NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:32 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:01 pm 
Army and Navy are geographically suited for the Big East in football, but that is about it. While the MWC works for the AFA, the eastern service academies have re-embraced their football independence and seem comfortable with the Patriot League for bb. For football, particularly with the trend set by Navy, is to schedule nationally, carefully selecting opponents that are competitive at their level, and continuing with their traditional Commander-in-Chief rivals and a couple of other traditional, lucrative games.

While the academies have strong regime and academic requirements, they are also supported with a healthy Congressional budget. Survival at 1-A levels, in terms of access to revenue, does not appear to be an issue.

Playing a few of the current Big East teams is a natural. They played several of them, often, before the Big East was ever formed. Obviously with Big East teams in their backyards, they will continue to play certain ones. I doubt either academy will join the Big East, even if a split occurs. Certainly, their bb programs would further struggle in any "all sports" arrangement. Having "scheduling objectives" with the Big East is not unusual. To label such as affiliates or associates is counter to service academies independent stance.

Army's fb only experience in C-USA was dismal. It may have been whomever Army played in 1-A during those years, their W-L would have been poor. However, it is something to point to, and it was a learning experience, but not a good one.

The selective, national profile for Army and Navy scheduling may be the right choices for them at this time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:53 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Dogs&thingys;

Agree 100% with every thing you said. Navy set the pattern a few years ago of scheduling teams that they can compete with year in and year out. The also schedule with schools with great academics regularly such as Duke, Wake Forest, Rice, SMU, and TCU which gives them playing time against ACC and Cusa teams. Add at least one west coast team, the 2 other academies, 2 MAC teams, ND, and Rutgers and their schedule is complete. Sometimes they play 1AA schools such Villanova and UMass, and other BE schools such as Pitt and Conn. Rotate these teams through with Temple and ECU which are on future schedules and they have a great national mix along with 3-4 east coast teams to cut travel costs and keep great local rivalries. Army is in the same scheduling mode now to hopefully copy Navy's current success and ability to get to post season holiday bowls.

As for their BB they are both in the cellar in the Patriot League. If they can't compete in a non scholarship league then they are not moving into a conference like the BE where suicide would be a nightly and week end event for hoops.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:00 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I don't want to discount the fact that football at the service academies is primarily for the good of the students, and it is...

They are a promotional vehicle for recruitment. Obviously moreso the last four years.

To tie down to one conference in one region PROBABLY dilutes the mission, especially when there's an overall Southern recruiting base. Being independent in football supports that mission.

That probably also shows basketball as not necessarily a prime recruiting tool, but that's another discussion.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:37 pm 
For 2006 in football, Notre Dame will play zero teams among the BE fb 8. They will play:
4 Big 10 schools
3 PAC 10 schools
2 ACC schools
3 Military Service academies

Army will play one BE fb opponent in 2006: UCONN
Interestingly, Army will play 4 teams from Texas (TCU, Baylor, Rice, & Texas A&M); plus two others in the nearby region (Arkansas State and Tulane).

Navy will play two BE opponents in fb in 2006: UCONN and Rutgers.

Among the three independents (Army, Navy, and Notre Dame) there will be only 3 games with BE opponents, and two of those are with UCONN.

Exactly when are all these supposedly 4 games each agreements from the independents with the BE fb 8 going to kick in and get scheduled? ::)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:27 pm 
Senior
Senior

Not happening. ND press release March 6, 2006 from the Annym. Donor states that ND will commit to THREE BE games after 2011 not FOUR. Nothing in the Army and Navy schedules presented so far through 2016 indicates more than 3 games per year for Navy (once) and 1 game per year from Army. Conn. Rugers and Pitt are the only BE teams scheduled along with MAC bound Temple. The alliance conspiracy is dead.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:02 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

My general definition of conspiracies regard things that have happened, not things that haven't. This is where the word "vaporware" comes in.

