NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:24 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1474 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 99  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:34 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

A fresh thread for the topic of "General WAC Conference Realignment and Expansion".

To view the most recent thread:
http://collegesportsinfo/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1449

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:41 pm 
Junior
Junior

Here is what I think happens to the WAC:

MWC will invite Boise State and TCU.
CUSA will invite LaTech.
WAC will invite Idaho and North Texas.

The WAC is last, IMO, in the pecking order. MWC moves first, then CUSA, and WAC picks up the pieces. I really think that by allowing LaTech to go, the WAC would become more regional and be a nice conference in the West. I see a problem with having an Eastern division of the Western Athletic conference, as has been suggested in other posts.

Question for everyone: What do you think of Idaho's chances?

I think we will make the attendance requirement. When the last requirement was needed, we pulled some strings (played in Martin Stadium, WSU counted as home game) and averaged 25,000 in 1999. We are a strong regional member institution, strong academics and good overall athletic programs. Our football hasn't been the greatest, but we will have a new coach (Cable should be gone after this season: 9-34 in 4 years), a new athletic director and a new president. Our men's and women's basketball are both improving. Volleyball is competitive. Our track and field programs (indoor and outdoor) have arguably had the most success in 1-A of any of the sports.

If we were able to get into the WAC, which makes a lot better sense than the Sun Belt, we could look to raise funds to either expand the Kibbie Dome to seat 24,500 or build a new 30,000 outdoor stadium. I'd love to see an outdoor stadium here. To me, football was meant to be played outside.

I think that Idaho has a good shot (albeit after MWC and CUSA make their moves) to be in the WAC. A strong, regional conference will help bolster our attendance and competitive ability.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:22 pm 
Senior
Senior

Okay, now that I've set out my opinion on what the MWC/TCU might do in the MWC thread, time to see my thoughts on the ripple to the WAC. I see the possibilities of the WAC losing 0,1, or 3 to the MWC.

If MWC takes none, the only real question is what to do with La. Tech. Which in turn (again) depends on TCU. If TCU goes to the MWC, La. Tech. joins the C-USA...no problem. The question then becomes to take Idaho or not for the 4/4 home away thing. If TCU stays C-USA, then an invite goes to N. Texas, as a bridge to La. Tech.

If MWC takes 1 (Boise me thinks) with no TCU, an invite goes to N. Texas and maybe Idaho (4/4 again). With TCU, La. Tech is gone and Idaho gets the invite for eight.

If MWC takes 3 along w/ TCU, now the fun starts. It doesn't really matter which three go but I think BSU, FSU, Hawai'i. Now you're down to five (La. Tech is gone) and scrambling. Idaho definitly gets an invite. Then what?

Try to get the Montanas to move up?
Nevada
San Jose State
Idaho
Utah State
New Mexico State
UTEP
Montana
Montana State.

Merge with SunBelt?
Idaho
San Jose State
Nevada
Utah State
New Mexico State
UTEP

North Texas
Louisiana-Monroe
Louisiana-Lafeyette
Arkansas State
Middle Tennessee State
Troy State

As for my two cents. I don't see TCU and MWC agreeing on an offer. TCU stays C-USA. Now for the shocker. I don't think MWC will take Boise w/o TCU! :o I really thought something would happen until I sat down to think about it. The only movement I see is North Texas accepting an offer from the WAC to create a pretty fine conference :)...Thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:01 pm 
Junior
Junior

Quote:
Okay, now that I've set out my opinion on what the MWC/TCU might do in the MWC thread, time to see my thoughts on the ripple to the WAC. I see the possibilities of the WAC losing 0,1, or 3 to the MWC.

If MWC takes none, the only real question is what to do with La. Tech. Which in turn (again) depends on TCU. If TCU goes to the MWC, La. Tech. joins the C-USA...no problem. The question then becomes to take Idaho or not for the 4/4 home away thing. If TCU stays C-USA, then an invite goes to N. Texas, as a bridge to La. Tech.

