It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:52 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Atlantic South Thread
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:24 am 
Radford to the Atlantic Sun from the Big South:
http://www.roanoke.com/roatimes/news/story166962.html

Delaware St To the Big South from MEAC:
http://www.delawareonline.com/newsjournal/sports/2004/05/11hornetsconsider.html?session=IBRE8lN9iLT2BYFmF7H41pt3tb

Last edited by GoPhoenix on Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 4:55 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

i can understand deleware st.'s desire to get out of the meac and into a more regional conference that is not viewed as the hbc conference of division 1. i dont really understand radford's move however, seems like a lateral one to me, especially if ga. st. leaves. i wonder who the mystery school is?

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:04 am 
It seems more like a move down for Radford.... with Georgia St, UCF, FAU, Samford, and Jacksonville St on their way out or out already.

Anyhow, Radford has had a few articles about whether or not to drop sports all together or whether to drop scholarships.... I never posted those articles though.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:29 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I don't see how anything could be a step down from the Big South. They are a bunch of tiny, mostly private schools that are always at the bottom of Div I in bb.

Delaware St. seems to be wanting to be more competitive and less associated with HBCU's while reducing travel. At only 60% Black, they probably have the highest non-Black % in the MEAC. They are also a lot smaller than most of the MEAC.

Radford's move does seem a little strange as the Atlantic Sun is losing some of their better known programs and seems to be turning itself into a more southern Big South, meaning more travel for Radford.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 10:40 am 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
I don't see how anything could be a step down from the Big South. They are a bunch of tiny, mostly private schools that are always at the bottom of Div I in bb.

Radford's move does seem a little strange as the Atlantic Sun is losing some of their better known programs and seems to be turning itself into a more southern Big South, meaning more travel for Radford.

bullet,

Agreed that there is no way down (or perhaps even lateral?) from the Big South. The A-Sun is making a move to attempt to keep the Big South below by taking one of the higher quality Big South programs.

However, I have to dispute your contention of the A-Sun becoming a more "southern" Big South. Recent losses include FAU, UCF, Jax St., Samford, and Troy. Essentially the Alabama and Fla. schools. Recent acquisitions include Lipscomb, Belmont, and E.Tenn St. from Tennessee, and Gardner-Webb from North Carolina. I'm not certain about your geography but this appears like a "northward" creep to me! ;)
Therefore the addition of Radford from Virginia is not that big of a reach. I'm not certain Radford's travel would be all that greater either. The Big South has three schools in South Carolina and Birgmingham Southern in Alabama. A spot in a northern division of the A-Sun could diminish travel, or be travel neutral. Not certain the distances between Radford and Tennessee schools and Radford and Carolina schools, but it can't be too much different. Granted you would lose the proximity of the North Carolina and Va. schools of the Big South.
8-)

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:41 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

What I was referring to with the Atlantic Sun was their shift to more private schools and a number of relatively recent Div I converts. And by a "more southern Big South", they are mostly North Carolina to Florida now with most below N. Carolina while the Big South is mostly Virginia to South Carolina. I had forgotten about Birmingham Southern. You are right, the Atlantic Sun is losing a little of its Sun and its old ties to the Gulf Coast.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 12:57 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

so this is what the asun is shaping up to be if radford moves, assuming ga st. leaves too:

belmont
campbell
gardner webb
jacksonville
lipscomb
mercer
stetson
east tenn st.
north florida
kennesaw st.
radford
"mystery school" probably another big south school.

the big south would really be left wobbling with:

unca
high point
liberty
winthrop
vmi
charleston southern
birmingham southern
coastal carolina (a socon candidate)

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 11:06 am 
N Florida and Kennesaw St are moving up?

Also, put Longwood in the Big South, with possibly Delaware St.

And, it makes me wonder where Valdosta St, Presbyterian, and West Georgia are going to go if they really do move up.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 11:26 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

deleware st. is just joining for football.

the big south is really going to look like it is at the bottom of the totum pole if it loses radford to the asun.

sorry i forgot about longwood.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 11:46 am 
Also add North Alabama they are expnading the University and the Stadium is home to D2 Football Championship. Also they are expanding the stadium. Also if the mayor Van Morgan gets elected he is pusing for D-1AA.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:41 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

with ga st. set to leave, i wonder if radford will keep their interest due to the shaky ground of the asun automatic bball bid. if ga st. leaves before the 2007-2008 season, the atlantic sun WILL NOT qualify for an automatic bid.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:15 pm 
With GSU leaving, Atlantic Sun loses its NCAA bid, for perhaps one year. The 6/5 rule is overrated because of selective NCAA enforcement! Besides 6/5 non-compliance is only scheduled to occur in 2006-2007. If Louisiana Tech leaves the WAC, then the WAC would really have to worry (theoretically)...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:36 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
deleware st. is just joining for football.

the big south is really going to look like it is at the bottom of the totum pole if it loses radford to the asun.

sorry i forgot about longwood.

Del State is in over their heads and should go back to D-2. they however will try to stay in D-1 by joining the Big South in football and the NEC for evereything else.

http://www.delawareonline.com/newsjournal/sports/2004/05/11hornetsconsider.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:02 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Just to clarify, Delaware State already is Div 1-AA, as is the entire MEAC. They've been since 1-AA started

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:47 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
Just to clarify, Delaware State already is Div 1-AA, as is the entire MEAC. They've been since 1-AA started

you mean since the MEAC started. The most of the MEAC schools came from D2 and the CIAA.