NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:29 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 443 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 7:22 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

What are the requirements by the NCAA to stay Division 1A?

What teams are in danger?

What are the stats?

This is very important in regards to everyone's realignment!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 10:31 pm 
Senior
Senior

Most of this is in NCAA bylaw 20.9.6

1. Must give out 90(?)% of max allowed scholarships
Don't know the affect.

2. 16 NCAA sports, 8 of them female-only.
Don't know the affect.

3. 5 home games.
In 2002: Troy St., San Jose St. & LA Tech failed this one. LA Tech had 2 "neutral" games in their home state. Move those on campus and they pass.

4. Average 15,000 actual attendance over their home games.
In 2002, Wyoming, Houston, Troy St., San Jose St., 5 of the 14 MAC, and 4 of the 7 Sun Belt fail.

BUT, there is a caveat for #4 that a school doesn't have to pass the attendance item as long as over half of the conference members pass. This means only Troy St. & the SB schools are in danger on that one.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 11:18 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

how many years do they have to achieve this?

and isnt the MAC schools struggling in the attendance dept.?

Last edited by iam4ala on Mon May 26, 2003 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 3:14 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Quote:
Most of this is in NCAA bylaw 20.9.6

In 2002, Wyoming, Houston, Troy St., San Jose St., 5 of the 14 MAC, and 4 of the 7 Sun Belt fail.

BUT, there is a caveat for #4 that a school doesn't have to pass the attendance item as long as over half of the conference members pass. This means only Troy St. & the SB schools are in danger on that one.

This bylaw that allows the entire conference to make it as long as over half of the members pass, changes in August of 2004 when all of the new standards go into affect. Each schools stands alone as far as the attendance goes.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 4:58 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:

This bylaw that allows the entire conference to make it as long as over half of the members pass, changes in August of 2004 when all of the new standards go into affect. Each schools stands alone as far as the attendance goes.

I FINALLY found a page detailing the complete admendments. surprised they didn't note a "repealed" date in their Bylaw search area.

I'm actually surprised they took that item out given how the NCAA loves loopholes for their restrictions. I guess since no one in the "Big Boys" conferences is affected, they aren't that concerned on the attendance issue.

http://www.ncaa.org/databases/legislation/2001/2001-123.htm

Update making service academies exempt from the financial aid requirement:
http://www.ncaa.org/databases/legislation/2001/2001-123-1.htm

Last edited by earthx on Tue May 27, 2003 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 7:05 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

GOOD WORK AS ALWAYS EARTHY!

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 7:37 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Great work indeed.

so KingCal (or anyone else) who can we rule out in staying in the Division 1?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 10:15 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

EarthX,

Thank you for posting that link. Our board administrator at TribalGrounds.com, the Arkansas State Indians message board, was the one that told me after I had read that on this board. I went back excited thinking as a confence we could work together to get over half of us to make it then we all would. He kind of shot me down :-[, but I'm glad I got to read the bylaw. Anyway thanks again for the link

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 10:22 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Quote:
What teams are in danger?

Louisiana-Monroe in our conference, Sun Belt, may have a hard time to make it. They averaged only 8K attendance this past year and I've heard their administration is not behind the 1A fight.

I think everyone else will make it in the SBC, I know, I know, pretty optimistic of me. Everyone in our conference needs to work on their attendance. North Texas, NM state, Middle Tenn, and Utah state are for sures. My school, Ark State, and ULL, Troy State, and Idaho need to bump up attendance a couple thousand each. (Actually we need to bump up a lot to be successful, but just a couple thousand to pass)

Last edited by kidd on Tue May 27, 2003 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 11:47 pm 
Junior
Junior

Quote:
...and isnt the MAC schools struggling in the attendance dept.?

5 teams in the MAC are in trouble if a hard enforcement of the attendence rule is enforced - but the MAC "as a conference" is in no danger. 9 teams easily will survive the new cap rule. A few of the teams that we are "counting out" have at least as much support as many of the SunBelt teams that the SunBelt is "counting on".

