Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:36 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: half full or half empty?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:55 am 
All-Star
All-Star

pac and big 10 is chicken to get into more money. Your right its all about the money the "cartell" can get. The ncaa is like polticians.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:59 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
I have to plead ignorance on what the set-up the various conferences have with the networks, but do you think that the Big Ten and Pac Ten, by virtue of no divisions and thus more excitement at the end of their regular seasons, make up some of the difference by season ending revenue games like Michigan-Ohio St and UCLA-USC that the XXII and SEC can't duplicate????

Possibly. It was a foolish decision to end the annual nature of the Nebraska vs. Oklahoma rivalry; Surely the Big 12 would love to see that played right before/after Texas vs A&M. Then there's Alabama vs. Auburn. After that, most of the great rivalries are interconference and thus cannot replicate for one conference what UM/OSU does for the Big 10.

Then again, that rivalry game is one of the great paradoxes (using this correctly?) of the college game; The game is big because the history and size of the programs involved has made it so, but in order for it to stay so prominant the rest of the conference must always be subordinate to this order. The likelihood of a championship game payday and greater appeal for other Big 10 schools is limited to what the conference will allow without overshadowing this game.
In that sense, I view the rivalry kind of like Notre Dame, a great tradition that might have to make some sacrifices for the betterment of the game overall. I don't suspect the rivalry would suffer if the conference went to 12 and had a championship game, in fact that act might save the rivalry when their records aren't as good but a championship game berth is on the line.
With a championship game there's always a reason to pay attention, whereas some years a rivalry game may have only that tradition to offer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:38 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The real reason the Nebraska-Oklahoma rivalry went under is because of Nebraska. >:( Nebraska has been acting like the whiny little kid that didn't get their own way ever since the Big 12 was formed. That's why a lot of Big 12 fans hate Nebraska, and love to see the Cornhuskers get beat. In the Big 8, the 'Huskers wielded a lot of power in conference politics. In the Big 12, the 'Huskers lost that power, and they've been griping about it ever since!!! Oklahoma wants the rivalry back on a regular basis, and even went so far as to propose to have the game played OOC in years the two didn't face each other in conference play. However, Nebraska refused. Therefore, blame Nebraska's athletic department on the loss of that traditional rivalry!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:11 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Posted by: DawgNDuckFan Posted on: Today at 1:38pm

Quote:
The real reason the Nebraska-Oklahoma rivalry went under is because of Nebraska. In the Big 8, the 'Huskers wielded a lot of power in conference politics. In the Big 12, the 'Huskers lost that power, and they've been griping about it ever since!!! Oklahoma wants the rivalry back on a regular basis, and even went so far as to propose to have the game played OOC in years the two didn't face each other in conference play. However, Nebraska refused.

I can't place all of this on Nebraska, since obviously when the divisions were drawn and schedules made, niether OU or the Cornhuskers Nation made a motion to establish inter-divisional rival games. As for the out-of-conference notion, one only has to read other threads and articles concerning school budgets to understand why this idea may have been literally too expensive for Nebraska to handle. I'm not sure, but it's possible.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:18 pm 
As I stated in another thread on another forum, it can justifiably be argued that the Big 8 schools unnecessarily granted certain conditions to the Texas schools upon the "formation" of the Big "XII" conference. Notwithstanding its rivalry and relationship vis-a-vis A&M, UT did not want to become a member of the Big 12 in the first place; they first and foremost wanted to become the 12th member of the Big Ten.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:23 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Makes sense academically, and this has been rumored before, but is first time that I heard the version that TEXAS WANTED IT. Before I had heard there were discreet inquiries from Big10. I heard Colorado rumors about the same time....

Sort of glad it never happened. I like "geographic contiguity" for conferences...(smile)
:)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:33 pm 
Senior
Senior

Makes sense academically, and this has been rumored before, but is first time that I heard the version that TEXAS WANTED IT. Before I had heard there were discreet inquiries from Big10. I heard Colorado rumors about the same time....

Sort of glad it never happened. I like "geographic contiguity" for conferences...(smile)

Javaman, would Texas really have considered Big Ten membership without A&M going with it? Seems to me that it would have been a disaster for the Longhorns to have all its opponents so far away.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:00 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I agree bgdz. I suspect this was all in a strange time when there were some who thought conferences such as Pac10 or Big10 might go "national". Probably right after some of the schools started sucessfully challenging the NCAA tv monopoly. Glad everyone came to their senses quickly...
8-)

Last edited by javaman on Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:25 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Rumours were that Texas was interested but the B10 had doubts about bringing in someone so far away. Odd thing is, B10 makes more geographic sense than the Pac 10 for Texas as the schools are all closer than the AZ schools.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:47 am 
All-Star
All-Star

so now that the acc petition failed what happens now the only reason the acc brought in miami and va tech was for that championship game money. so do they go after another school pit or west virginia or maybe a south carolina or ecu. Any thoughts on this. BTW I knew it wasn't going to pass guys come on its about money, money and pride.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:16 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Coaches question ACC divisional play
DAVID DROSCHAK
Associated Press

Atlantic Coast Conference officials and administrators may vote next week on divisional play for football when Miami and Virginia Tech join the league in 2004.

While most of the ACC coaches say Florida State and Miami should be in opposite divisions, some believe there are problems trying to split up an odd number of teams.

The addition of the two Big East schools will leave the ACC with 11 teams, likely creating a six- and five-team division if the league is granted permission by the NCAA to stage a playoff game.

"While I am an advocate of a conference playoff I am only an advocate of that if there are two six-team divisions," Virginia coach Al Groh said Wednesday. "If you have a five and a six it's just out of whack.

"If we're going to have a playoff I would prefer to do it the right way. If that means we have to get moving to get a 12th member, then that's what I would prefer."

Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe sides with Groh. Grobe was a former coach in the Mid-American Conference when that league divided 13 teams into two divisions.

He said it was a mess.

"Every year we spent more time in the press talking about the odd number of teams and how it was unfair to some teams and an advantage to other teams that we didn't much about football in the Mid-American Conference," Grobe said.