NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:56 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: WKU to the MAC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:00 pm 
The MAC should get Western Kentucky University. They have one of the best basketball traditions in the country and they just won the National Championship in 1AA. The would be the perfect fit in the MAC. 2 seasons ago in BASKETBALL they went to RUPP arena in Lexington and beat UK.....NOT BAD!! GET TEH TOPPERS!!! BIG SCHOOL......OVER 18,000 Students....THEY ARE AN UP AND COMING SCHOOL!!

This school is going to make the jump to 1A and I hope the MAC takes them from the Sun Belt. They have won the won the award for the best sports in the Sun Belt 3 straight season......GET THEM NOW MAC!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:34 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
The MAC should get Western Kentucky University. They have one of the best basketball traditions in the country and they just won the National Championship in 1AA. The would be the perfect fit in the MAC. 2 seasons ago in BASKETBALL they went to RUPP arena in Lexington and beat UK.....NOT BAD!! GET TEH TOPPERS!!! BIG SCHOOL......OVER 18,000 Students....THEY ARE AN UP AND COMING SCHOOL!!

This school is going to make the jump to 1A and I hope the MAC takes them from the Sun Belt. They have won the won the award for the best sports in the Sun Belt 3 straight season......GET THEM NOW MAC!!

bukeeyes if Western kentucky did go to 1-A it would be in the Sunbelt conference because thats were there Basketball and all other sports is in.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:19 pm 
WKU is not happy in the Sun belt and is looking to get out. They want the MAC or CUSA.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:02 pm 
WKU is not happy in the Sun belt and is looking to get out. They want the MAC or CUSA.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:46 pm 
WKU should be in the Missouri Valley Conference with most of the other members of the Gateway Football Conference. For instance, if a school like Drake or Evansville were to leave, I think WKU would be a logical replacement. Additionally, WKU can forget about C-USA or the MAC without having I-A football. What I don't understand is why WKU elected to remain in the Sun Belt Conference when provided with an implied invitation to re-join the Ohio Valley Conference (within the last 3-4 years). While it is true that when WKU initially left the OVC (early 80s), the Sun Belt was a geographically defined, nationally competitive basketball conference (UAB, UNCC, VCU, etal), it is no longer geographically defined or nationally competitive in basketball. For a relatively similar level of basketball competition, I would much rather not have to travel outside of the "Ohio Valley" area to such far-flung locations as Miami, Las Cruces, Denver, and soon enough, Moscow (Moscow, Idaho that is). It doesn't make to much sense to me for WKU to remain in the SBC unless it is seriously pursuing "fast-track" membership in Sun Belt football at the I-A level...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:09 pm 
WKU is going to make the move to 1A. I was told this by the athletic director. That is the reason they are in the Sun belt because when they get football they will already be in a conference. People around WKU do not like the Sun belt and want to improve.

When WKU gets football they will be a team that some conferences want. The MAC and CUSA are the 2 that come to mind (only when U of L leaves CUSA will WKU even be concidered). The AD hinted to me the MAC was a possible conference for WKU. Another possibility is staying in the Sun Belt........rumors are S. Miss and UAB are talking about going to the Sun belt!!

WKU will not leave the Sun BElt for a conference without 1A football! The MVC has wanted WKU for a while now but WKU does not want to make a lateral move. The MVC was ranked 1 spot higher than the Sun Belt in Basketball last season in the RPI.......not a big difference!

I am an Ohio State fan but I have to listen to my wife about WKU all day long. At least she likes sports!! I tell her WKU is my favorite JV team ;D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:45 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
WKU is going to make the move to 1A. I was told this by the athletic director. That is the reason they are in the Sun belt because when they get football they will already be in a conference. People around WKU do not like the Sun belt and want to improve.

When WKU gets football they will be a team that some conferences want. The MAC and CUSA are the 2 that come to mind (only when U of L leaves CUSA will WKU even be concidered). The AD hinted to me the MAC was a possible conference for WKU. Another possibility is staying in the Sun Belt........rumors are S. Miss and UAB are talking about going to the Sun belt!!

WKU will not leave the Sun BElt for a conference without 1A football! The MVC has wanted WKU for a while now but WKU does not want to make a lateral move. The MVC was ranked 1 spot higher than the Sun Belt in Basketball last season in the RPI.......not a big difference!

I am an Ohio State fan but I have to listen to my wife about WKU all day long. At least she likes sports!! I tell her WKU is my favorite JV team ;D

so your saying they should go to the MAC and not the sunbelt for their first year. Even with the bad schools in the MAC they would still beat WKU.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:39 am 
Doesn't WKU have attendance problems (and possibly stadium problems) that would make qualifying for I-A difficult? I still think WKU would be better off in MVC because of vast expanse of current/future Sun Belt configuration.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:30 am 
Last wk WKU had 18,000+ people at the game (standing room only) and another 3,000 outside the stadium. WKU would have to get the average up because they are going to average about 13,000+ this season but when you play Union D2 and West Virginia Tech NAIA school it's hard to pull. EKU was the first 1AA team they played this year and they sold out. The other games both brought in over 10,000 people.....Attendance would be NO PROBLEM for WKU. They should sell out the rest of the season. WKU has the money to make the move and they are currently building a new weight room that will be one of the top in the country (should be finished by next season). They will have to add seating at the stadium!

The MVC was wanted WKU for a while now but WKU is moving up in football and would then need a football conference. The Sun Belt isn't far behind the MVC in hoops anyway (only 1 spot in the RPI). If the NCAA upgraded everyone in 1AA to 1A then yes the MVC would be nice because they are the gateway football teams but unless that happens then the MVC can keep trying with no success.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:31 am 
All-Star
All-Star

A) This thread belongs on another board.

B) Despite my previous support for such a move, I have just checked and found that WKU's avg. attendance for the past three years has been 7,300 in 2002, 9,100 in 01 and 8,800 in 2000. Even I would have to question whether or not they could draw an additional 8,000 people with a MAC schedule.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:16 am 
Freshman
Freshman

8-)When this subject was presented on the MAC forum awhile back, most MACers liked the idea. The MAC would love WKU in basketball.

Need to see where all the dominos fall after the Big East makes its decisions final (now delayed until November) and the shake out of D1-A becomes clear in a year or two. Nice geographic fit and the Bowling Green vs. WKU @ Bowling Green, KY match ups are a natural! :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:22 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
A) This thread belongs on another board.

B) Despite my previous support for such a move, I have just checked and found that WKU's avg. attendance for the past three years has been 7,300 in 2002, 9,100 in 01 and 8,800 in 2000. Even I would have to question whether or not they could draw an additional 8,000 people with a MAC schedule.

so do they have enough to move to division 1-A? yes this does belong on another board but only kingcal can move it gunner.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:59 am 

Quote:
I hear about this rumor again. I hope it isn't true.

It would be nice for WKU to move out of the Gateway so that NDSU and SDSU might have a shot at getting in.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:29 pm 

Link to Post - Back to Top  IP: 12.227.156.129

bisonfan01234
Re: WKU to the MAC
« Reply #15 on 2/28/2005 at 8:22am »
[Quote] [Modify] [Delete]

Quote:
You mean they're not going to the Big Sky?

The Big Sky isn't interested right now.