NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:53 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: FB Czar game
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:03 am 
Freshman
Freshman

There are two things that make College Football great:

1. Tradition
2. Urgency

Tradition rivalries, bowl affiliations, conference "character" (e.g., Big Ten: 3 yds & a cloud of dust; Big 8: wishbone offense; Pac-10: wide-open offense)

Urgency the fact that the whole season is practically a tournament. If you lose, your national champion aspirations are pretty much done.

Therefore, any realignment, national champ scheme has to honor these two.

Tradition
Rivalries. Realignment based on historical rivalries (except Notre Dame-USC).
Bowl Affiliation. Return to Cotton Bowl-Southwest Conference, Orange Bowl-Big 8, Rose Bowl-Big Ten-Pac-10, and Sugar Bowl-SEC affiliations.
Conference Character. This has already lost much truth, and the natural evolution of the game will continue to undermine its existence.

Urgency
I think any sort of playoff system will destroy the sense of urgency that accompanies every Saturday. You're not going to be as worried about losing a game if you know there's a tournament at the end "that really matters." I say stick with the traditional bowl matchups (and put them back on New Year's Day). Just add the flexibility to add a playoff, as needed, after the bowls. After the bowl games, if there is more than one team with the best record, you take all the teams with the best record and throw into a playoff, seeded by a selection committee.
To the argument that you can't schedule a playoff that late, I say, look at Major League Baseball. You have no way of knowing if Games 5, 6, and 7 will be necessary, but the option is there if needed.

Just my $0.02

Last edited by chicagogoblue on Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:05 am 
If a tournament only takes the top 16, wouldn't losing 2 games be just as devistating to your chances of getting into the tournament?

Obviously.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:07 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Sure, but you're saying it's OK to lessen the importance of all the regular season games, which I don't agree with.

You more you give teams a shot at the end of the year, the more the dilute the importance of the regular season.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:13 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Combine this plan with realignment scheme on the other thread. Assume that in the regular season, Oklahoma beats Utah, and USC beats Boise St. In this scenario, the bowls might have looked like this:

Cotton: Cal & Texas
Rose: Michigan @ USC
Sugar: Utah @ Auburn
Orange: Oklahoma @ Louisville

Now, assume that Texas, USC, Auburn, and Oklahoma win. USC, Auburn, and Oklahoma are all still undefeated.

A selection committee seeds them:

1. USC
2. OU
3. Aub

Sat, Jan 8 @ neutral site: OU vs. Aub
Sat, Jan 15 @ neutral site: USC vs. OU/Aub winner for National Championship.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:13 am 
2 major things that I wish would happen by next season:

1. Get rid of the sub divisions in division 1 football.

That's exactly how it is for every other sport and how it is for division 2 and division 3 football.

2. Have 2 16 team division 1 playoffs. 1 for schools with 63 scholarships and 1 for schools with 85.

You either sponsor 63 or 85. If you can't do 85, then do 63. If you can't do 63 then go to DII or drop football.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:15 am 

Quote:
Combine this plan with realignment scheme on the other thread. Assume that in the regular season, Oklahoma beats Utah, and USC beats Boise St. In this scenario, the bowls might have looked like this:

Cotton: Cal & Texas
Rose: Michigan @ USC
Sugar: Utah @ Auburn
Orange: Oklahoma @ Louisville

Now, assume that Texas, USC, Auburn, and Oklahoma win. USC, Auburn, and Oklahoma are all still undefeated.

A selection committee seeds them:

1. USC
2. OU
3. Aub

Sat, Jan 8 @ neutral site: OU vs. Aub
Sat, Jan 15 @ neutral site: USC vs. OU/Aub winner for National Championship.

This is a playoff.

Why would you want to dilute the importance of the regular season? ::) ::) ::)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:16 am 

Quote:
Sure, but you're saying it's OK to lessen the importance of all the regular season games, which I don't agree with.

You more you give teams a shot at the end of the year, the more the dilute the importance of the regular season.

The BCS dilutes the regular season more than a playoff would.

It automatically makes any team with a loss not worth watching as they won't be able to get picked for the national championship.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:02 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Yes, but as I said, >:( there's only a playoff b/c one is needed. If USC is the only 0-loss team to win it's bowl, they are declared the National Championship. Season over.

If USC and OU both win, they play a game a week after the bowls.

If USC, Auburn, and OU all lose, you have a 7-team playoff among all the 1-loss teams.

You only have a playoff if you need one. There is still every incentive to go out an play every regular season game as if it's do or die. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Quote:

This is a playoff.

Why would you want to dilute the importance of the regular season? ::) ::) ::)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:40 pm 

Quote:
Yes, but as I said, >:( there's only a playoff b/c one is needed. If USC is the only 0-loss team to win it's bowl, they are declared the National Championship. Season over.

If USC and OU both win, they play a game a week after the bowls.

If USC, Auburn, and OU all lose, you have a 7-team playoff among all the 1-loss teams.

You only have a playoff if you need one. There is still every incentive to go out an play every regular season game as if it's do or die. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Obviously you have that same incentive with a 16 team playoff.

If only 16 out of 117 teams are going then 2 loses makes it hard to get in.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:36 am 
Freshman
Freshman

You keep saying "obviously" when in fact, what you are saying is the furthest thing from. If you lose one, you'd still most likely get into a 16-team tournament. In 2004, a 16-team tourney would have given a handful of 2-loss (Georgia, VA Tech, Iowa, LSU, Mich, Wisconsin) and a couple of 3-loss teams (Miami & Tennessee) a chance to win the national championship. If 1, 2, or even 3 losses don't matter, what value is the regular season?

Quote:

Obviously you have that same incentive with a 16 team playoff.

If only 16 out of 117 teams are going then 2 loses makes it hard to get in.

Last edited by chicagogoblue on Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:38 pm 

Quote:
You keep saying "obviously" when in fact, what you are saying is the furthest thing from. If you lose one, you'd still most likely get into a 16-team tournament. In 2004, a 16-team tourney would have given a handful of 2-loss (Georgia, VA Tech, Iowa, LSU, Mich, Wisconsin) and a couple of 3-loss teams (Miami & Tennessee) a chance to win the national championship. If 1, 2, or even 3 losses don't matter, what value is the regular season?

It makes it more valuable than the BCS.

As soon as a team loses 1 game, who gives a hoot about the rest of their season? It might as well be over.

With a playoff, your team can lose 1 or maybe 2 and still be in the playoff. Lots more people will watch the regular season with a playoff.

Obviously.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:13 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Well that's different. I can't defend the BCS. It also sounds like you and I place priority on different aspects of the game. I like the urgency of every week. You want to protect a team from the occassional fluke loss against a lesser team.

Quote:

It makes it more valuable than the BCS.

As soon as a team loses 1 game, who gives a hoot about the rest of their season? It might as well be over.

With a playoff, your team can lose 1 or maybe 2 and still be in the playoff. Lots more people will watch the regular season with a playoff.

Obviously.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:50 pm 

Quote:
Well that's different. I can't defend the BCS. It also sounds like you and I place priority on different aspects of the game. I like the urgency of every week. You want to protect a team from the occassional fluke loss against a lesser team.

All I know is that more people will be watching the regular season games with more interest in my system.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:55 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Not true. Look at college basketball or the NHL.

Quote:

All I know is that more people will be watching the regular season games with more interest in my system.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:31 am 

Quote:
Not true. Look at college basketball or the NHL.

In those systems, teams can get into the playoffs with multi digit losses.

Obviously not true of a football playoff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next