NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:24 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:48 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:05 am
Posts: 672
Location: Louisville, KY
It's too bad that the Big Sky isn't interested in SUU, because then the Big Sky could do the following:

Pacific Division:
UC Davis
Cal Poly SLO
Sacramento State
Portland State
Eastern Washington
Northern Arizona

Mountain Division:
Idaho State
Weber State
Southern Utah
Northern Colorado
Montana
Montana State

Granted, having 12 for football isn't as important at the I-AA level, but it can at least cut down on some of the lengthier road trips, and it would protect against any future I-A upgrades. It would also keep the Big Sky from having to go into the Dakotas.

This would leave just seven schools in the Big West Conference and eight schools in the West Coast Conference. Any future I-A upgrades (or at least more upgrades than downgrades), or the WAC and MWC inviting any non-football schools, would almost certainly force the Big West and West Coast to merge. Unless if Denver and/or Utah Valley State join the Big West, it would probably be curtains for the Big West.

So if Southern Utah ever jumps the Mid-Con for the Big Sky, they could conceivably kill the Big West or the West Coast, and the Great West Football Conference as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:38 pm 
Southern Utah moving to the Big Sky couldn't kill the Big West or the West Coast...look at their respective membership demographics...


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:05 am 
Agree with Mr. Ouija...
The moves discussed do not affect the WCC at all - the same 8 teams now and afterward.

However the Big Sky snarfing up teams from the Great West (northern Colorado may be imminent) would certainly threaten the Great West. There aren't too many other I-AA FB candidates for the Great West to pursue.

If San Jose State decided to down-grade, they could potentially go Big West / Great West. Or the Great West could attempt to entice someone like U of San Diego to upgrade from the non-scholarship Pioneer League.

Or the remaining Great West members could discuss merger / absorbtion with the Gateway Conference (currently 8 schools, although West. Ky could be headed elsewhere). The Gateway would certainly seem to be a reasonable fit for the Dakota Schools, in that the Gateway includes Drake (Iowa), SW Missouri State (soon to be re-named Missouri State), and 3 Illinois schools.


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:35 am 
Horizon League: Butler, Cleveland State, Detroit, Illinois at Chicago, Indiana-Purdue at Fort Wayne, Loyola (IL), Wisconsin at Green Bay, Wisconsin at Milwaukee, Wright State, Youngstown State

Mid-Continent: Chicago State, Denver, Indiana-Purdue at Indianapolis, Missouri at Kansas City, Oakland, Oral Roberts, Southern Utah, Valparaiso, Western Illinois

Missouri Valley: Bradley, Creighton, Drake, Evansville, Illinois State, Indiana State, Missouri State, North Dakota State, Northern Iowa, South Dakota State, Southern Illinois, Wichita State


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:17 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference

Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:18 pm
Posts: 758

Quote:
Horizon League: Butler, Cleveland State, Detroit, Illinois at Chicago, Indiana-Purdue at Fort Wayne, Loyola (IL), Wisconsin at Green Bay, Wisconsin at Milwaukee, Wright State, Youngstown State

Mid-Continent: Chicago State, Denver, Indiana-Purdue at Indianapolis, Missouri at Kansas City, Oakland, Oral Roberts, Southern Utah, Valparaiso, Western Illinois

Missouri Valley: Bradley, Creighton, Drake, Evansville, Illinois State, Indiana State, Missouri State, North Dakota State, Northern Iowa, South Dakota State, Southern Illinois, Wichita State


The Dakota schools have the same chance of getting into the MVC as Missouri State does getting into the Big XII.

If the Valley expands look for Western Kentucky with either Oral Roberts or Butler. Another possibility could be UMKC for the KC tv market. More likely scenario:

MVC adds Western Kentucky and Oral Roberts.

Horizon adds IUPUI, Oakland, and IPFW.

Mid-Con adds North Dakota St, South Dakota St, Denver, and Utah Valley State.

MVC
West - Creighton, Drake, Missouri St, UNI, Oral Roberts, Wichita St
East - Bradley, Evansville, Illinois St, Indiana St, Southern Illinois, Western Kentucky

Horizon
West - Butler, Illinois-Chicago, IUPUI, Loyola, Wisconsin-Green Bay, Wisconsin-Milwaukee
East - Cleveland St, Detroit, IPFW, Oakland, Wright St, Youngstown St

Mid-Con
Chicago St, North Dakota St, South Dakota St, UMKC, Valpo, Western Illinois, Southern Utah, Denver, Utah Valley State


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:00 pm 
>:(No Way Denver will Go To The Mid Continent

It seems that every time someone starts talking about movement in the Mid Continent, that Denver's name comes up. Denver is a top rated national university that unfortunately does not play football, so it can yet get into the two most logical conferences for it - MWC or WAC. With all the pro sports and entertainment options in Denver, DU fans mostly students and alums have no more interest in watching a basketball game against a Chicago St, North Dakota St, South Dakota St, UMKC, Valpo, Western Illinois, Southern Utah or Utah Valley State . These schools would not draw any better than the Big Sky schools or the Sun Belt schools do. DU can draw 5-6,000 for a Wyoming, CSU, a Stamford or Gonzaga, but not for the type schools in the Mid Continent. As Puck Swami has said on other boards, over 50% of Denver's students are from the East or West Coasts and have no more interest in watching the schools in the Mid Continent, Horizon or Big Sky than they do the schools in the Sun Belt. The only thing Denver has in common with some of the Mid Con schools is geography. Denver is a top ranked national school and that is not the case with any of the schools in those other conference, It seems that some posters like David K keep trying to put a square peg into a round hole and do not understand that students at a very expensive top ranked private school have no interest in watching cames vs. Southern Utah or Utah Valley State, let alone even know where it is.

