Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:06 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: BCS Realignment What If
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:02 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

In all these dream scenarios, the NCAA is making a rule to how conferences are structured. But what if the government kills the BCS, the NCAA makes some rule, the BCS teams hate it... and leave the NCAA?

These schools could form their own governing body, negotiate their TV deals and set up their organization like a pro sports league.

So, here's the question. The major players of the BCS leave the NCAA an form their own governing body. Who goes? Who's left out? How do they align? How do they run post-season?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:11 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

This is a topic we've discussed before. The reason why it hasn't happened yet is the leverage held by the BCS schools for football (and basketball is looking the same way...you can probably name all the non-BCS Final 4 schools from the past 10 years).

Two paths:
1) The existing 6 BCS conferences leave as they are
2a) The top schools from BCS conferences do move, but don't bring everyone along (schools not making money for the league)
2b) Option 2a + some non-BCS schools are swapped in

Changes for the second option:
ACC: no candidates
Pac 10: no candidates
Big 12: Does Baylor make the cut or do you bring in BYU?
SEC: Vanderbilt makes the cut thus far but if you want to swipe a money maker from another conference, that's your slot.
Big Ten: Notre Dame might have to join if they want to be in the "BCS"
Big East: Just stay at 8 unless you think UCF, ECU, Memphis, Vanderbilt cut it for ya

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:39 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

I doubt it would ever happen, as the NCAA sponsors more sports than just football... it programs left the NCAA it would effect basketball, baseball, hockey, track, and so on...

However, pretending that it just effected football, I'd imagine that for the most part, the BCS conferences would leave and pretty much stay intact. A few exceptions would probably be teams like Northwestern, Baylor, Vanderbilt, and a few other smaller private schools. Notre Dame would probably officially join the Big 10 in the new BCS league.

Personally, I'd like this move. As their own league, OOC schedules would probably have to consist mostly of other BCS schools... you probably wouldn't see some of the cupcake OOC schedules that you see now. The first couple weeks of football would be extremely exciting to watch as it would be loaded with great matchups.

This could also trigger an exodus in the other divisions.

Scenario A - NCAA loosens the requirements for FBS football and several FCS programs move up to fill the void left by former BCS programs. In turn, a number of D2 programs move into FCS and some D3 programs fill in the gaps in D2. This would essentially turn D3 into the D4 that got shot down.

Scenario B - FBS and FCS merge, we get our playoff, but minus the storied programs.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:09 pm 
Junior
Junior

cthoenen1 wrote:
Scenario B - FBS and FCS merge, we get our playoff, but minus the storied programs.

I don't know about that. Montana, Delaware, Villanova, Georgia Southern, Holy Cross and the Ivy League are pretty darn storied, as far as I can tell.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:14 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

cthoenen1 wrote:

Oh yes, the proverbial bone the NCAA threw the little guys: No longer I-A and I-AA it's the easy to remember FBS and FCS.

At the time that the non I-A schools were seeking change, one of the options was Scenario B: merge I-A and I-AA.

I was for this if indeed there was a playoff system. It makes no sense that the Division 1 NCAA Football champion ends up being UMass, Georgia Southern, App St when Ohio St. is playing Florida in a bowl game for #1.

Us fans of FCS schools have our pride in our brand of football. Some will go on about how good their program is compared to FBS football. Oh yeah, prove it. We all should prove it by playing on the same level. It's just a matter of finding a way to get the schools opportunities to make the playoffs when they are successful...like basketball has to make sure the mid-majors get in.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:41 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

I would think that BYUs logical desitination is the PAC10 and I'm not sure why they aren't looking to expand. If the Pac10 went to 12 teams that certainly would be inline with their geographical coverage. I'm assuming Utah is the other logical school. Other than that, I don't see any other major moves, including the Big 10 going to 12 or ND doing anything.