NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:48 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:34 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Some of those moves already happened but who care you should put it anyway since I'd be the only one that knows.

You Have Lincoln(MO) on your MIAA list.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:59 am 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Some of those moves already happened but who care you should put it anyway since I'd be the only one that knows.

You Have Lincoln(MO) on your MIAA list.

According to the article I have below, Lincoln doesn't move until 2010, and this is the only one I could find concerning the move. Southwest Baptist doesn't have football, so while Rockhurst would make 13 schools, they would still be at 11 for football, which makes a move to either 14 or 16 likely.
Code:
http://www.stjoenews.net/news/2009/feb/02/lincoln-returns-miaa/

I guess I could put a section for '08-09 moves on there too, then separate those into 08-09, 09-10, 10-11 moves, etc. However, I'm not going to be able to do much with that until after the holiday, since I'll be camping. If you think that's a good idea (and if anyone else has some feedback on how to organize the list), let me know and I'll start working on it sometime next week.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:58 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The addition of Lincoln was approved in the last few months, and doesn't go into effect until 2010, (and they have to scramble between now and then to rearrange schedules). So Lincoln makes 12.

Rockhurst would make 13. Rockhurst is squarely in the MIAA footprint. So the approval vote on Rockhurst, my not be on Rockhurst, per se, but rather supporting an eventual expansioin to 14 or 16 and splitting into divisions.

If Rockhurst is approved, look for a dialogue to begin with Drury (in SW Missouri), Newman (the only D-II Kansas school NOT already in the MIAA), and [WHO might make 16 ??? William Jewell ?-planning an upgrade from NAIA and currently applying to the GLVC? or another Nebraska school like Wayne State (NSIC), Chadron State (RMAC), or Kearney (RMAC) ?]

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:36 am 
Senior
Senior

tute79 wrote:
The addition of Lincoln was approved in the last few months, and doesn't go into effect until 2010, (and they have to scramble between now and then to rearrange schedules). So Lincoln makes 12.

Rockhurst would make 13. Rockhurst is squarely in the MIAA footprint. So the approval vote on Rockhurst, my not be on Rockhurst, per se, but rather supporting an eventual expansioin to 14 or 16 and splitting into divisions.

If Rockhurst is approved, look for a dialogue to begin with Drury (in SW Missouri), Newman (the only D-II Kansas school NOT already in the MIAA), and [WHO might make 16 ??? William Jewell ?-planning an upgrade from NAIA and currently applying to the GLVC? or another Nebraska school like Wayne State (NSIC), Chadron State (RMAC), or Kearney (RMAC) ?]

Well, if Rockhurst does get in, the first priority for the MAIAA is to find one football school, that way they've got 12 football schools. Once this happens, instead of splitting into divisions, they'll just schedule exclusively inside the conference, so every team will play each other once without any OOC games, which the conference has enough power schools in fb to get away with this and not have any at-large berths affected. This means that either they stay at 14 and split into divisions for other sports, or they add two non-fb schools to go to 16 and two divisions.

Other than William Jewell (a conference like the MAIAA would rather take established programs over recent moveups, IE you wouldn't see the Big 10 take Illinois State, or you wouldn't see the Pac 10 take Montana if either school announced they would jump to I-A), the only school that you mentioned that wouldn't work is Chadron State. While UN-Kearney is a bit west of the relative footprint, they are on the southern side of the state and relatively close to Fort Hays State in Kansas. Chadron State is clear on the other side of Nebraska, closer to Northern Sun territory, but probably a bit too far West to be seriously considered. I'd think that they would stay in the RMAC, but most of the other schools mentioned would make good sense.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:13 am 
All-Star
All-Star

MIAA's vote on Rockhurst is scheduled for this Friday, June 12th.

This sound like it is not a slam dunk.

I think Rockhurst is a fine candidate, but some who have spoken out want to understand what is the vision with regard to the ultimate conference size (14 ? 16 ?), divisions, and requirement for football.

Rockhurst does not have a football team, and Southwest Baptist was allowed to take their football team independent. So which ever way this vote goes, the MIAA is stuck on 11 football members (that includes Lincoln, who joins in 2010).

