NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:02 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 456 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:56 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1958914

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

Last edited by Quinn on Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:16 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

NCAA CONVENTION
Big Ten boss says BCS panel discussed
Poll of 'experts' is 1 of the options for replacing AP vote, according to Delany.
By Mark Alesia
mark.alesia@indystar.com
January 8, 2005
http://www.indystar.com/articles/7/207922-3467-036.html

Quote:
The BCS is looking at three possibilities:
• Keeping the same system by replacing the AP poll and still using a coaches' poll and computers.
• A selection committee that would choose teams at the end of the season, much like basketball.
• A hybrid system, employing polls and computers, with a selection committee perhaps only selecting the top two teams.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:13 am 

Quote:
Link to article regarding bowls vs playoff with comments from college Presidents at http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=14&p=2&c=337616

I hope these guys get fired!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:56 pm 

Quote:
NCAA CONVENTION
Big Ten boss says BCS panel discussed
Poll of 'experts' is 1 of the options for replacing AP vote, according to Delany.
By Mark Alesia
mark.alesia@indystar.com
January 8, 2005
http://www.indystar.com/articles/7/207922-3467-036.html

I would be OK with just going to a selection committee but there has to be some grounds for which they'll base their selections. The championship game participants would be fairly transparent but what about the non-BCS schools getting a crack at some of the major games?

They should keep the BCS system for determining eligibility for BCS bowls, and automatic bids to the BCS games. If that system was streamlined down to just computer polls, that would eliminate the subjectivity of the human polls and be better system than what we have currently.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:16 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Computers are as subjective as their programmers.

Programmers are more likely to be nerds than football-proficient.

For purposes of this post, you can call me a nerd, even though I'm not a programmer.

I think you can tell that I think the "computers-only" idea is worse than even the panel acting as a poll, a proposal for which many sick people should be fired.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:01 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The following link is a petition letter to the BCS Presidents for an eight game playoff: http://www.petitiononline.com/ENDBCS/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:56 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

New Article added to the Blog regarding the SEC and the BCS:

http://collegesportsinfo.com/blog/

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:29 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

thats a very interesting article. if true i would be forced to root for the "auburn" scenario to occur again. while its sad to want to see chaos, its for the greater good.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:11 pm 
As I recall, when the bowl TV contracts were renewed early this year, ABC was pushing the 4 + 1, and then only renewed their Rose Bowl rights when the BCS resisted the +1 idea. Fox then swooped in and bought the other BCS bowl rights.

But the +1 is no panacea. To resolve the situation where you have 3 or 4 undefeated teams going in, you almost have to pair them off against each other in the first round. Otherwise all undefeated teams could win in the first round, and then you are forced to disclude one or more of them in the final (+1) game.

The obvious answer - a seeded tournament style bracket, but the BCS will continue to resist all attempts at logic....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:58 am 
All-Star
All-Star

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=2209572

Gotta like this Gene Wojciechowski column.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:08 pm 
Well I like that he can recognize there is a problem that only a full-fledged playoff tournament can ever hope to resolve.

Yet he proposes another "band-aid" of the same ilk as the annual band-aids that he castigates the BCS for coming up with year after year.

I'd love to see an article that shows explicitly WHY these college president are so HOOKED on the current singel tier of Bowls...

Is it some type of kick-back ?

If so, isn't there so much more TV advertising money available from a tourney, that these obstructionists could effectively be bought out with other perks / favors ?

Every "altruistic" excuse for keeping the current system breaks down in hypocrisy.

Lets' do some math... each BCS conference gets say $17 mill for having an auto-bid, and some lucky ones get another $4-5 mill for an at-large. My numbers may be off a bit, but that totals 6 x 17 + 2 x 5 = $112 million, for the BCS bowls. Some lesser bowls may pay the conferences $2 mill / year. Lets say the entire bowl pool is worth $200 million.

Supposing ABC/ESPN or CBS/CSTV or FOX approached the conference offices and said....

We will fork out $250 mill to participant schools if you agree to a 16-team playoff.
Format: discontinue conference championship games, give us division winner in ACC (2), SEC (3), B12 (2), two top B10 schools, 2 top PAC-10 schools, BE champ, MWC Champ, CUSA Champ, one at large to go to best champ of MAC/WAC/SBC, and 2 other at-larges....

$250 mill / 16 teams. Every participant team gets $15.6 mill to split up for their conference. The elite 5 conferences get AT LEAST $31.2 million for two participants and maybe more if they earn an at-large.

Every conference CLEARLY gets a better deal.....

YET ! I suspect the college presidents would shoot this down.
And I don't honestly understand why, and I wish somebody would tell me......

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:10 pm 
sorry about the typo above - I meant both (2) SEC division champs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 456 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next