If MWC takes 1 (Boise me thinks) with no TCU, an invite goes to N. Texas and maybe Idaho (4/4 again). With TCU, La. Tech is gone and Idaho gets the invite for eight.

If MWC takes 3 along w/ TCU, now the fun starts. It doesn't really matter which three go but I think BSU, FSU, Hawai'i. Now you're down to five (La. Tech is gone) and scrambling. Idaho definitly gets an invite. Then what?

Try to get the Montanas to move up?
Nevada
San Jose State
Idaho
Utah State
New Mexico State
UTEP
Montana
Montana State.

Merge with SunBelt?
Idaho
San Jose State
Nevada
Utah State
New Mexico State
UTEP

North Texas
Louisiana-Monroe
Louisiana-Lafeyette
Arkansas State
Middle Tennessee State
Troy State

As for my two cents. I don't see TCU and MWC agreeing on an offer. TCU stays C-USA. Now for the shocker. I don't think MWC will take Boise w/o TCU! :o I really thought something would happen until I sat down to think about it. The only movement I see is North Texas accepting an offer from the WAC to create a pretty fine conference :)...Thoughts?

I think that the MWC will expand, regardless of what TCU decides. TCU is on top of their list mainly because of current football success, but more importantly because of the Dallas-FortWorth TV market. You could argue that Boise has had more success than TCU over the last few years (albeit in the WAC). The Boise tv market (something like 124th nationally) simply won't compete with DFW.

I do think that TCU will stay in CUSA, but it will all hinge on the BCS negotiations. If they are assured that the MWC (with additions of 2 or 4) would get access to the BCS, then they would accept. But if it goes the other way and there are no assurances of BCS access, TCU will stay in CUSA for lower travel and I thought they have 12 now and are looking for a championship game as well (if anyone can let me know on that).

The odd school to me is LaTech. I wish they would bite the bullet and switch spots with Idaho. Idaho should be in the WAC and LaTech should be in the SunBelt. This is only arguing regionality. LaTech considers the SunBelt a lower conference, so they wouldn't go there unless they have to. This means that North Texas will get the invite from the WAC regardless of the TCU situation. I agree with you there. This will make LaTech happy and Idaho gets the shaft once again from the WAC (happened before when they invited LaTech & BSU).

I think that MWC would look at adding Boise State. They are a good regional fit and would help them in football (4/4 scheduling). If that happens, maybe Idaho would be their replacement? I think the negative thing is I'm sure that Boise State will be lobbying AGAINST inviting Idaho because they hate us, plain and simple. But if Boise State leaves, then I think the other WAC members wouldn't be as negative towards Idaho.

I've said it on other posts, but I don't forsee any western schools moving up to 1-A. These schools would have the potential: Montana, Montana State, E. Washington, Portland State, Weber State. However, most of these schools are state schools. States have really bad budgets right now and I can't see them approving anything in the way of moving to 1-A. The only school I could see having any success moving to 1-A would be Montana. However, they are a perennial contender for the 1-AA championship and with the recent 1-A moves (Idaho, Marshall, UConn) that won't end anytime soon. Montana is so ambitious that they wouldn't move up unless they were guaranteed membership in a BCS conference. Don't see that happening with the WAC, so they won't move.

Overall, I hope that LaTech gets into CUSA and Idaho gets into the WAC. They are two schools that are the most confusing to me in regards to their regional affiliations.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:28 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

WAC will lose Boise State, Hawaii, and Fresno State to MWC, and La Tech to C-USA.

WAC adds Idaho and North Texas. Montana and Texas State moves up to D-1.

Makes the WAC
Idaho
Montana
Nevada
New Mexico State
North Texas
San Jose State
Texas State
UTEP
Utah State

Last edited by sportskc on Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:53 pm 
give it either name:

Utah
Utah St.
Montana
Montana St.
Colorado
Colorado St
Wyoming
New Mexico
New Mexico St.
Boise St
Idaho
Arizona
Arizona St.
UNLV
Nevada

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:54 pm 
Why don't they join the MAC?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:58 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Why doesn't who join the MAC?

