NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:19 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 542 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: A10 Realignment
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:57 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

During the past year of realignment, the A10 picked up Charlotte and St. Louis. Both are quality programs in new markets for the conference.

But as the A10 has expanded, it has become apparent that there is some disparity in the type of programs in the league.

For some time now, fans of the A10 have mentioned that the league needs to "cut the fat" and oust some of the programs that are considered "cellar dwellers".

A program that comes to mind is Duqesne. It think this quote sums it up for them:

http://www.dailyhampshiregazette.com/umhoop/hoopstory.cfm?id_no=12500302005

PEEVED - Rarely one to hide his opinion, Duquesne coach Danny Nee is aggravated, not only at his team's 5-14 record, but at the school for not making good on promises to upgrade the school's facilities.

''It isn't an even keel when I go into Xavier and they have 10,000 people there and they're selling beer and their facilities are on campus,'' Nee told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. ''We can't get 4,000 here. There's some things that are going to have to be changed. We're going to have to make a commitment or we should go to another league.''

The time has come for a change. The NCAA has gone through some changes this past year and many expect the Big East to split in 2010.

What will remain is a non-football Big East conference made of at least:

Providence
St. Johns
Seton Hall
Villanova
Georgetown
Notre Dame
DePaul
Marquette

The A10 has the opportunity to distinguish itself and remain the best basketball confernece without I-A football. But to do so, they will need a few things to happen:

1) Hope that the new Big East won't poach any of it's top programs.

2) Cut the fat and build a stronger A10.

What I would like to see happen:

2005 A10:
UMass
Rhode Island
St. Bonaventure
Fordham
LaSalle
St. Josephs
Temple
George Washington
Richmond
Charlotte
St. Louis
Xavier
Dayton
Duquesne

To do:
Oust St. Bonaventure, Duquesne, Fordham and LaSalle

Remaining: (10) team Atlantic 10

UMass
Rhode Island
St. Josephs
Temple
George Washington
Richmond
Charlotte
St. Louis
Xavier
Dayton

Should the Big East take 2 teams from the A10?

Likely candidates:
#1) Xavier: top A10 program; would replace Cincinnatti market with loss of football Bearcats.

#2) Dayton: great fan support and facilities. A close #2 to Xavier and is also a catholic school.

#3) St. Louis: would add the St. Louis market and increase the western footprint of the Big East.

#4) Charlotte: the first non-catholic school to make the list. Would give the Big East a basketball program right in the middle of ACC country.

#5) Richmond: since joining the A10 the Spiders have alreayd sene the benfits with an at-large NCAA invite. Georgetown president has lobbied for Richmond in the event of a split with the football schools.

#6) UMass: the program has struggled of late, but with the departure of Boston College, the Big East will be missing a school to highlight the Boston market. Football ambitions arUMass would need to be put to rest if they were to be considered seriously.

If the A10 loses 1-2 schools (the new Big East would likely take only 1-2 schools since there are little benfits for a non-football conference to expand beyond 9.)....

Schools on the A10 radar:

Butler:
great support and would give the A10 more mid-western exposure

Boston University:
new facilities and part of the Boston market. While their exposure is limited, it would add another school from the northeast region.

Holy Cross:
The school turned down the Big East in 1979 but like BU would help the NE market.

Old Dominion:
Would add the Norfolk market and fill the market gap between Richmond and Charlotte.

Detroit:
Mentioned last year as a potential candidate for market exposure and to balance the footprint.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

Last edited by Quinn on Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:10 pm 
One of three remaining charter members of the A-10 (George Washington, UMass), Duquesne was a member of the Midwest Collegiate Conference (Horizon League) for the 1992-1993 season. Why the A-10 decided to readmit Duquesne for the 1993-1994 season defies logical explanation...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:14 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

I think it had something to do with the departures of West Virginia and Rutgers that next season, and expanding the footprint along with Dayton and Xavier.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:34 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/me....hoops_to_join /

