It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:46 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A Political Scenario
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:23 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Something I can see happening:

A Barack Obama administration sending a request to professional leagues and the NCAA to operate in an energy saving manner in order to set an example for us citizens. Reduce travel.

There's several ways this can go... including, perhaps, a Title IX tradeoff. Does D-1 change admission requirements? Does FBS? What sports survive? Are conferences realigned, and if so, how? Do the big schools (not simply the BCS, but the biggest of the big) fight it, or do they work within this framework, yet steer things to their advantage?

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:40 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Barring legislation mandating this, I think the Universities would give the President lip service on this issue.

I also doubt obama would push it. one of the things I like about obama is that he seems to get that if elected --- even if he gets a near super majority in congress that is likely to result if he wins --- he will only have a finite amount of political capital.

He doesn't seem eager to "pick fights" with his policies, so I doubt that it would ever be pushed into law --- the only way I can see the universities taking action on his (theoretical) suggestions.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:49 pm 
Senior
Senior

Freaked may have posted a similar Fanblogs post:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/05/15/teams-want-in-the-big-east-doesnt-want-the/

This is offered because it reflects on recruiting. Not much is often noted that Memphis is in the middle of congested recruiting grounds, surrounded by Ole Miss, Miss. State, Arkansas, Arkansas State (SunBelt, across the river), Tennessee, and Vandy, though the Commodores have a broad-based approach being an expensive private institution.
Not sure how the SEC would welcome another BCS school in their midst that's also not part of them.
ACC does not want East Carolina, and schools such as UNC, NCSU, and Virginia, may be happy seeing East Carolina stay in C-USA.
Do FSU, UF, and Miami want UCF in the BCS? USF perhaps would like a partner of convenience, but probably not added recruiting and bowl competition and perhaps seeks to remain appearing "a cut above" with their only-one-in Fla. BE membership.
Sports politics is not always limited to a particular conference and a few schools trying to get noticed. Sometimes, it is "we don't want you", but "don't want someone else notable having you either".

Last edited by louisvillecard01 on Sun May 18, 2008 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:49 am 
All-Star
All-Star

First off: My concept of "suggestion" means that the president wouldn't really be picking a fight.

So I finally have a crystalized thought here:

I don't see BCS SCHOOLS cris-crossing with NON-BCS schools. I have the sense the BCS does their part and the non-BCS succumbs to theirs.

The Pac-10, therefore, stays the same.

The Big 10 does the same.

Big 12, probably the same. No comment on what could happen with Iowa and Iowa State.

ACC and SEC make trades (either South Carolina or Clemson, then Georgia and Georgia Tech), though Florida might still be split up. South Florida drops into one of those arrangements. There might even be three conferences coming out of that. Meanwhile, Boston College is forced to return to the Big East.

I can't begin to think how the MWC and WAC would settle accounts, nor how C-USA and MAC and Sun Belt split their differences. The MAC might be rather clear-cut.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:34 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Unless if gas/energy becomes perilously short in supply, I'd doubt we'd see much change in athletics, collegiate or professional. The NBA and NHL could cut back on travel by scheduling similiar to MLB (i.e., teams playing four games against each other would schedule the two in each location on consecutive nights).

Most colleges would need to find a way to operate four days a week instead of five-not turning the lights (and air conditioner or heat) on in entire buildings one day a week would make a far greater impact than Mississippi scheduling Memphis instead of New Mexico State in softball. If Friday becomes the new Saturday in this country, then perhpas schools could schedule more day games for outdoor sports.

Neutral site games may also be more common, especially when teams can safely play more than one game per day (baseball, softball, volleyball, etc.) Staying with an SEC example, Kentucky could host Vanderbilt and Tennessee in baseball one weekend, and have Vanderbilt and Tennessee play each other as part of the doubleheader on Saturday.

If conferences disappear, we'd probably just see regions implemented similar to how most state high school athletic associations are setup.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:17 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Pounder - interesting topic considering what Terry Holland said concering CUSA.

The only moves I can see would be the non-BCS conferences doing something to try and mitigate travel for leagues that are 'far flung'. If travel costs continue to go higher, I wonder if La Tech will bite the bullet and leave the WAC for the Sunbelt if nothing is available in CUSA.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:15 am 
Sophomore
Sophomore

wbyeager wrote:

Most colleges would need to find a way to operate four days a week instead of five-not turning the lights (and air conditioner or heat) on in entire buildings one day a week would make a far greater impact than Mississippi scheduling Memphis instead of New Mexico State in softball. If Friday becomes the new Saturday in this country, then perhpas schools could schedule more day games for outdoor sports.

Warning: my response is off the topic of sports.

Lights/AC/heat are on at universities regardless of whether classes are in session. Here at Auburn, 2/3 of the electric bill is during the 1/4 of the year in the summer - when few classes are taught. The AU president is pushing for more continual use of buildings - more classes in evenings, early mornings, weekends, and summer. Effective use of classrooms means the campus could teach the same number of students in 1/5 the amount of classrooms. The financial benefit by having more continual use of classrooms is HUGE. However, AU students dominantly want classes between 9am and 2pm on Mondays-Thursdays.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:05 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I'd say the professors are also in the same boat-they want as many days off to pursue research and consulting. I know when I was at Alabama, hardly any business classes are on Friday.