It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:43 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Attendance Analysis
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:25 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=336&f=2246&t=2759715

This was probably copied off an MWC board.

What they're showing is average attendance for conference schools (by conference), comparing schools in NFL markets to schools in non-NFL markets. Rather stark, no?

Now, the real trick is to get TV ratings into this breakout.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:54 pm 
Junior
Junior

Pounder wrote:
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=336&f=2246&t=2759715

This was probably copied off an MWC board.

What they're showing is average attendance for conference schools (by conference), comparing schools in NFL markets to schools in non-NFL markets. Rather stark, no?

Now, the real trick is to get TV ratings into this breakout.

Very interesting, although my guess is that the TV ratings would show a different story. For instance, Dallas and Houston are NFL markets but they are going to have heavy viewership of Texas and Texas A&M games even though those schools are physically located in those markets. Likewise, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Indianapolis, and Milwaukee/Green Bay (all of Wisconsin is a Packers market) all have strong bonds with various Big Ten flagship schools that aren't considered to be within their respective MSAs.

I'd personally like to see the spread between the NFL and college football ratings in the major markets (with the most likely correct assumption that the NFL has higher ratings everywhere, but the size of the gap between the college and pros would show the intensity for college football in a region). My feeling is that (a) New York City (Big East) and Boston (ACC) would have the largest gap between NFL and college football ratings, (b) Philly (Big Ten with Penn State) and DC (ACC with Maryland, UVA and VA Tech) will have the best college football ratings in the Northeast yet the gap between the NFL will still be very high compared to the rest of the country, (c) the Midwest (Big Ten) and Southwest (Big 12) would probably show some of the highest ratings for both the NFL and college football since both versions of the game are very strong there, (d) the Southeast (SEC and ACC) would show the smallest gap between the NFL and college ratings since it has a relatively low affection for the NFL, and (e) the West (Pac-10) is really up in the air - their following of the NFL is relatively weak, but the college football intensity isn't that fierce outside of the LA, though (at least compared to the Big Ten, SEC, and Texas/Oklahoma Big 12 schools). I'm not sure how good of metrics there will be for the non-BCS conferences since their games are shown much more sporadically.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:34 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I have to join a Denver Bronchos forum to read an attendance breakdown for FBS?

Come on now. I recognize the need to source your links, but this has NOTHING to do with the Bronchos.