Article regarding BU and the A10

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:04 pm 
Dayton became a member of the Great Midwest Conference (Fall 1993) at the same time Duquesne returned to the A-10. The departures of Rutgers and West Virginia for the BIG EAST weren't even announced until Spring 1994. I am not as certain as to the timetable on the addition of Xavier, but I know they weren't officially extended an A-10 invitation until at least 1994...they could have carried on without Duquesne...UMass was on the rise under Calipari, Temple was still solid, and the A-8 sent more teams (four) to the NCAAs in 1993 than the BIG EAST (three), with Temple advancing to the Elite Eight, George Washington the Sweet 16, and UMass and URI to the second round...they weren't really in a serious position to lose their automatic bid (Villanova wouldn't let Temple in the BIG EAST) and could have waited...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:57 pm 
Any word on what division ST.L. & Char. will be in next year? Is Duquesne going tothe east and both newcomers to west?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:54 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

this is just my guess, but this is how i see the divisions

east:

fordham
st. bony
uri
umass
temple
st. joe's
lasalle (from the west)

west:

duqu.
george washington
richmond
charlotte
st. louis
dayton
xavier

that way all the philly schools will be in the same division, and the only one really left akward is duquense being in the division w/ the south and midwest schools.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:03 am 
So I presume you think Dayton, Xavier, St. Louis, and Charlotte will join the BE BB schools in 2010-11. Very plausible , should that group (including ND) wnat to expand to 12.

The only questionable one might be Charlotte, formerly UNCC, which would be the only non-Catholic School.

I'm not sure who might be preferred to Charlotte, since Villanova might veto the addition of any other Philly schools. Someone like Holy Cross, perhaps ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:47 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The new BE has started but its death is already predicted.Further if ND wanted to play in such a weakened league it would have happened.Their desire to stay with the BE football schools is now shown with its scheduling arrangement/part membership with BE.More likely moves for the A10 come from Temple going to MAC for all sports minus John Chaney and BU replacing them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:05 am 
TS2 -

I can buy the BU part. They would seem to be the cream of the crop of the American East.

Temple in the MAC just seems like a bad fit. Their move from the A-10 would seem ill-advised, and the only motivation seems to be finding a new home for their lousy FB program. I agree Chaney's days would appear to be numbered (both due to age, and poor judgement leading to a loss of respect for his public persona).

I keep hearing about on-going discussions between Temple and the MAC, but the MAC is sort of Great Lakes, and Philly is eastern, and if I'm a MAC school and we are comfortably sitting at 12, I'd say "no thanks" to Temple. A big question facing the MAC, that affects their long-term stability is "What will the NCAA do with regard to enforcing the 15,000 criteria ?" If the answer is nothing, then I see the MAC (as currently configured) as fairly stable. IF they a worried about schools being forced back to 1-AA, then it may be in their interest to keep Temple in mind as a replacement.

From Temple's perspective, they would seem to ideally want to associate with the BE FB schools. I believe the recently released 2003 BE memos indicate that this is not out of the question. Temple has two big detriments. I think Villanova wants to be the only Philly team in the BE... (that issue disappears if there is a split). The other detriment is that Temple's profile and FB attendance has declined terribly, and needs to be fixed. Their best bet might be to improve in FB, and become attractive as an expansion candidate in 2010.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:28 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Temple has a long term agreement to play football in the new football stadium.Waiting for the BE to break apart does not seem like a great strategy.ND and appearently already has a scheduling arrangement with the BE football.It also would appear that both Army and Navy are on there way to a similar scheduling arrangement.With the movement of A10 football to the CAA,the possiblity of Villanova taking some sort of BE football arrangement is also possible.

Now lets look at the geography of the MAC( Buffalo in western NYS and Kent and Akron in eastern Ohio,not much different than Pittburgh or WVU.)Attendance requirements for the MAC are a bit easier than the BE.Also the MAC is trying to move WKU into the MAC to increase its bb presence.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:34 pm 

Quote:
With the movement of A10 football to the CAA,the possiblity of Villanova taking some sort of BE football arrangement is also possible.

Care to expand on this comment?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 542 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next