NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:43 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: FB Czar game
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:53 pm 
Senior
Senior

If I am reading and interpreting the post correctly, these are the positions of the Czars.

DawgNDuck: He would demote some bottom feeders, add a 5th BCS bowl, and not allow a team to go to a bowl with a .500 record.

FBfan: He (I) would not allow teams to run a deficit. He would have 3 division 1 classifications. He is opposed to NCAA scheduling. Plus, he would raise the attendance rule for the highest classification.

MichaelR: He would demote some bottom feeders. He wants 3 virtual classifications, although the BCS and non-BCS would not necessarily have a different letter classification. He would keep the 15k attendance rule AND not allow schools to run a deficit in the AD. He would also add a 5th BCS bowl.

Arpmanny: He would freeze the number of 1A schools. He would have the NCAA schedule 2 games for each team to create a more balanced schedule, and have a playoff.

Gunnerfan: He wants each team to have 5 road games as well as 5 home. He would replace the 15K attendance rule with one requiring a balanced budget. He wants a smaller 1A.

Joedadi: He wants to keep 1A and 1AA as they are, and keep the 15K rule. He wants 20 bowls with the top 40 teams only.

If I have misinterpreted anyone, please let me know. Also, would anyone be willing to vote for someone elses' idea if they would vote for yours? With 6 Czars, we would need 4 votes for an idea to pass.

The 15K rule has 3 votes to stay. MichaelR, Joedadi, and Fbfan. A balanced budget has 3 votes. Arpmany, Gunnerfan, and Fbfan. (I like both.) How much support there is for sending some current 1A teams down to 1AA is not clear. Which teams should go varies widely. There is also some disagreement for how much movement there should be between classifications.

I might be willing to trade my vote for 5 road games for a vote on something I like. Can we get 4 votes on anything?

FBfan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:50 pm 
Senior
Senior

Last try. On another thread, I saw articles about the 15K attendance rule. The MAC was argueing that a longer probation for offenders would lead to "more stability." My answer is simple. Keep the 15K attendance rule as is with 1 or 2 yr probation, but require 1AA's moving up to average 18K per yr for 3 yrs B4 becoming 1A. Once they reach 1A, they would have to maintain the 15K. This would have several benefits.

1. Stability. Teams that average 18K are unlikely to suddenly fall below 15K because of a bad year or 2. It would be rare for a team to change twice in the same decade.

2. It would slow, if not stop the floor of 1AA teams moving up. 1A is experiencing a population explosion IMHO. This limits access without harming marginal teams.

3. Teams that average 18K have income to be somewhat competitive. Prove you belong B4 you demand 1A priveleges.

4. It gives bubble teams incentive to get off the bubble.
Teams that do fall back to 1AA are unlikely to return the next year... or even in 3.

Comments?

FBfan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:54 pm 
If I might add my input into the FB Czars game...

My scenario would consist of the addition of a fifth BCS bowl, the Cotton Bowl, and a new rule stating that one of the now ten BCS teams MUST be from outside one of the six BCS conferences. Each Division 1-A team plays a twelve game schedule, needing seven wins to be considered bowl elgible. Adopting DawgNDuck's plan, all-sports membership in a conference is mandatory, and there are no independents.

-----ACC (12 teams)-----

East- Miami, Maryland, UNC, Duke, Wake, N.C. State

West- UVa, VT, FSU, Louisville, Clemson, Ga. Tech

-----Big East (16 teams, 10 football playing members)-----
Two eight team divisions for basketball, one ten team division for football. *=denotes non-football member

East- BC, UConn, Villanova (goes 1-A), Rutgers, Providence*, Georgetown*, St. John's*, Seton Hall*

West- Notre Dame, Cincy, Marshall, WVU, Pitt, Syracuse, DePaul*, Marquette*

-----Big Ten (12 teams)-----

East- OSU, PSU, MSU, Michigan, IU, Purdue

West- Northwestern, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Mizzou, Illinois

-----Big XII (12 teams)-----

North- Colorado, CSU, Iowa State, Nebraska, Kansas, K-State

South- Texas, TAMU, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, OSU, Baylor