What we have is one or two posters running really scared because (1) fear of losing BCS slot, and/or (2) fear that lack of regard for the Big East will result in a sub-optimal TV contract. There's no reason to fear #1. I don't see how the persistent selling and/or intimidating of the seven people on this board will factor into #2, personally, especially when the stink has already been raised in regards to the BE.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:39 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Quote:
Not happening. ND press release March 6, 2006 from the Annym. Donor states that ND will commit to THREE BE games after 2011 not FOUR. Nothing in the Army and Navy schedules presented so far through 2016 indicates more than 3 games per year for Navy (once) and 1 game per year from Army. Conn. Rugers and Pitt are the only BE teams scheduled along with MAC bound Temple. The alliance conspiracy is dead.
Not finished is not the same as dead.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:57 pm 
Here is a lengthy article from December 21, 2005, approximately three and a half months ago, concerning Army scheduling. It gives their rationale for whom they play in national scheduling:

Army Release 2006 Football Schedule

http://goarmysports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/122105aaa.html

Contained therin:

"We are very pleased with the mixture of opponents contained on our 2006 football schedule," Anderson stated. "One of the main reasons we returned to Independent status last year was to provide scheduling flexibility and allow us to schedule some longtime rivals that we otherwise would not have had the opportunity to play. We were able to schedule some of those opponents in 2006, including Notre Dame."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:46 pm 
"In the future, we normally won't play more than 4 BCS opponents a season - more manageable schedule (realistic) and a better chance for a winning season.....the goal!"

Ask the AD
Chet Gladchuk
Navy

http://navysports.cstv.com/ot/ask-the-ad-footbl-scheduling-html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:48 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
"In the future, we normally won't play more than 4 BCS opponents a season - more manageable schedule (realistic) and a better chance for a winning season.....the goal!"

Ask the AD
Chet Gladchuk
Navy

http://navysports.cstv.com/ot/ask-the-ad-footbl-scheduling-html
The site is no longer there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:37 pm 
Pardon, TS2, et. al. Apparently, was removed recently from website. These are the Q & As pasted. No specific dates per question (post 2004 season through 2005 season up to 2006 apparently), and certainly since Coach Johnson arrived and had completed season(s). It was active in 2006 due to bottom date.

from http://navysports.cstv.com/
Ask the AD -- Football Scheduling
Q: First of all, let me thank you for the wonderful job you have done as Athletic Director at the Naval Academy. As a graduate of Georgia Southern University and a former resident of Savannah GA, I have watched Coach Johnson through the years, and his teams have always been very exciting to watch. After relocating to Annapolis (working in D.C.), the first thing I did was purchase season tickets for the 2004 season. I purchased them again this year (2005), and I will continue to purchase season tickets as long as I live here. I am growing accustomed to many of the NAVY traditions around the game of football (such as Navy vs. Notre Dame), and I understand the part that plays in the rich history of Navy Football. I also know how important it is for the program to have big "revenue" days where the team has the opportunity to sell out a venue and reap huge profits. Georgia Southern has had to do that every couple of years to help other less profitable athletic programs around the school.

That said do you ever see a point at which Navy will host the Notre Dame game in Annapolis? Navy has not played a true "home game" against Navy in more years than I can remember. When the game IS scheduled for a Navy Home game, it is moved to another venue in New York, New Jersey, or some other location where the Notre Dame fans, because the school is so popular, outnumber the Navy fans. I was 11 years old when Navy last beat Notre Dame. I remember, because that was the first collegiate football game that I ever watched. Navy has not beaten them since, and I NEVER, NEVER, NEVER want them to stop trying. That particular match up, to me represents all that this game embodies. As close as Navy has come in recent years to defeating Notre Dame, I just wonder what would happen if our team had the opportunity to play at HOME.

Again, I understand that this game means so very much to other sports at the Academy, but I honestly wish that our young men could "strap it up" every other home game at home, and give the players at least one opportunity in their career at Navy to play this game in Annapolis. Thank you for your time. - asked by: Bruce Walters -

A: Thanks, Bruce, for your support. Appreciate your encouragement and especially your appreciation for the football program and the great job Coach Johnson has done leading our team.

Regarding your question pertaining to Notre Dame, it really is not possible to play that game in a 34,000-seat stadium. Although your point regarding home-field advantage is well taken, we could clearly not accommodate the demand for a game against Notre Dame in a venue the size of Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium.

