NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:45 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:43 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Repost from AGS. Let me know what you think.

This article is interesting stuff, with some possible FCS implications:

http://www.mcall.com/sports/college/...tory?track=rss

Quote:
Moving to fill a void in the football alignment caused by Mansfield's decision last fall to drop the sport, and also to keep several conference sports as ''championship sports,'' the PSAC extended invitations Monday to Erie-area colleges Gannon and Mercyhurst for full membership, and to C.W. Post on Long Island for associate membership in football and field hockey.

If, as expected, the three schools accept the offer -- they have two weeks to make an official announcement -- it would be the PSAC's first expansion since it was formed in 1951. Also, C.W. Post would become the conference's first non-Pennsylvania member, and the three schools would be the first private schools to compete in what has been an affiliation of 14 state-owned colleges.

''It's a good move to take in some new schools, I will agree to that. But I don't really want to comment at this time on whether these are the three schools I would bring in,'' Kutztown University athletic director Greg Bamberger said.

''As far as geographically, they're the logical choices. But there are a lot of issues to deal with -- private schools versus public, union coaches versus non-union, competing against an out-of-state school, the level of funding. There are people who will have issues with those areas and with other things.''

Sixteen schools in the conference for football!

Do you think those bigger PSAC schools might start their push once again for FCS membership? IUP has been the biggest voice for moving up, but might some others think about joining them in D-I - meaning this move was just as much to keep the conference together?

Mulling this, I wonder if this could happen?

8 schools jump to D-I as a unit, form a new conference the "YankeePenn Conference"
Indiana (Pa)
California (Pa)
Bloomsburg
West Chester
Edinboro
Lock Haven
East Strousburg
Slippery Rock

8 schools remain in PSAC
Millersville
Kutztown
Cheyney
CW Post
Gannon
Mercyhurst
Shippensburg
Clarion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:06 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The only ones that really should move up are Indiana and West Chester as both are over 11,000 in enrollment. The third largest PSAC school, Kutztown, is close to 10,000 and probably should join them if they expect to grow beyond 10,000 and stay there.

If all three move up, it would be nice if all could join the America East:

West - UMBC, Albany, Binghamton, Kutztown, Indiana, West Chester (PA)
East - Stony Brook, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, Hartford, Boston University

This would give the league seven schools for football, not counting any possible football-only members.