-----Pac-12? (12 teans)-----

North- WSU, Washington, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, OSU

South- USC, UCLA, ASU, Arizona, UNLV, SDSU

-----SEC (12 teams)-----

Stays the same

-----Conference USA (14 teams)-----

East- ECU, UAB, Memphis, UCF, USF, Army, Navy

West- Tulane, TCU, Houston, SMU, Tulsa, La. Tech, So. Miss

-----Mountain West (12 Teams)-----

East- Utah, USU, AFA, BYU, NM, Wyoming

West- Fresno, Hawaii, SJSU, Nevada, Idaho, Boise State

-----MAC (12 teams)-----

East- Akron, Buffalo, Kent, Miami, Ohio U., Toledo

West- NIU, EMU, WMU, CMU, BGSU, Ball State

-----Sun Belt (12 teams)-----

East- FAMU, FIU, FAU, MTSU, TSU, ASU

West- Rice, ULL, ULM, UNT, UTEP, NMSU

-----Atlantic 10 (12 teams)-----

Just for fun, not 1-A football

East- UMass, URI, La Salle, Fordham, St. Joe's, Temple (drops to 1-AA)

West- UR, GWU, Xavier, Dayton, Duquense, Charlotte

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 5:45 pm 
I'd like to vote for JHG's plan with one slight modification (if we can have line item veto ;) ): I'd like to make the A10 IA. :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 5:49 pm 
Also add Maine, Delaware, and App. State to the A10.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:36 am 
Senior
Senior

I have started to like the idea of 1-AA teams moving up and 1-A teams moving down happening at the same time. I would require all 1A teams to average 15K per game over a five year period AND average 15K per game/per year for at least 3 of those years. 1AA schools moving up would have to declare their intention 3 years B4 the deadline and average 18k per game for that time period. 1AA schools moving up would trade their conference schedules with the geographically closest 1A school moving down where possible. The changes would happen on a 5 year schedule.

Also, I am now more inclined to allow the NCAA to schedule 1 or 2 games per year if it is done at the end of the season as part of a de facto playoff. The last 2 weeks of the season would have the best playing the best, and the worst playing the worst.

FBfan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:08 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I'll play. Here is my situation. Add a 5th BCS game. 8 Conference Champions from Big 12, SEC, ACC, Big 10, Pac 10, Big East, MWC, and C-USA. I have 10 Conferences, no independents.

ACC
North
Boston College
Duke
Maryland
North Carolina
Virginia
Virginia Tech
South
Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Miami
North Carolina State
Wake Forest

Big 10
East
Indiana
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue
West
Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Northwestern
Notre Dame
Wisconsin

Big 12
North
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Missouri
Missouri State (SMS)
Nebraska
South
Baylor
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech

Big East
East
Army*
Connecticut
Navy*
Rutgers
Syracuse
Temple
West
Cincinnati
Louisville
Marshall
Pittsburgh
South Florida
West Virginia
*Football Only

Conference USA
East
East Carolina
Memphis
Southern Miss
Tulane
UAB
UCF
West
Houston
Louisiana Tech
Rice
SMU
Tulsa
UTEP

Mountain West
East
Air Force
Boise State
Colorado State
New Mexico
TCU
Wyoming
West
BYU
Fresno State
Nevada
San Diego State
UNLV
Utah

Pac 12
North
Colorado
Hawaii
Oregon
Oregon State
Washington
Washington State
South
Arizona
Arizona State
California
Stanford
UCLA
USC

MAC
East
Akron
Bowling Green
Buffalo
Kent State
Miami
Ohio
West
Ball State
Central Michigan
Eastern Michigan
Northern Illinois
Toledo
Western Michigan

Sun Belt
East
Arkansas State
Florida A&M
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Middle Tennessee
Troy
West
Idaho*
Louisiana-Lafayette
Louisiana-Monroe
New Mexico State*
North Texas
Utah State*
*Football Only (Big Sky in other sports)

San Jose State drops program, Florida A&M and Southwest Missouri State(Missouri State) moves up to D1.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:14 am 
Junior
Junior

Ok, what I do is keep most of the bowls, but work a playoff in as well. In place of the BCS, I implement a system that still uses four championship bowls per year, but are drawn randomly out of pool of the 12 most prestigious and historic bowls each year.