The teams in trouble: Akron, EastMich, KentSt, Buffalo and BallSt. All of these teams currently fall below the 15,000 mark. The rest of the MAC is a few thousand over it - with a few well into the 20,000's. BallSt (the team with the best chance to move up to the safe list from the unsafe list) used to do much better at the gate when they had better teams, but has fallen off significantly as of late.

The surprising thing is that the MAC has a few teams well above the 15,000 mark that haven't had a good season in years (CentMich, OhioU). The fact that these teams still easily meet that minimum tells you that these teams - as well as the conference, have sufficient support.

Marshall - 27,789
Toledo - 23,965
NoIll - 20,953
WestMich - 18,878
Miami(OH) - 18,285
OhioU - 18,076
BGSU - 17,819
CentMich - 17,311
UCF - 17,268
========================================
BallSt - 12,849
Akron - 11,600
Buffalo - 11,244
EastMich - 10,777
KentSt - 10,086

========================================

As far as looking at current schedules to decide who will be in trouble with the 5 home game rule: it makes no sense to judge current schedules since 5 I-A home games wasn't a requirement when those schedules were made. Those schedules were made with maximizing gate revenue as a priority - not maintaining 5 I-A home games. If they are required to have 5 I-A home games, those teams that currently don't will make adjustments to meet that rule.

Last edited by nert on Wed May 28, 2003 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 10:18 am 
Sophomore
Sophomore

What about UConn? If ACC expansion goes through as planned, isn't it highly conceivable that UConn will not be able to establish itself on the I-A level, at least as far as attendance requirements are concerned? UConn's upgrade to I-A and BIG EAST membership was predicated on a status quo where BIG EAST membership ensured BCS-level status, however, such status could become a moot point by the time the new attendance requirements for I-A become effective. If Villanova ever had any regrets about not taking the BIG EAST's offer and returning to I-A, I am sure they have all disappeared by now...

Last edited by yungwun on Wed May 28, 2003 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:27 am 
Senior
Senior

I have a question about the 5 home game requiement. UGA and UFL provide the entertainment for the 'thingytail party' in Jacksonville every year. Also, the 'Iron bowl' (UAL-Auburn) is often played in Birmingham. Will these traditional games have to move their sites in order to please the NCAA? ??? If they count, would WY's 'home' game against TN in Nashvile count for WY?

The same question counts for attendance. WY's 'home' game against TN had 65,000 in attendance. The rest of the season WY averaged less than 15k. If these games count, then no school will fail. If they don't, then the AL or AR legislature (probably among others) might want to say something about the exemptions to the rule.

FBfan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:32 pm 
Senior
Senior

FBfan

None of the SEC schools with those neutral games will ever have a problem making the 5-home-game requirement.

The Iron Bowl isn't played in Birmingham anymore--the two schools alternate campuses.

Aside from that, most SEC schools (including the four involved in the Iron Bowl and thingytail Party) schedule seven home games per year (12-game season now). The only way one of the four would fail here is to have seven road games--that won't happen anytime soon with any SEC team.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:35 pm 
Senior
Senior

Is there a time frame for this 15K attendance thing? What if, after 2005's rules take in effect, a school misses the attendance? Are they out completely right then or are they on probation where they just have to make it up the next year?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:56 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Regarding the 5 home game rule - Is there still aome discussion among the NCAA powers that be to adopt a 12 game regular season? Further, shouldn't it be the opposite, where the mandate is on a maximum number of home games, so that no one can pile on with 7 home games and 4 away games? This would almost force the bigger schools to take the occasional trip to a smaller school, as well. And those games would help the smaller school increase their attendance in legitimate fashion.

Think about it. Maximum 6 home games for an 11 game schedule, 7 for a 12 game schedule. Eventually the likes of Michigan, Auburn, etc will accept more home and home offers with the MTSU's of the world thinking that if they can't pad their record at home, they'll try to do it on the road. Btter to play tougher out of conference opponents at home, eh?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 443 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next