As you know, depending on where we play, the game is always sold out to whatever the capacity of the stadium. In some cases it's 70,000, and it has gone as high as 90,000 in the Meadowlands. The revenue from that contest is significant and not only allows us to pay a very significant guarantee to Notre Dame, but is also critical in meeting the fiscal requirements of our football program.

I appreciate the thought for all your good reasons and in many respects feel as you do. However, the business of Division I intercollegiate athletics simply dictates our continuing to play the game in a large professional venue.

Q: I read a recent commentary in the Capital stating the Navy/Air Force game belonged in Annapolis, not Washington, and commending you for making the change. I agree. We would not have gone to a game in DC, but we did attend the Navy/Air Force game two weeks ago. Even the rain did not diminish the excitement of the event. However, the traffic and crowds did. I realize Annapolis is not the same place it was when I was a Mid (you could walk any place in town in 10 minutes), but it is overwhelmed by the boat Show AND Navy Football. Would it be possible to arrange to have away games (or a game and an off week) during Boat Show weekends? Generally there are two away games during October, why not the Boat Show weekends?

A: Jerry, we make best efforts to try and schedule games around the Boat Shows. I realize it creates a tremendous amount of confusion. In some years it's impossible to do so, based on the home and away sequence or the availability of dates offered by opponents.

Television also plays a factor on occasion in terms of where and when games are scheduled. For the most part we try to look ahead and work around the conflict. However, this year was a season where we unfortunately had two home games in conflict.

As I look down the road, it happens periodically but in no year do we conflict on two consecutive Saturdays. We'll do our best to address the situation through either scheduling or logistics in conjunction with the City as the conflicts project out.

Q: What happened to the Patriot Bowl? I recall reading about the game that was supposed to be a season-opening game between a service Academy against a MAC team from Ohio in Cleveland. - asked by: Joe -

A: The Patriot Bowl seemed to die on the vine. There were some people in Cleveland who had some enthusiasm for it and, for whatever the reason, they just stopped pursuing the idea. I'm not sure if a new administration in Cleveland will regenerate a proposal, but in the meantime we're moving forward with our scheduling, and this is an issue that is not on the front burner.

Q: I'm a life-long Navy fan!!!! I live in Husker country so you'd be surprised how many people look at me when I say Navy is my favorite team! I was in the Navy for about a year and got out due to some medical problems and could [not ?] go to the Academy cause of my grades but love the Mids! GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY!!!!! - asked by: Robert Pfund -

A: The closest we've come to Nebraska has been Texas and Oklahoma. I had a call last year from the AD at Nebraska asking if we were interested in playing a football game. However, we had a full schedule and couldn't do it. We have some pretty significant games in the near future, which include Pittsburgh, Wake Forest, Washington, Stanford, Notre Dame, etc. Therefore, we're playing somewhat comparable competition; it's just a matter of finding a spot in a given year. Our philosophy which has contributed to our success is to play four games against teams where we'd be the underdog; four teams where we're even; and four teams where we should be the favorite. Balancing the schedule in this manner is what has kept us competitive, healthy, and going to Bowl Games. If I could replace one of the teams in our schedule with Nebraska where it'd make sense, we could play them. In the meantime, we're pretty well locked down.

Q: Regarding the football schedule for 2008, have you had any contact with Virginia Tech? With their large Corps of Cadets and proximity to Annapolis, it seems like a good fit. High profile game as well. Thanks, Chet. - asked by: Jim Bost -

A: Jim, as far as Virginia Tech's concerned, they certainly represent an awful lot of "fire power". However, our schedules are set through at least 2009, and as a result playing Tech is not in the cards at this point.