The playoff model would be a 8-16 team loser-bracket model, as illustrated below:

Since I'm liking the 8-team model, I'd like to get the right teams in somehow. Since I can now scramble up the world of I-A football, I'm going to create these guidelines:

- Conferences must consist of 14 to 18 teams total
- There must be 3 divisions in each conference
- Divisions must consist of 4 to 6 teams

This should average at about 15 teams per conference, and since there are ~120 I-A teams, 120/15 = 8 conferences.

The playoff system for football will have 4-team conference tourneys to setup the national tourney. The 3 division champs, plus one at-large will enter each conference's tourney. The conference playoff income will be spread equally throughout the conference. For the national tourney income, the conference representative gets 12.5% of the proceeds from the games it participates in, while the rest of the conference shares the other 37.5% equally. All preliminary playoff games before the final bowls will be held at the higher seed's home stadium.

The regular season will have 6 conference games, with 3-5 divisional foes, and misc. conference teams to fill it out. There will be a max of 3 OOC games, making seasons no longer than 9 games.

Since I want a pretty balanced composition of teams, I will start out by selecting a marquee team from each major region of the U.S.

North-Atlantic -- Penn State
Great Lakes -- Michigan
South-Atlantic -- Florida
Gulf-South -- Auburn
Ohio Valley -- Tennessee
Great Plains -- Texas
Rocky Mountain -- Colorado
Pacific -- UCLA

Using these schools as nuclei for the respective conferences, I came up with the following lineup via a mock draft.

The Yankee Conference
{
A
{
Buffalo
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
West Virginia
}
B
{
Army
Boston College
Connecticut
Rutgers
Temple
}
C
{
Marshall
Maryland
Navy
Virginia
Virginia Tech
}
}

Hurricane Conference
{
A
{
Florida
Florida Atlc.
Florida Intl.
Miami
USF
UCF
}
B
{
Clemson
Florida State
Georgia
Georgia Tech
South Carolina
}
C
{
Duke
East Carolina
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Wake Forest
}
}

Gulf Coast Conference
{
A
{
Alabama
Auburn
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Troy State
}
B
{
LSU
Louisiana
Louisiana Tech
Southern Miss
Tulane
}
C
{
Houston
North Texas
Rice
TCU
SMU
}
}

River Valley Conference
{
A
{
Louisville
MTSU
Tennessee
UAB
Vanderbilt
}
B
{
Arkansas State
Indiana
Louisiana-Monroe
Memphis
Missouri
}
C
{
Ball State
Cincinnati
Kentucky
Miami-Ohio
Ohio
}
}

Great Lakes Athletic Conference
{
A
{
Akron
Bowling Green
Kent State
Ohio State
Toledo
}
B
{
Central Michigan
Eastern Michigan
Michigan
Michigan State
Notre Dame
Western Michigan
}
C
{
Illinois
Northern Illinois
Northwestern
Purdue
Wisconsin
}
}

Heartland Conference
{
A
{
Iowa
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Minnesota
Nebraska
}
B
{
Arkansas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
Tulsa
}
C
{
Baylor
Nex Mexico State
Texas
Texas A&M
UTEP
}
}

Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference
{
A
{
Air Force
Colorado
Colorado State
New Mexico
Wyoming
}
B
{
Arizona
Arizona State
BYU
San Diego State
UNLV
}
C
{
Boise St.
*Montana
*Montana State
Utah
Utah State
}
}

Pacific Coast Conference
{
A
{
Oregon State
*Portland State
Washington
Washington State
Idaho
}
B
{
Cal
Nevada
Oregon
Stanford
*Sacramento State
}
C
{
Cal State (FKA Fresno State)
Hawaii
San Jose State
UCLA
USC
}
}

* denotes moved up from I-AA

Sure there is disparity between members, but the point is to distribute the power over every conference, while keeping somewhat similar pairings to the current reality.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:48 pm 
Senior
Senior

It's that time of year again. Even the fans of teams that did well are stuck with "wait till next year" ;) Let the games begin!