As Tarkio indicated, it would make a lot of sense to add Rockhurst in conjunction with a 14th school that has football.
Then you have 14, 12 fb schools, split into divsions, and Southwest Baptist can remain independent in football which is their preference. If they want to move their football back (maybe divisions allows more OOC games against whomever Baptist is interested in scheduling), then factor that into the numbers, relating to which schools to target for #15 / 16.

I expect the vote to either admit Rockhurst and start lining up a FB school for #14 immediately, OR
tabling the vote, and sending Rockhurst a positive signal that they will be likely admitted when they can be paired with applicant #14. (similar to the WCHA's situation with Bimidji State).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:09 am 
All-Star
All-Star

FresnoStAlum,here is update on Frostburg State status.

Frostburg announced yesterday that they were leaving AMCC for the Capital Athletic Conference,effective in 2010-2011.
Link at http://www.laxpower.com/laxnews/news.php?story=15636

Another article regarding the Frostburg move to CAC with additional info regarding renewed NCAA interest in either creating a D-3 subdivision or a D-4.Link at http://yorkdispatch.inyork.com/yd/sport ... source=uss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:00 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article reporting that the NSIC Presidents have tabled league expansion until their September meeting.Link at
http://www.sctimes.com/article/20090610 ... +expansion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:44 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Wouldn't it be premature to vote on any expansion, until after July 10th ?

Step 1) Minot State and Sioux Falls have to be approved to jump to Div II by the NCAA on July 10.
Step 2) Minot State and Sioux Falls formerly apply to join the NSIC.
Step 3) Obligatory campus visit.
Step 4) NSIC (current 14) member schools vote on expanding SPECIFICALLY with Minot State and Sioux Falls....

Perhaps what was under consideration was whether or not to even entertain an expansion to 16, regardless of what 2 teams would be added.

Does anyone know why the NCAA limits the number of "move-ups" to 10 per year ? It seems rather arbitrary....
Is there any limit on the number of schools per year that can enter D-II or D-III from outside of the NCAA
(i.e. NAIA schools -> NCAA D-III or NAIA -> D-II) ? I odn't know that I've heard discussion of any limit on that....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Freaked I also found out that PSU-Abington & Morrisville St. will join the NEAC. D'Youville is moving to the AMCC.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:50 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Minot St. & Sioux Falls must have some positive info from the NSIC or else why move up, they have no other conference that will take them.

The rule of 10 move ups a year for D-II was on the NCAA website. It said it would allow more than 10 if a conference of say 12 wanted to move up together.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:25 am 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Freaked I also found out that PSU-Abington & Morrisville St. will join the NEAC. D'Youville is moving to the AMCC.

Which conference is PSU-Abington in? I don't know if they're in the NAIA or NSCAA in the Penn State Conference, and unfortunately I have too many irons in the fire to look them up at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:13 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I am showing that PSU-Abington participated in the PSUAC for 2008-2009.

Also,article out of Kansas reporting that MIAA meetings start today with expansion reportedly on their agenda.Link at http://www.morningsun.net/sports/x70233 ... -expansion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:21 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The writer doesn't know anything about Newman, they are in the Heartland and Rockhurst is in the GLVC. Thus not the same conference.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:47 am 
All-Star
All-Star

FresnoStAlum,looks like writer,"misspoke",he says Rockhurst and Newman were both in D-2,GLVC.However,Newman is CURRENTLY in the Heartland.Otherwise good piece with comments from several officials to include the Newman University AD.

Also,blog article by Wichita sports writer who apparently is "itching" to write a"big" story about Newman University and the MIAA sometime next week after the MIAA meetings end.
Interesting to see what he ends up writing about.
Link at http://blogs.kansas.com/statecolleges/2 ... wman-story

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:54 am 
All-Star
All-Star

As mentioned in the linked article in the above post, Wichita Eagle sports writer has interesting MIAA/Newman/Rockhurst expansion article in today's paper.Reportedly,the MIAA AD's voted last Friday regarding league expansion.There vote will act as their recommendation to the league presidents who are apparently scheduled to vote on expansion and specifically Rockhurst membership ,on 7-1-09.Article has comments from various officials from the MIAA ,Newman(who is currently in the Heartland) and Rockhurst(currently in the GLVC).Link at http://www.kansas.com/sports/colleges/story/852065.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next