Q: An annual Navy-Maryland rivalry in football??? I think it's a great idea, provided that Navy continues to improve its ability to compete on the field with teams like Maryland and Notre Dame. Maryland talked about playing at FedEx Field...A VERY BAD IDEA!!!! I believe that the Ravens Stadium is the ideal venue and has a much friendlier atmosphere. It allows for after-game festivities and brings great revenue to the State of Maryland and Baltimore. If you decide to continue this rivalry...my vote is Baltimore, hands down!! - asked by: George Economides -

A: We all had a fine day when we played Maryland. It was a wonderful football game; very evenly matched. Just about a full house in Ravens Stadium; national television exposure and a tremendous buildup to the contest during game week. I've had some discussions with the Athletic Director at Maryland, and right now we're both considering another match up in the future. I don't believe there's anything that should preclude us from finding a date down the road.

Q: Let me cut to the chase...I'd like to see the USNA play the University of Utah in the future. What the heck, non-BCS -- yet winning program - Mountain West Conf - like New Mexico, Air Force, etc. - asked by: Captain Mike Taylor, USN -

A: I have respect for the University of Utah and appreciate their program very much. As it stands today, we've scheduled a game with Nevada from that area of the country. A game with Utah would work; it's just a matter of mutual scheduling opportunities and some interest on both parties. I'd certainly be glad to look into it and let's see if anything evolves.

- answered by: Chet Gladchuk

Q: According to the 2005 Media Guide, Navy has yet to complete the 2008 football schedule. If this is still correct, what are the possibilities of scheduling one or two of the following schools: Baylor, Texas A&M, Idaho, Maine, New Hampshire, VMI, Ohio University, Montana, or Michigan State? Thank you. - asked by: Erik D'Andrea -

A: We have completed the 2008 football schedule. In that year we have some significant opponents as it stands today; Wake Forest, Pittsburgh, Connecticut, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Duke, etc. They represent just one level of challenge, not to mention everyone else on the schedule is a tough opponent. Of the teams you list, we do have VMI on the schedule in the future, but the others are not on the slate today.

Q: Will Navy look into the possibility of scheduling any Florida schools in football in coming years? With Florida A&M making the jump to 1-A as of 2004, plus UCF and USF being established, those are three potential opponents in recruit-rich Florida which appear to be worth pursuing the possibility. - asked by: Dan Walker -

A: Thanks, Dan. We are always looking at possibilities such as that which you suggest.

Q: Why is the Notre Dame game in New Jersey instead of Baltimore or Landover? Is money more important than home field advantage and the remote possibility of winning? - asked by: John C. Rainey -

A: The game was scheduled a number of years ago.....we are (in 2004) fulfilling a long-term contractual obligation to the Meadowlands. 2006 and 2008 are in Baltimore.

P.S. Don't downplay the importance of revenue generation; we are a self-sustaining fiscal operation.....we need to pay coaches!

Q: This is not a question, but a suggestion or observation. I noticed that many of the home games with Notre Dame are played in the NYC area. I think it would be more of a home advantage if you played the games in Baltimore. The Inner Harbor is a wonderful environment and you would attract many locals to the games. I also agree with your decision to start playing Air Force in Annapolis and not at Fed Ex Field. You are doing a tremendous job and bring a lot to the region with the quality of players and teams that Navy is fielding. THANKS! - asked by: George Economides -

A: Thanks, George. Right now we have 2006 and 2008 versus Notre Dame scheduled in Baltimore. We think alike; thanks for the support.

Q: Why was the NC State football game dropped from the 2004 schedule? They now have an open date. - asked by: Al Barbero -

A: The reasons why we are not playing N.C. State in 2004 are as follows:

A.] $40M stadium renovation.....six home games versus five makes "renovation investment" sense.

B.] Home field advantage with spirit of Brigade and fan base versus an away game with 500 Navy fans in attendance.

C.] Six home games generate more revenue to meet program expenses including salary requirements of the staff...head coach...contract extensions...etc.

D.] Three home games in the first 4 contests helps us "get out of the blocks" with confidence (we were 4-1 at home last year). The year (2002) when N.C. State set us back (65-19) in the second game, we never recovered. We had a SMU win...then a N.C. State shell shocking and went down hill after that.

E.] In the future, we normally won't play more than 4 BCS opponents a season - more manageable schedule (realistic) and a better chance for a winning season.....the goal!

F.] Neither VMI or Delaware counted toward our use of an IAA for bowl eligibility in 2003. We did not need VMI because we had six IA wins...therefore, we still can use Northeastern next season (if we win) and/or possibly Delaware, toward a 6-win bowl eligible season (one of the two would count).

