NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:39 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:35 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

A fresh thread for the topic of "General Sunbelt Conference Realignment and Expansion".

To view the most recent thread:
http://collegesportsinfo/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1448

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:31 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Sun Belt Conference

Arkansas State
Florida Atlantic
Florida A&M
Florida International
Louisiana-Lafayette
Louisiana-Monroe
Middle Tennessee State
Western Kentucky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:33 pm 
Junior
Junior

BlackGold,

These were good links. Thanks. What I couldn't be sure of however was whether or not the football teams were going to compete in the conference as I-A members next season or not.

I've never quite understood the "transition" phase and what it actually means. They don't currently meet standards, so how can they move up? Is is sort of like a "trial" upgrade?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:00 am 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Quote:
What I couldn't be sure of however was whether or not the football teams were going to compete in the conference as I-A members next season or not.

From every article I read, FAU will, apparently, play an SBC schedule next season. FIU, apparently, will not.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:37 am 

West

North TX
UL-Monroe
UL-Laf
Ark St.
Western Kentucky*
La. Tech*

East

Mid TN State
Troy State
FAU
FIU
Florida A&M*
East TN State*

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:19 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Here's from the conference website, changes made by me show up with a "*". Four football & two non-football schools are in each division. Listed by travel partners.

EAST
FIU/FAU
WKU/MTSU
USA/Troy St.

WEST
UNO/UL(-L)
UNT/ULM* or LA Tech*
ASU/UALR
Idaho*/Denver*

* Either ULM or LA Tech will be on board in 2005. LA Tech fans are holding out hope for a C-USA invite should TCU go to the MWC. ULM fans are holding out hope for the same scenario- they are left as a Football Only member if LA Tech comes back.

* Idaho will either move back to 1-AA or join the WAC.

* Denver is looking for a home out west now.

Last edited by kungpaocajun on Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:59 pm 

I don't know if anyone noticed this or not...but i just wanted to see what ya'll think...

Earlier this year....Florida A&M was accepted into I-A status, thus giving up their share of a conference title and post season play for this year...

However FAU, was also accepted into I-A status, but they are still in the I-AA Playoffs, I know they're independent in fb, and they don't have to give up a share of a conference championship, but i don't think it's fair that they be allowed to continue in the I-AA playoffs, if Florida A&M had to give up the right to a post season...

There should be some type of dealine for applications into divisions, and after that dealine, they must wait until the next year to apply again

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:15 pm 

Quote:

I don't know if anyone noticed this or not...but i just wanted to see what ya'll think...

Earlier this year....Florida A&M was accepted into I-A status, thus giving up their share of a conference title and post season play for this year...

However FAU, was also accepted into I-A status, but they are still in the I-AA Playoffs, I know they're independent in fb, and they don't have to give up a share of a conference championship, but i don't think it's fair that they be allowed to continue in the I-AA playoffs, if Florida A&M had to give up the right to a post season...

There should be some type of dealine for applications into divisions, and after that dealine, they must wait until the next year to apply again

You're right. There does need to be a deadline, and it ought to be very strict and not very often.

On another note, as I note the unfairness and think it ought to be different, I still wonder if some jerk will jump on the race relations bandwagon and try to make the unfairness a racial issue.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:40 pm 

I can understand where you are coming from...This unfairness could definitely be taken as a "race" case...being that Florida A&M is a historically black college...and FAU being a predominately white college...I hope that's not the case...but I think that could have a small part in this unfairness...

I know that giving up the right to a share of the conference title was decided solely by A&M's conference, the MEAC...and i know that that the NCAA says they couldn't partcipate in the playoffs this year since they're going I-A, but it just seems to me that since FAU decides to go and gets approved to I-A status, being that they are a "white" school, that they're given the thumbs up without giving up their spot in the I-AA playoffs...

Just to let you know, I am black, and I"m not saying that it is the case...I'm not trying to turn this into a race case, but i feel that you have to look at it from all sides...

I hope that Florida A&M gets into the Sun Belt, I'm glad that more schools from I-AA are given a chance to play I-A ball, I think that all 3 Florida teams will do well...I just thought this was strange and just wanted to point it out...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:46 am 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Quote:

I can understand where you are coming from...This unfairness could definitely be taken as a "race" case...being that Florida A&M is a historically black college...and FAU being a predominately white college...I hope that's not the case...but I think that could have a small part in this unfairness...

I agree that this could look a little fishy, especially since none of us are/were in on the decision making.

However, two of the issues I know the SBC had is that FAMU was missing softball and the finances are in disarray right now.

Last edited by kungpaocajun on Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:43 pm 

Quote:

I agree that this could look a little fishy, especially since none of us are/were in on the decision making.

However, two of the issues I know the SBC had is that FAMU was missing softball and the finances are in disarray right now.

I think FAMU will eventually do what it takes to get into a conference. Most likely the Sun Belt. I think they will do well, or at least well enough not to regret moving up! :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:07 pm 

Quote:
I hope that Florida A&M gets into the Sun Belt, I'm glad that more schools from I-AA are given a chance to play I-A ball, I think that all 3 Florida teams will do well...I just thought this was strange and just wanted to point it out...

The Sun Belt commissioner insists that FAMU has not contacted him about membership. We have an Ask the Commissioner Q/A every month at the Official Site (www.sunbeltsports.org) and he has been asked that question several times.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:49 pm 
One thing to consider is that FAMU may be playing with more than the allotted number of scholarships for IAA. This would keep them out of the playoffs. If FAU decided later to go to 1A they might not exceed the number of scholarships and are therefore eligible.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next