NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:32 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Go SOUTH To Expand?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:59 pm 
Looking at recent conference expansions and realignments, notice how many have reached for "southern schools"? Of the eleven division 1-A conferences, only three will not have a school in their ranks not being from the "old Confederacy". Soon, the MAC may be out of the "3" if it takes in Middle Tennessee and Western Kentucky, a border state campus. Take a look:
1. SEC - obviously all "southern"
2. ACC - very southern, excluding border state "Maryland" and of course New England BC.
3. C-USA - revamped to be all southern ( treating all of Texas as being southern).
4. Sun Belt - all southern except Idaho
5. Big 12 - Southern division is pretty darn southern
6. MWC - added TCU - that's also southern
7. Big East - Louisville (on the edge & viewed southern, but South Florida is geographically--south.
8. WAC - has La Tech, and if expands - may be more of Louisiana and other Sun Belt schools).

The MAC is losing Central Florida (south) and Marshall (looks south) but if changes/expands--look south again?

Only the Big 10 and PAC 10 can say they are steadily "south free".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:38 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Having spent a laundry-induced morning in rural Maryland, it doesn't take much to be reminded that the Old Line State is, in fact, south of the Mason-Dixon Line.

This just goes to show how fashionable it is to recruit Texas and Florida... something to remember if you wonder someday why the WAC goes after North Texas and not Idaho.

Last edited by pounder on Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:44 pm 

I, FOR ONE, AM WILLING TO OFFER UP THE ROSE BOWL WINNER TO PLAY THE BEST OF THOSE REDNECKS AT A NEW BOWL GAME IN GETTYSBURG, OR (IF THE GOOD OL' BOYS PREFER) APPOMATOX!

(UNLESS, OF COURSE, THE MOST MONUMENTAL SHOCK IN THE HISTORY OF COLLEGE SPORTS FINDS I.U. WINNING IN PASADENA; BLOOMINGTON AND I.U. MAY BE NORTH OF THE OHIO R. AND THE MASON-DIXON LINE, BUT THEY SURE AS HECK DON'T FEEL LIKE IT)

THE NORTH WILL RISE AGAIN!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:34 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Yes, isn't it great?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:39 pm 
Junior
Junior

Quote:

I, FOR ONE, AM WILLING TO OFFER UP THE ROSE BOWL WINNER TO PLAY THE BEST OF THOSE REDNECKS AT A NEW BOWL GAME IN GETTYSBURG, OR (IF THE GOOD OL' BOYS PREFER) APPOMATOX!

(UNLESS, OF COURSE, THE MOST MONUMENTAL SHOCK IN THE HISTORY OF COLLEGE SPORTS FINDS I.U. WINNING IN PASADENA; BLOOMINGTON AND I.U. MAY BE NORTH OF THE OHIO R. AND THE MASON-DIXON LINE, BUT THEY SURE AS HECK DON'T FEEL LIKE IT)

THE NORTH WILL RISE AGAIN!

Yes, Indiana = Larry Bird & Woody from Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:49 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:

Yes, Indiana = Larry Bird & Woody from Cheers.

I thought Woody was from Texas. Isn't his father incarcerated there for murder?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:25 pm 
Junior
Junior

Quote:

I thought Woody was from Texas. Isn't his father incarcerated there for murder?

The Cheers character Harrelson played was from Indiana (they used the fact that he and Bird were both in Boston in alot of jokes)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:44 pm 
Senior
Senior

Georgia Southern University: By the year 2020, enrollment is projected to reach 25,000 according to GSU Foundation magazine. Several doctoral programs are now offered.

The University recently commissioned a study to move up to the Football Bowl Subdivision. It has filed a call with the State of Georgia purchasing officials for bids from interested companies to conduct the study. A successful bidder should be identified in a matter of weeks according to the AD.

Georgia only has two FBS schools: UGA & GT. And they are in a different section of the State.

GSU is within 50 miles of Savannah and both the
South Carolina and Florida state lines are easy drives. Among the schools that could move up with decent ease, this may be one of the best with capabilities. Whatever conference that may get them if they do move up, may find a favorable institution and market in southeast Georgia.

Last edited by louisvillecard01 on Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.