G.] Our schedule last year was rated one of the easiest in Division IA football. I think we were ranked 114 out of 117 teams. Regardless, bowl eligible Navy still went to the Houston Bowl. Your logic (re schedule strength, i.e., N.C. State) is not necessarily true.

Regardless of who we play, if bowl eligible, with over 20,000 Houston Bowl tickets sold by Navy fans, a competitive team showing versus Texas Tech, and an open bowl slot next season...a Northeastern win versus potentially a N.C. State lose is unquestionably to our favor. And even if we were to lose the game to Northeastern (i.e., Delaware this year), it is irrelevant to any bowl committee. All they want to see is 6-7-8, etc., wins and an eligible team.

H.] I (and Paul Johnson) like the Northeastern odds versus a bigger, stronger, faster, clearly favored Wolfpack on the road, early in the season during the formative phase of our team.

I.] Finally, keep in mind, our clearly established football program's goals are not necessarily ego driven (who we play), but rather a) a winning season; b) The Commander-in-Chief's Trophy; c) an occasional bowl game; and d) beat Notre Dame. That said, over the last three years, prior to our success in 2003, we went 3-30 and, including that, have only enjoyed two winning seasons in the last 18 years. This year the team had a chance to succeed. Eventually we will get back to Washington, Boston College, North Carolina State, etc., on a more regular basis, but today we are going to balance the strength of schedule in the near future, enjoy an 8-4 season with a bowl game, and as they say, watch our loyal but battered-for-years fans, "smell the roses." We hope to do it again.....this fall! Thanks for your question.

Q: I have never met or talked to a USNA football player who would rather play a 1AA team than play and lose to a team like Michigan. As a long-time fan, in excess of 45 years, I'm sorry that you feel that playing teams like Northeastern and Delaware enhances the Navy schedule. If all we want are wins, I'm sure that you could schedule Coast Guard or the Merchant Marine Academy also. Why do you feel this downgrading of a 1A schedule necessary? - asked by: CDR Richard Hattings -

A: Answer is simple - - - 8-5 and a Bowl Game in Houston beats 5-8 and shoveling snow off of the sidewalk in Annapolis. A balanced schedule is a smart schedule. With only eight winning seasons in the last 40 years, a little success feels good! Savor the moment.

Q: I would like to know if there are any plans to schedule some away games on the west coast. San Diego State or UCLA would be great for recruiting in Southern California and there are plenty of Alumni in the area to fill the stands. - asked by: John Peterson -

A: 2007 at Stanford; 2008 at California Berkeley. See you at the games!

Q: Is there any consideration of having one of the Naval Academy football games in San Diego? With the strong military presence (Navy and Marine Corps) in the San Diego area, I believe that it would be a great success! As I look at the future schedules, I see that there has not yet been a site determined for the 2006 Navy versus Notre Dame game. There is very little doubt in my mind that a game of that magnitude would sell out and provide a very patriotic setting. I am willing to donate my time to look into the possibility, should you need any assistance. Thank you for your time! - asked by: Mike Sommers -

A: Hi, Mike. We play on the West Coast in 2007 and 2008 at Stanford and Cal/Berkeley. San Diego is a real possibility after that. Stay tuned.

Q: I know that about a year or two ago, alumni and fans were probably begging for a less competitive football schedule with more IAA teams. However, in light of the team's recent success, scheduling multiple IAA teams could be a detriment in trying to become bowl eligible. As you know, the team will have to go 6-3 in its games against IA competition in 2004. How difficult is it to strike a balance between developing a competitive schedule while at the same time, giving the team a realistic shot at winning six IA games? What traits do you look for in teams that you wish to schedule? Thank you for your time and keep up the good work! - asked by: Joe Menning -

A: Right now, Joe, we believe it's important to win football games. A lot of our alumni would like to see us flex our muscles and take on some of the stronger programs in the country. However, I believe strongly that last year's season was long overdue. Into the future, we'll undoubtedly schedule at least one IAA opponent followed by the traditional rivals that you normally see, that being Air Force, Army, and Notre Dame. After that we'll balance with three or four, what we call BCS-type teams that will give the schedule some credibility and interest. Keep in mind the most important target is a winning season and, hopefully, a post-season reward for the Midshipmen. With so few winning seasons over the last 40 years or so, I really think consistency of winning is the key to solidifying the foundation of this program. Therefore, carefully scheduling in a balanced way that gives us a chance to win every Saturday.

