NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:16 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:50 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Hey, love this site, been lurking for years, thought I'd post. I am a huge college football fan and actually enjoy following which schools may be making the FBS upgrade. It's easy to forget all of them, but I didn't see in any thread one list of current schools making the FBS upgrade. So, I thought I'd give it a shot -- and please correct me/add to it, if I'm wrong:

Completing Process Now:
Western Kentucky

Definitely Upgrading in next 4 years:
South Alabama
Charlotte
Lamar
Texas San-Antonio
Texas State

Seriously thinking about it:
Sam Houston State (very close)
Portland State
Georgia Southern
Applachian State

Could if they wanted:
McNeese State
Delaware
Montana

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:33 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Glad you posted!

Not sure on the time frame for UTSA and Texas State.

Jacksonville State should probably be on your list and seriously thinking about it probably needs to be split into 2 groups. SHSU and Georgia Southern are almost definitely upgrading (again, not sure of the timeframe); App State is merely mulling it over and PSU is probably not even though a number of posters (myself included) think they really need to. I'd throw UMASS in the same category as APP State. Every few years they study FBS. That means they want to make the jump, but right now there isn't a conference in their region that would take them. If that changes they will probably jump.

It is a good list.

I would add "schools to keep an eye on:" I have a hunch Georgia State is looking at FBS, not FCS long term. What FCS school hires Bill Curry and plays in a 70K stadium? Old Dominion could treat FCS like a speed bump to FBS. James Madison is expanding their stadium to 25K. As much as I think every FCS school should do that, they don't. You only do that if you are wanting to jump to FBS. Tennessee State wouldn't suprise me. Great location, solid support at almost 14K as an FCS school. Frankly, Hofstra would not be a huge suprise if a NE conference emerges. Neither would New Hampshire in that scenario if they can get their stadium expanded. They draw 6.5K to an 8K stadium. Eventually, SUNY Stony Brook would probably like to be at the same level as SUNY Buffalo, but getting the funding for their 8K stadium took a heroic effort. Maybe within 10 years they can expand it to 20K.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:48 am 
Senior
Senior

The rumors on Lamar, Texas San-Antonio, Texas State, Sam Houston State, and
McNeese State is that the Southland Conference will go FBS. The Texas schools, Lamar, Texas San-Antonio, Texas State, Sam Houston State, can afford it however the Louisiana schools don't have the money.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:13 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

If Portland State wasn't seriously thinking about it, football would already be dead. Instead, they hired Jerry Glanville and TRIED to turn around the program. Still trying. At least that shows effort.

My gut says their attendance will backslide this year... save the fact of hosting Montana. Not good. Of course, that's "on paper" analysis, YMMV.

Oddly enough, the basketball team ended up stealing the headlines last year. Things may well continue to play out like that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:13 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Everyone on this board seems to be obessed with an FBS Charlotte. From everything I've heard, its just talk. The Charlotte business community is NOT behind it. If it happens in the next 20 years, I'd be stunned. Same goes for VCU.

Last edited by appmaninva on Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.