Denver most likely will stay in the Sun Belt and build up its Men's basketball program and its attendence by playing a strong out of conference schedules against traditional rivals like Air Force, CSU and Wyoming and such national programs as Stamford and Gonzaga. This past season we were picked to finish last in the Sun Belt and won it and almost upset Stamford and Kansas State. With a 2-3 more strong seasons maybe a WAC, MCW or WCC or even a Conference USA will come a calling. We have a great airport and already are paying to travel all over the South, so why not wait until we can travel to some places that will draw crowds at our place.



Top
  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:05 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference

Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:18 pm
Posts: 758

Quote:
>:(No Way Denver will Go To The Mid Continent

It seems that every time someone starts talking about movement in the Mid Continent, that Denver's name comes up. Denver is a top rated national university that unfortunately does not play football, so it can yet get into the two most logical conferences for it - MWC or WAC. With all the pro sports and entertainment options in Denver, DU fans mostly students and alums have no more interest in watching a basketball game against a Chicago St, North Dakota St, South Dakota St, UMKC, Valpo, Western Illinois, Southern Utah or Utah Valley State . These schools would not draw any better than the Big Sky schools or the Sun Belt schools do. DU can draw 5-6,000 for a Wyoming, CSU, a Stamford or Gonzaga, but not for the type schools in the Mid Continent. As Puck Swami has said on other boards, over 50% of Denver's students are from the East or West Coasts and have no more interest in watching the schools in the Mid Continent, Horizon or Big Sky than they do the schools in the Sun Belt. The only thing Denver has in common with some of the Mid Con schools is geography. Denver is a top ranked national school and that is not the case with any of the schools in those other conference, It seems that some posters like David K keep trying to put a square peg into a round hole and do not understand that students at a very expensive top ranked private school have no interest in watching cames vs. Southern Utah or Utah Valley State, let alone even know where it is.

Denver most likely will stay in the Sun Belt and build up its Men's basketball program and its attendence by playing a strong out of conference schedules against traditional rivals like Air Force, CSU and Wyoming and such national programs as Stamford and Gonzaga. This past season we were picked to finish last in the Sun Belt and won it and almost upset Stamford and Kansas State. With a 2-3 more strong seasons maybe a WAC, MCW or WCC or even a Conference USA will come a calling. We have a great airport and already are paying to travel all over the South, so why not wait until we can travel to some places that will draw crowds at our place.



If Denver is such an academic powerhouse, then you would think you could spell Stanford right.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:51 am 
Western Kentucky would have moved to Missouri Valley by now if they wanted to join.


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:01 am 
2014-2015 Season

WAC
Boise State
Fresno State
Hawaii
Idaho
Louisiana Tech
Nevada
New Mexico State
Portland State
Sacramento State
San Jose State
Utah State

Big Sky
Eastern Washington
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
Northern Arizona
Northern Colorado
Southern Utah
Weber State

Mid Continent
Chicago State
Denver
Indiana-Purdue at Indianapolis
Missouri at Kansas City
Oral Roberts
Oakland
Utah Valley State
Valparaiso
Western Illinois

Horizon League
Butler
Cleveland State
Detroit
Illlinois at Chicago
Indiana-Purdue & Fort Wayne
Loyola (IL)
Wisconsin at Green Bay
Wisconsin at Milwaukee
Wright State
Youngstown State

Missouri Valley
Bradley
Creighton
Drake
Evansville
Illinois State
Indiana State
Missouri State
North Dakota State
Northern Iowa
South Dakota State
Southern Illinois
Wichita State


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:10 am 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference

Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:18 pm
Posts: 758

Quote:
Western Kentucky would have moved to Missouri Valley by now if they wanted to join.


They do want to join the MVC. The problem is the MVC can't find a 12 member that is worthy enough yet. There is a quote from the WKU coach about it somewhere.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:34 am 
MVC should have grabbed St. Louis instead of letting them go to the Atlantic 10.


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:42 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference

Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:18 pm
Posts: 758

Quote:
MVC should have grabbed St. Louis instead of letting them go to the Atlantic 10.


The MVC did invite them, it was SLU's choice between A-10 and the Valley. I think the Valley's plan was to add them and Western Kentucky. Now expansion has been put off until they find the right 12th member.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:08 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:57 pm
Posts: 1275
Location: Portland! (and about time!)

Quote:
>:(No Way Denver will Go To The Mid Continent

DU can draw 5-6,000 for a Wyoming, CSU, a Stamford or Gonzaga, but not for the type schools in the Mid Continent.


So will about 300 other schools.

You have to prove that you can draw against a Missouri-Kansas City before you can really start talking about being viable in a higher conference.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 2:19 pm 
What is the capacity for DU's home court? Presumably that doesn't mean the Pepsi(?) Center(?)...is McNichols even still around (ala "The Mecca" in Miwaukee?)...


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
 

 




Looking for College Sports apparel? Support our partner:








Support Our Partners: Search Engine Marketing - Search Engine Optimization - Search Engine Training - Online Marketing for Restuarants

Subway Map Shirts - Food and Travel

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group