Q: As a parent of a Mid '06, was wondering if there was any chance of keeping the University of Delaware on the schedule past the 2004 season?? The recent game's attendance proved the popularity of this match-up. - asked by: David Collins -

A: We have one more contest in 2004 versus Delaware, and we're looking at extending the series at this time. I would expect that we'll keep Delaware on the schedule as often as we can.

Q: Why does Navy continue to schedule Notre Dame in football when Navy has not won a gave against ND for 40 years? Navy has come close but still no cigar. - asked by: Bob deHoll -

A: The Notre Dame-Navy series is the longest intersectional rivalry in college football. I don't believe that Navy would ever consider dropping that contest. We have a wonderful relationship with the institution. It brings national exposure to the program, and it seems every year it's a real great, down-to-the-last-minute contest.

Regardless of wins or losses, it's always a pleasure to be association with that fine institution, and it makes for a real exciting opportunity for our midshipmen to compete at a very high national level.

Q: Will Navy start scheduling one or two night games starting next year? It would be advantageous in the early part of the year to play a game at night. I also saw where there was one home team that wore white jerseys this past weekend? I recall there was an NCAA rule against that. If not, then Navy should go to a white jersey at home in the early heat. If not, then we should come up with al alternative gold jersey like Purdue or Georgia Tech.

By the way, Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium looks awesome! It really should make all Navy fans proud and cannot help but be a big recruiting enhancement as years go by! Lastly, how about we have a game versus Notre Dame at NMCM Stadium at night. I am sure there could be some way to get 6,000 temporary seats to get capacity to 40,000, and get the Irish on "our turf"! They (ND) always go to play at Boston College and they get about 43,000 at that game, so why not make the offer? Oh, yes - where the heck is the Nike Navy merchandise? I want a football jersey so bad and cannot locate one, and also a new hat, but as in the past, Navy merchandise is nowhere to be found. I thought Nike was going to change that? - asked by: Gary Boyce -

A: Gary, thanks for all the great questions. We do plan on playing the opener this fall in the evening at 6:00 pm. Last year's home opener was brutally hot and for the safety of our student-athletes and fans we are going to go in the evening. We plan on playing the rest of our home games at 1:30 pm.

As far as the white jerseys, the visiting team has to agree to let us wear white jerseys at home. Not sure why anyone would let you do it if the weather is going to be hot. It's definitely an advantage to be in white uniforms under the conditions you mention.

I appreciate the comments about the stadium. It is now a stadium that everyone can be proud of. At this point, we are planning on playing the Notre Dame game at neutral sites CLOSE to Annapolis. This year's game is at Giant's Stadium, and we hope to keep the future games closer to our loyal fan base.

You can buy NIKE Navy merchandise at www.navygear.com or on the "Peppers" Website. They are our downtown distributors of Nike apparel. We appreciate your loyal support.

Q: I am a huge Navy football fan. I spent 6 years in the Navy on active duty and am looking to get back into the reserves. Right now I live in Nebraska, and I was just wondering is the football team going to play any games against any schools around the Nebraska area? I know that they play at Notre Dame every-other year, but if they could possibly have one scheduled closer to my home state, that would be great! It would be really cool if Navy could play Nebraska in a home- and-home or something like that. What would have to happen for something like this to occur? Thank you for your time. - asked by: Jerry Jones -

A: Right now we do not have any games scheduled against Nebraska or any teams in that area. Most of our contests are scheduled with teams either in the eastern region, Texas, or on occasion will travel to the West Coast. We do, however, have one contest this year in Tulsa, Oklahoma, which brings us somewhat into your neck of the woods.

