All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bowl/Play-off System
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:27 am 
Here's my idea for a playoff system.

- 24 team playoff
- All conference champions get in
- 13 at-large bids
- Teams seeded 1-6: Seeding based on BCS rankings
- Championship game rotates between Fiesta, Rose, Orange, Sugar *Upcoming season: Would be Rose Bowl*
- The next two bowls to host the Championship Game get to host semifinal games *Upcoming Season: Fiesta, Sugar*
- Capital One Bowl, Holiday Bowl, Cotton Bowl, plus one of the BCS bowl host quarterfinals *Upcoming season: Orange*
- First two rounds at campus sites.
- Tournament would be set up so each bowl would have a shot at having their traditional match-up: i.e. Rose would always have a shot at a Big Ten/Pac 10 matchup; same with Cotton Bowl and Big 12/SEC

Here's what it would've looked like last year (I'll have to write it as a list, since I don't know how to format it to look like a bracket)

First Round:
Game 1: #5 Wisconsin at #4 Tennessee
Game 2: #6 Texas Tech at #3 Boise State
Game 3: #5 Virginia at #4 Michigan
Game 4: #6 Toledo at #3 Iowa
Game 5: #5 Arizona State at #4 Miami-FL
Game 6: #6 North Texas at #3 Louisiana State
Game 7: #5 Texas A&M at #4 Florida State
Game 8: #6 Pittsburgh at #3 Louisville

Second Round:
Game 9: Game 1 Winner at #1 Southern California
Game 10: Game 2 Winner at #2 Utah
Game 11: Game 3 Winner at #1 Texas
Game 12: Game 4 Winner at #2 Georgia
Game 13: Game 5 Winner at #1 Oklahoma
Game 14: Game 6 Winner at #2 California
Game 15: Game 7 Winner at #1 Auburn
Game 16: Game 8 Winner at #2 Virginia Tech

Quarterfinals
Holiday Bowl: Game 9 Winner vs. Game 10 Winner
Capital One Bowl: Game 11 Winner vs. Game 12 Winner
Cotton Bowl: Game 13 Winner vs. Game 14 Winner
Sugar Bowl: Game 15 Winner vs. Game 16 Winner

Semifinals
Rose Bowl: Holiday Bow Winner vs. Capital One Bowl Winner
Fiesta Bowl: Cotton Bowl Winner vs. Sugar Bowl Winner

Championship Game
Orange Bowl: Rose Bowl Winner vs. Fiesta Bowl Winner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:58 pm 
It’s that time of the year again. Even though PSU has had this unbelievable year (Let’s go Buffs and Bruins), it still falls short of what we want. The true national tournament. All year, I convinced myself that 8 teams were enough but I am now back on the 16 team bandwagon. The suckiness of the Big East and the politics of Notre Dame have convinced me.

Here’s who gets in my tournament: The 8 conference winners with the highest BCS rankings and the next highest 8 teams. (This year, Texas Tech is the team on the bubble but someone will always cry)

There will be no more conference championship games. Each school should play every other team in the conference. I know it sucks that some conferences have more teams than others but again, life is not fair.

The first round games would be played this weekend. Settle in, my friends because you have 8 games to catch and tons of beers and nachos to consume.

Here is this week’s schedule….

All games on Saturday. These will be played at the home fields of the higher seeded teams. All 119 teams could sell tickets for this date in the hopes that their team gets to host a first round game. The brackets don’t quite fit the 1-16 mold that we love from March Madness because travel is taken into consideration:

10:30 am Georgia at Ohio State ESPN

12:00 noon WVU at Penn State ABC

1:30 pm Auburn at Virginia Tech ESPN 2

3:00 pm Alabama at Texas CBS

4:30 pm Miami at LSU ABC

6:00 pm Fresno State at Oregon ESPN 2

7:30 pm TCU at USC ESPN

9:00 pm UCLA at Notre Dame NBC

The losers of these games are now eligible to play in a bowl game. If the Gator Bowl thinks that WVU or Auburn or whomever gives them the best bowl game, let those teams have the reward of going to Jacksonville.

The winners will play in the current BCS bowls. Traditional slots will try to be held. Again, seeding is on the backburner. To win the tournament, you have to win 4 games no matter what. There will be a month off after this first round so the student athletes can, you know, study.

If the seeds held, we would have…

ROSE: OHIO STATE AT USC

FIESTA: OREGON AT TEXAS

ORANGE: VA TECH AT PENN STATE

SUGAR: NOTRE DAME AT LSU

The winners would play the next week (both semis in one of the 4 BCS stadiums.) The semifinal winners would play a week later at another one of those sites. Hardly any class would be missed. (Besides only 4 teams are going into the spring semester).

(By the way, in this dream scenario Penn State beats Notre Dame in the finals. Why not shoot for the moon?)

Now that I solved this, I am going to work on that Iraq thing……

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:53 pm 
I agree with penn state dandy's plan, just my mounties would beat penn st. to become the "beast of the east".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:02 am 
To elaborate on penn state dandy's plan more, the 8 conference winners with the highest BCS rankings and the next highest 8 teams, I think would get some lead way with the major conferences. Maybe even reduce that number to 7, as some conferences, ala the Sun Belt, barely produce a team above .500.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:54 am 
Since there are 11 D1 conferences, there would be little chance that a sub 500 Sun Belt team would finish as one of the top 8 conference winners.

Also, above replace "Utah" with "Fresno State". Sorry.

WVUfan, I miss the rivalry between our 2 schools. I wish that they could still play.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:19 pm 
We miss it too penn state danny. hopefully they will meet somewhere in the BCS this year. I think the BCS should take that match up into consideration. Yeah Penn St./Notre Dame might sound like a good tv match up, but the tv people don't know the fierce competition between the two. If a plan like this were put in place, it would make some interesting conference realignments.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:48 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

I just came across my suggestion from 2 years ago.

I still think that it could work.

8 conference champs; 8 at large teams; no seeding

First round:

12 Noon: OSU-KANSAS
1:30 : BC-WVU
3:00 : CLEMSON-LSU
4:30 : OKLAHOMA-ILLINOIS
6:00 : GEORGIA-MISSOURI
7:30 : FLORIDA-VIRGINIA TECH
9:00 : BYU-USC
10:30 : AZ ST- HAWAII

2ND ROUND--IF THE FAVORITES WIN

ROSE: OSU-USC
FIESTA: HAWAII-OKLA
SUGAR: LSU-WVU
ORANGE: GEORGIA- VT

I still like it. I still wish it would happen. I still know that it never will.....