NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue May 05, 2015 11:16 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:23 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Started on this probably two summers ago, and have tweaked and tweaked over time.

Don't read this and mistake me for someone who imagines this could actually be enacted any time soon. But it at least presents some elements that attempt to get us closer to a coherent system where, in spite of 128-ish schools and a limited calendar to fit all of it into... with this or something like this, it is all... all... decided on the field.

Notably, it only adds one additional game to the path than is currently on the calendar. But, like anything this ambitious, it certainly does require a few paradigm changes, some of which might be almost instantly lampooned, I know. And that's okay. Criticism... constructive, especially... is good. But hopefully some will read the fine print and find a lot to like, or at least, some aspects of it that they like... and will comment and say as much... we'll see.

Last edited by _sturt_ on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:20 pm 
Senior
Senior

That was quite the project and it's always enjoyable to see another person's detailed ideas. Great job in getting it out there!

I agree that Wake Forest would be the 1 power school including Notre Dame to be demoted to "Silver." Even though its a fairly populated state, 4 power schools in North Carolina is actually kind of silly seeing as Texas has 5, California has 4, and Florida only has 3.

I have always been a fan of a system involving promotion/relegation. It definitely has proven very effective in various soccer leagues around the world. With the 128 FBS schools + whoever else will be added/subtracted in the future, a fluid system would keep the competition at the higher ranks as strong as possible. I am not sure how feasible it is at the collegiate realm vs the professional realm.

I don't mind the extended season as long as it doesn't affect the health and education of the student-athletes. I am slightly confused as to the scheduling. Could you please give an example, using these conferences/divisions, of a gold schedule and a silver schedule? It may clear up any confusion people may have.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:42 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Scheduling?

Sure thing... for the moment, I'll put up these three b/c I'd already worked them up as a comparison so that people could see how it might have (remember there are 3 self-scheduled games for Gold) compared to the same teams' actual 2014 schedule. I'll try to do the same for a Silver school or two as I get some additional time.

Bear in mind that because of the uniqueness of this format where conferences annually get to slot their members into the various divisions (per the # of slots allotted to them in each region), in any year, the regular season schedule could look very similar to what a given school is used to seeing, or very different.

Quote:
I agree that Wake Forest would be the 1 power school including Notre Dame to be demoted to "Silver." Even though its a fairly populated state, 4 power schools in North Carolina is actually kind of silly seeing as Texas has 5, California has 4, and Florida only has 3.

To clarify, Wake Forest is used in this scenario as the initial #65 school (and that's just how I would think to refer to it) to be compelled to play in a Silver Division, but that that responsibility rotates each season among the 5 conferences that constitute the majority of Gold participants... and it would be up to each conference to determine for itself how they want to make that decision when it comes their turn to assign one of their schools to that, though you'd think they'd establish some pre-set criteria that identifies the least-successful-in-recent-years program and, thus, makes it an objective choice.

Also, not sure if I miscommunicated somehow... note that Notre Dame is part of the Orange Bowl Pool's National Gold Division.

Designation as Gold or Silver at the start, at least for 64 of the 65 contract conference schools is simply based on the fact--ie, membership in a contract conference.

Quote:
I have always been a fan of a system involving promotion/relegation. It definitely has proven very effective in various soccer leagues around the world. With the 128 FBS schools + whoever else will be added/subtracted in the future, a fluid system would keep the competition at the higher ranks as strong as possible. I am not sure how feasible it is at the collegiate realm vs the professional realm.

Glad we're in agreement.

In fact, I'm persuaded that anytime you have a large number of teams and a too-limited calendar to accommodate much of a regular season, pro/rel is the only authentically objective and reasonable option.

An evolution of this system that is perhaps different than any others that have been conceptualized is that

1) Even the relegated schools have a path to the national championship game... the difference being, theirs is a narrower path... ie, there are 7 Gold teams in each pool/region getting into the playoff bowls, and only 1 Silver.

2) The pro/reg framework produces some inherent drama every year, in that, every previous season's Silver champ has the opportunity to be promoted by repeating as champ, as long as they defeat the cross-division previous season's #8 Gold school (which is an automatically built-in game by virtue of the scheduling format)... then, too, there is drama in the point that that #8 Gold school can avoid being relegated by virtue of whether they end up the current season having defeated the school that ends up as the current season #8--so, every game the previous season's #8 plays carries some potential weight/consequences.

3) Maybe most importantly, this framework doesn't require conferences to admit into their ranks other schools that they don't desire to be part of their conference. It teases out the scheduling part from conference membership sufficiently that conferences have some flexibility to ensure that their rivalry games are still getting played for the most part. So they're still dividing up their revenues to the same 14 or 12 or 10 schools that they otherwise always have, and there are no consequences to basketball and other sports.

Thanks for your interest. It's always great to see it when someone can take the time to wade through something like this and respond coherently, asking some informed questions. Coming up with this has been its own rubik's cube... finally I just had to give-in to the fact that simple solutions just can't suffice because of the ripple effects that they fail to account for, and just the complexity of the different stakeholders' (conferences, schools, TV... and to you and me as fan) concerns/desires.