Q: What are the chances of putting Syracuse back on the Navy football schedule? - asked by: Mike Koutsourades -

A: Right now, Mike, we don't have Syracuse on the schedule. But being a former Orangemen myself, it'd be a great game and a lot of fun to reinitiate a home-and-home series. I'll talk to my buddy Jake Crouthamel, the AD, to see if this could be a possibility in the not too distant future.

Q: I understand Navy will be up in the northeast versus UConn and BC over the next few years. How do I go about getting tickets for those games? I am a member of NAAA - will that make me eligible? Thanks in advance. Semper Fi, - asked by: Jim McCabe -

A: Jim, it's very easy to secure tickets. We have a Web site which is www.navysports.com. You can call the Ticket Office at 1-800-US4-NAVY, or I would imagine that you could simply walk up at the gate and purchase a ticket at game time. The best bet, however, would be to secure those tickets in advance by calling our Ticket Office and placing an order.

Q: The idea of playing a more realistic football schedule remains a top priority at present. Perhaps over the next several years Navy could schedule 1AA teams such as Fordham, Duquesne, Maine, New Hampshire, and Georgetown. As far as 1A squads, is there ANY chance that Michigan State could show up on a future schedule? - asked by: Erik D'Andrea -

A: Erik, there's always a chance Michigan State could show up on the schedule. However, some of the other teams you mentioned, such as Fordham, Duquesne and Georgetown, are actually not even Division IAA scholarship programs. You'll note that Maine beat Mississippi State and New Hampshire beat Rutgers this year. Both Maine and New Hampshire are IAA programs so, therefore, they're very competitive. Over the years we've played Delaware, VMI, Massachusetts, Richmond and William & Mary, all similar IAA opponents. We like to balance the schedule with at least four tough opponents; four that we are clearly competitive with and could beat; and three that we feel confident we will beat. A balanced schedule gives us a chance to enjoy a winning season. That is what we're trying to accomplish.

- answered by: Chet Gladchuk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:05 pm 
try this:

http://navysports.collegesports.com/ot/ask-the-ad-footbl-scheduling.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:52 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Lots of room in the Army schedule in 2007 and 2008 and certainly after 2008.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/future_schedules/army_future.htm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:36 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
As you know, depending on where we play, the game is always sold out to whatever the capacity of the stadium. In some cases it's 70,000, and it has gone as high as 90,000 in the Meadowlands. The revenue from that contest is significant and not only allows us to pay a very significant guarantee to Notre Dame, but is also critical in meeting the fiscal requirements of our football program.

I appreciate the thought for all your good reasons and in many respects feel as you do. However, the business of Division I intercollegiate athletics simply dictates our continuing to play the game in a large professional venue.

I am curious about this statement. I know there is a storied history between scheduling Navy and ND which dates back to WWII (I think?). ND fans ALWAYS point this out and that is one of the reasons why they ALWAYS schedule Navy.

However, the cynic in me has one question/comment. The AD says that by playing the game in a large (ie 60-90k) seat stadium that Navy makes a lot of money. I can understand that.

However, he also states that it allows Navy to pay a 'significant' guarentee to ND. Unfortunately, We don't know what that number is. Perhaps, NDs reason to continue to schedule Navy isn't so 'idealistic' or 'historical'? I wonder if Navy did not pay as high a guarentee would ND continue to play them?

Thoughts?

Last edited by panthersc97 on Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:14 pm 
Senior
Senior

News just out today. Navy has signed on to the Meinkee Bowl as an alternative to the BE #3 to give this bowl more choices. The past Navy ticket sales at recent bowls is one of the factors for this bowl to go after Navy as an alternative. Is Navy the fall surprise announcement for the BE. Or is this just another option for Navy to stay independent. Where is Nova when the BE needs them. Why don't they sacrifice their 3 OOC conference games to the BE for the good of the BE, to keep the BE together as is. If Navy is out - CUSA here we come again for at least FB only. ECU or UCF. Memphis only wants an all sports invite. Besides if the BE won't give an all sports invite, then Memphis has only to wait and see if some of the anchor schools go to 14 teams. They are regionally set for the Big 12 North or the SEC West.