What financial incentives are there for the Arizona schools, given that the Pac-10 will rake in several million per year from bowl games and TV contracts? (I hope you appreciate that I don't tease everyone like this.

KC, I maintain that it does no good for the MWC to take four. Taking one may not generate any revenue. The oddball part of this, though, is that the Dallas TV market is larger than the other four schools COMBINED. The debate at the MWC end is whether TCU penetrates enough of that market (the MWC possibly thinks so). The debate at the TCU end centers around what will happen to MWC football, C-USA football, the C-USA TV contract (THAT is going to take a real hit), and what the TCU fan base really wants. That's anything but academic right now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:05 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
give it either name:

Utah
Utah St.
Montana
Montana St.
Colorado
Colorado St
Wyoming
New Mexico
New Mexico St.
Boise St
Idaho
Arizona
Arizona St.
UNLV
Nevada

Give me a break! ??? ??? ??? ???

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:53 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

I'm with you Gumby ???

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:33 pm 

How many times do i have to say this....

WAC

Hawaii
Fresno St.
San Jose St.
San Diego St.
Nevada
UNLV
Boise St.
Idaho
Utah St.

MWC

Utah
BYU
Colorado St.
Air Force
Wyoming
New Mexico
New Mexico St.
UTEP

Two Regional Conferences with great Rivalries
and set up a bowl game between the two conferences...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:13 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Makes sense to me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:15 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:

How many times do i have to say this....

WAC

Hawaii
Fresno St.
San Jose St.
San Diego St.
Nevada
UNLV
Boise St.
Idaho
Utah St.

MWC

Utah
BYU
Colorado St.
Air Force
Wyoming
New Mexico
New Mexico St.
UTEP

Two Regional Conferences with great Rivalries
and set up a bowl game between the two conferences...

Why the hell would UNLV and San Diego St. take a step down from a potential BCS conference?... Why the hell would the MWC trade the above for NMS and UTEP? ??? ??? ???

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:05 am 

Well...I think the BCS Guys, with all the talk of it being unfair to the non BCS conferences, will revise the BCS and give all conferences a better chance to make it to a BCS Game, plus it's much more regional and will save some money....that's why they would switch it up, cause it wouldn't matter what conference you're in...these revised conferences could both be BCS conferences... :P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:34 pm 
Junior
Junior

I've said it before, but I think the MWC will take Boise State and TCU. If TCU declines, they'll take either Fresno State or Nevada-Reno. It should be a given that no teams will leave the MWC. There is no other conference in the region that is better. The WAC is a step down, CUSA is level but basketball isn't as good anymore, and SunBelt is a bottom-feeder conference. I'd like to see some cooperation between these 4 conferences, MWC, WAC, SunBelt and CUSA. I think that you will see that. I'd rather not see a hostile takeover like what happened with ACC/Big East. Basically, the ACC stole those schools and then the Big East reacted by stealing CUSA schools. There were several disgruntled schools (Rice, SMU, and Tulsa) from the WAC that left to CUSA and Marshall and UCF looking to move up from the MAC. The WAC also got a few disgruntled schools (Utah State and NMState) from the SunBelt. Oh, BTW, they forgot one other school--IDAHO. Memo to the WAC Commish: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE Take us, we'll do ANYTHING... ;)

So now we have a tenative situation with everyone looking to the MWC to make their move. The WAC is in last place. Basically, they get the leftovers. What I would love to see is Idaho going to the WAC and LaTech going to CUSA. MWC will add Boise State and TCU. The SunBelt can recover by inviting the new florida schools and maybe an upgrade in football by W. Kentucky.

Overall, I think these next moves won't be as sudden and quick as they have been. The MWC holds the cards and everyone else will react after they are done. I think they will take 1 or 2 max with TCU, Boise State, Fresno State and Nevada-Reno at the top of their list. If CUSA loses TCU (fairly unlikely), they will take LaTech. I wish LaTech could just swallow it's pride and go to the SunBelt and switch places with Idaho. But I shouldn't be delusional... ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1474 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 99  Next