I have decicded that I don't care there are officially 1,2 or 3 D1 classifications. What I do care about is balance and accountability. Therefore as czar I am making a change.

1. First of all though, I am exempting FB teams that TAKE IN MORE THAN THEY SPEND (I. e. make a profit-even if only $1) from Title IX.

2. Since I did #1, I will DEMAND NO college FB program can run a deficit. Money spent on capital improvements can be amortized, but the accounting MUST be G.A.A.P. (Generall Accepted Accounting Principals - a legal term in the accounting profession.). The 15k attendance can be dropped since schools with small attendance would HAVE to reduce scholarships.

3. Since fan and donar base can affect the number of scholarships a school can afford, The total number of schlorships allowed would be determined by the conference. All schools with schlorship athletes in FB will be D1.

4. The 25 scholarship per year rule would be dropped to 22 or 30% of total-whichever is less. Athletes would have 5 to play 5 with NO red-shirts unless the athlete has missed more than 12 games do to injury.

5. Athletes transfering in good standing (grades and progress in # of hours) would NOT count against graduation for the school that they left, unless they did not enroll elsewhere. The school receiving them would count them like a ju-co.

6. While #3 has made all schools D1, the playoff used in 1AA will still be used schools with less than 63 scholorships. Conferences with maximums above 63 can either set up a playoff OR (definately not and)stay with a bowl system. If the chose a playoff, they must have conferences with a total of at least 40 teams, and no more than 10% of the teams can get in the playoff. If the conference choses the bowl system, schools must have a winning record (no 6-6 teams), and only the top 40% of the schools under the bowl system can go. That is total bowl schools-some coferences can have more than 40% if others have less, just like the playoffs. The number that a specific comference sends to bowls should not be fixed.

7. All schools wanting to change conferences will do so at the same time on 5 year intervals. Schools that want to move to a bigger conference will let the czar (NCAA) know, and the fact will be kept quiet untill an opening is available in the bigger conference. Schools moving down will be assisted by the NCAA Czar to find a smaller conference. A school that fails to meet the financial criteria will be forceably assisted to move down.

So there you hav my latest. All the schools can clami D1, but the big schools will not be hampered by rules to save money for small schools. Also, conferances will be protected from raids, like that of the ACC on the BE and the BE on C-USA.

FBfan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:04 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I'm changing a few of my positions as czar as well. ;)

1. I would establish 3 divisions in IA. Each division would have its own football playoff. Also, basketball would see some changes because there would be at least two divisions of IA in basketball under my plan. My main basketball tournaments would be the NCAA for IA, and the NIT for IAA and possibly IAAA, if I decide against giving IAAA its own tournament.
2. All-sports membership in conferences is a must unless a school falls under one of the following exemptions:
a. The school does not have football or scholarship football.
b. The conference does not offer football and/or all-sports.
3. Conference membership in IA and IAA must at least consist of 8 all-sports members, no less. IAAA must have a conference membership of at least 6 teams. (Rules 2 & 3 impact ND and Villanova, who would be forced to re-evaluate their conference situation.)
4. These divisions (IA, IAA, IAAA) would be determined by the number of scholarships a school decides to offer.
5. The BCS committee would be replaced by a committee comprised of 18 members. Six members would be from the current BCS bowls and one non-BCS bowl, six members would come from the current BCS conferences, and six members would come from the current coalition (non-BCS) conferences. This committee would select what team goes to what BCS bowl.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:18 pm 

Quote:
YOU are the FB czar. You have control of all bowl and TV contracts, and can change conference affialiations and promote or demote teams for 1A or 1AA. If you wish, you can even break Div 1 into 3 or more subdivisions (ie 1A, 1AA, 1AAA or A, B, C etc).

The competition is for 1. The "most out of the box" idea. PLEASE not crazy to to be crazy, but constructivly crazy.
2. The idea you would most like to be adopted.
3. Idea with most chance of success.

