NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:48 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Horizon League Expansion
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:50 pm 
I think that the Horizon League should add IPFW.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:15 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Your reason?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:27 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
I think that the Horizon League should add IPFW.

I think that IUPU-Fort Wayne should be added by the Horizon League, too.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:59 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Again, why?

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:51 am 
They need a conference to play in. The Horizon League is good as any.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:44 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
I graduated from IPFW and although I would love to see them in the Horizon, they would probably have a difficult time being competitive in that league. I agree they do need a conference to play in, however it would be nice if you had some or any information to back your reasoning. Geographically, it would be awesome, and IPFW usually does beat the Horizon bottom dwellers like Youngstown State in basketball, but I have doubts about IPFW receiving an invitation to join. If the Horizon League were to expand I could see them grabbing a few different Mid-Con teams instead of IPFW, in which case IPFW might then get invited to the Mid-Con Conference.

Indy Fan, I agree with you of what you've just said. Either the Horizon or the Mid-Con, it might be possble for the Mastadons to join one of them. Or they might accept to play in the Mid-American Conference (for all sports).

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:32 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
IPFW is an affiliate member of the MAC in men's tennis and soccer, however since they do not play football there is very little chance they will ever become full members of that conference.
The athletic budget at IPFW does not approach what is spent at MAC institutions, therefore the Mid-Con provides a better option and a similiar level of competition. I live in Indianapolis and work one block away from the Horizon League offices in the Pan Am Plaza. I talked with a guy there that I met through business and it did not sound as if the Horizon would be much interested in IPFW, although he could not say of course. He did mention they are DEFINITELY interested in expanding to TEN members in the conference. Gave 0 hints though.

Valpo? Oakland? Northern Kentucky? UMKC? The choices are out there for Horizon.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:12 pm 
Note that Loyola (NCAA Championship, Sweet 16 appearance in 1985) saw the MCC memberships of Northern Illinois and Illinois-Chicago...

Rice sponsored Houston's application for SWC membership in the 1970s, and UH welcomed Rice into the C-USA fold three decades later...

FIU is now witnessing the accession of FAU to Sun Belt membership...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:39 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
IPFW is an affiliate member of the MAC in men's tennis and soccer, however since they do not play football there is very little chance they will ever become full members of that conference.
The athletic budget at IPFW does not approach what is spent at MAC institutions, therefore the Mid-Con provides a better option and a similiar level of competition. I live in Indianapolis and work one block away from the Horizon League offices in the Pan Am Plaza. I talked with a guy there that I met through business and it did not sound as if the Horizon would be much interested in IPFW, although he could not say of course. He did mention they are DEFINITELY interested in expanding to TEN members in the conference. Gave 0 hints though.

You got a point there and it sounds fair to me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:41 pm 
The Mid-Con's admission of Southern Utah was under extenuating circumstances...however, Centenary was admitted while IPFW remained a D-I Independent...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:56 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
I think if Western Kentucky decides to ditch it's idea for I-A football that they would leave the Sunbelt for either the Missouri Valley or the Horizon League. Being that their football team plays in the Gateway Conference though, I would think that they would go with the Valley. If they do go I-A they have been mentioned as an add on for the MAC. Nice fit either way. As for IP-Fort Wayne....if the Mid-Con hasn't brought them in yet, why would the Horizon? The Mid-Con kind of stinks compared to the Horizon. That's why they have to go to Utah and Louisiana to get schools to join. Doesn't say much for IPFW does it

Western Kentucky doesn't want to go to the Horizon. They really want to join the MVC, trouble is they have fb aspirations in their head so the MAC could be the front runner. They probally would have been in the MVC this season if SLU didn't join the A-10.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next