Voting is by posting. You may vote for any idea but yours. You may vote once for every idea you post!! You may post several ideas at once by numbering them. Ideas must be posted 1st, but do not have to be posted seperately. Borrowing ideas from other threads is ok, but due credit is appriciated for the last to catagories. Not for the 1st! ;)

FBfan

Create the National Collegiate Football Association (NCFA) with 4 divisions based on average attendace and schol. All colleges with football teams (NCAA, NAIA, NJCAA) will have to be members or choose to not sponser football.

DI is higher than 30k 88 max schol. D2 is 10k-30k 66 max schol. D3 is 5k-10k 44 max schol. D4 is under 5k 22 max schol. Any team can offer any amount of schol. (including 0) under their max so long as they meet the attendance requirement (redone every 5 years). Interdivision play is allowed only in traditional rivalry cases and on a case by case basis.

Each team plays 12 regular season games and then the best 16 (selection committe) go to a 4 week playoff.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:43 am 
Senior
Senior

Out of the box ;D

On 4 March '05 on the Dream thread (page 12), ChicagoGOBLUE suggested a set up with 7 conferences of 2 divisions with 8 teams in each division. The divisions for each econference were Premier and Championship. The Premier league (division) had the top schools, and the Championship league had the teams that most Czars would put in 1B(2nd tier). He also had a 6 team "League One" for the leftover teams.

I also like the way that he pared the 1A and 1B conferences so that a 1A moving down, or a 1B moving up would still stay in their same reigon. By reducing 1A to 56 teams, and making 1B 56, you have a stable number. I would eleminate "League One".

The "out of the box" idea that I want to add is to have the 11th (or 12th) game to be a home game for the 1A teams and and away game for the 1B (or Championship) teams. The best of the Championship teams would play at the best of the Premier(1A) schools...the worst Championship at the worst Premier.
Any Championship team that won would be in the Premier playoffs.

FBfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:38 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

All of your comments on the Dream thread were very thoughtful - thanks.

Anyway, I'm not wedded to the idea of of the 4 extra teams in the SEC, necessitating a "League One." That being said, there are two solutions, as I see it:

• Eliminate the 5 worst programs (send them to D1-AA, or
  • Incorporate all of the D1-AA programs, adding lesser leagues/divisions to each conference.

Additionally, I'd like to state that I am firmly against a playoff system. Of course, I also hate the BCS. In my humble opinion, one of the wonderful things about CFB is the intensity every week. Michigan tends to lose early to some bad team, ruining the rest of my fall, but I prefer it that way.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:43 pm 
Ok, I think I've finally got it!!!
1. The Rose Bowl, IMO, is one of the BCS' biggest problems. As football czar I would demote the Rose Bowl to a second tier bowl (it would still involve the Pac 10 and the Big Ten, but the Big 10 and the Pac 10 would send their champions to a totally different bowl). Basically the Rose Bowl would be what the Cotton Bowl is right now.
2. The Cotton Bowl would take the Rose Bowl's place in the BCS.
3. My fifth bowl added to the BCS would be the Citrus bowl.
4. BCS bowls would not be allowed to always have a particular conference champion always playing in their bowl. BCS bowls would be determined by BCS standings, with the higher seed hosting the lower seed.
#1 vs #2, #3 vs #4, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:28 am 
Senior
Senior

DawgNDuckfan,

You're right about the Rose causing most of the problems. However, why not just drop them to 2nd tier, and go with 3 bowls. The Fiesta, Orange and Sugar would rotate between the Championship game, the game matching 1 vs 4, and the 2 vs 3 games. The 1-4 and 2-3 would be held on the Saturday before New Years, and the Championship game the Saturday after.

The Rose would alway get the Pac10 vs the Big 10 unless 1 or those teams were in the top 4. The Citrus would take the SEC champ and the Cotton would take the Big 12. The ACC and Big East would probably be their fixed opponants, but could swap if it meant a rematch. (Like FL-FL ST). Of course, the BCS would be taking 1 thru 4.

FBfan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next