NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:55 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1038 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:59 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
The ACC should have taken either BC and Syracuse (my preference and the original intention) - or Va Tech and West Va. I know the Gov of Va put the pressure on, but it's too bad both BC and Syracuse were left without a natural rival.

At the time after the Miami & VPI defections, I thought WVU would be a natural in terms of conference rivalries with Md., UVA, VPI; and games vs the likes of Clemson, NC State & GT would look good too. But BC had all what the ACC wanted, apparently, with the exception of the distance factor (as opposed to actually liking the desirable location). And, the work had already been done for the BC transition. Syracuse was ultimately the "left out" school in the political positioning.

If I had the fantasy power of dictator at the time; I would have said, "OK ACC, you got Miami and VPI, they are best for your turf", but as a penalty for the unbecoming raid, but allowing you to have that northeastern, urban footprint, you also must take............Temple! ;D; You decline that, talk to Navy!"

Let's hope in the future, the ACC will offer BC better bowl shots...
The ACC still has their State of North Carolina decision makers ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:34 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
SU-UConn:
I'm not sure if SU will ever see UConn as a rival in FB. The other FB schools that have a long history with SU (Pitt and WVu) just don't see SU as their rival and would consider SU maybe 4th in their list. This is why BC was a natural rival for SU because of their history, both were privates, and the lack of any closer 'rivals' for them (RU was terrible, Army hasn't been good in a while, and UConn wasn't 1A).

SU already sees UConn as a rival in basketball. UConn is the top basketball program in the Big East & SU is #2. It used to be that the big basketball rivalry in the Big East was Syracuse - Georgetown, but Georgetown declined & UConn emerged.

If SU & UConn are battling each other for football championships in the Big East the way they have been in basketball, there will certainly be a rivalry. Travel is relatively easy between the too, so why not?

You're correct about the lack of history between the two, but as you point out Army has history - past national champs - but their history is no longer relevant. Times change. New history is being written all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:37 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:

Quote:
The ACC should have taken either BC and Syracuse (my preference and the original intention) - or Va Tech and West Va. I know the Gov of Va put the pressure on, but it's too bad both BC and Syracuse were left without a natural rival.

At the time after the Miami & VPI defections, I thought WVU would be a natural in terms of conference rivalries with Md., UVA, VPI; and games vs the likes of Clemson, NC State & GT would look good too. But BC had all what the ACC wanted, apparently, with the exception of the distance factor (as opposed to actually liking the desirable location). And, the work had already been done for the BC transition. Syracuse was ultimately the "left out" school in the political positioning.

If I had the fantasy power of dictator at the time; I would have said, "OK ACC, you got Miami and VPI, they are best for your turf", but as a penalty for the unbecoming raid, but allowing you to have that northeastern, urban footprint, you also must take............Temple! ;D; You decline that, talk to Navy!"

Let's hope in the future, the ACC will offer BC better bowl shots...
The ACC still has their State of North Carolina decision makers ;)

A couple of interesting footnotes to this discussion:

1. Miami had lobbied heavily for BC.

2. The distance between BC & Maryland is about the same as the distance between Miami & Florida State.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:42 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

With FSU & Miami being in the same state, its a regional thing, with most of the ACC still being much closer than most of the BE members. Noted are Miami's student body and alumni, much of whom originate or dwell from the northeast.
Certainly Miami had a strong influencing factor and exhibited political assertiveness. Will the Big East produce another one in the near future: maybe a bold, record-producing, and dominant Rutgers being courted elsewhere? :o

The Mountain West? Umhhh, that WAC, as time goes on, looks more and more like an equal partner.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:49 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Air Force FB coach talks about the possibility of going independent like Navy, Army, and ND.

http://www.kktv.com/sports/headlines/10903021.html

Air Force is the only service academy currently affiliated with a conference. They've been a member of the Mountain West since its inception in 1999, but at Tuesday's weekly press conference, head coach Troy Calhoun laid out other possibilities.

Calhoun indicated that Air Force should look at the possibility of leaving the Mountain West and becoming an independent. Calhoun says schools like Army, Navy, and Notre Dame have a freedom that conference teams don't have. They can schedule all of their own games and can lock up a bowl bid before the season even starts.

The Mountain West tells 11 News that teams in the Mountain West are members at will, meaning they can choose to leave at anytime. However, if one team goes, they all must go, meaning the football team can't leave the Mountain West without the rest of the schools sports going as well.

Air Force Athletic Director, Hans Mueh had the following statement on the issue:

"We have no intent of interest in leaving the Mountain West Conference. It's been a great association for us and given us opportunities we would never had had without being a member. The benefits from being in the conference go beyond just athletics."

"I think coach Troy Calhoun's comments today come out of concern for his team being bowl-eligible and the possibility of not having an opportunity to participate in a post-season bowl game. He is so passionate about this program and its players that he wants what is best for them. It's that passion and commitment that attracted us to him."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:55 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Sounds like the AD had to spring into action to muzzle his coach.

It's got to be a bit frustrating to coach a service academy, since the 4-year service commitment scares off a lot of potential recruits. So the service academies are not on a level playing field with the other Div I (FBS) schools in terms of recruiting.

In most FBS conferences, this disadvantage COULD drive you to be a perennial cellar dwellar. Army sure had their problems in C-USA, and Army and Navy chose the independence route, so they could schedule some games that they feel they have a decent chance of winning....

So the Air Force coach looks at that and thinks "maybe that's the way to go". The one difference for USAFA is geography. Don't know what their travel budget is, but there are certainly fewer DI-FBS teams out west.

Right now Air Force schedules the other 8 Mountain West opponents, the other 2 service academies, and so it has only 2 other "open games". Notre Dame is a frequent opponent. Most years Notre Dame fields a much stronger squad. I think the Air force coach would just like to have a decent shot at winning approx. 6 games YEAR IN / YEAR OUT (not just when he has a banner recruiting period).

However, the AD is the one in charge of scheduling, and the AD and the college president (or whatever the main dude at a service academy is titled) make the call on conference affiliation (or lack thereof).

So the coach would appear to have over-stepped his bounds when opening his mouth, and the MWC (9 schools, and not excited about the prospect of losing a member) cerrtainly would not like to hear about a member contemplating other options. And suddenly the AD is forced into damage control.

The key point is: Were USAFA to take it's football program independent, the MWC
would demand that they withdraw completely from the conference, and that has a LOT of implications beyond the football program. Army and Navy have a nice home for their other sports in the Patriot League. What would USAFA do with their other sports ? A brief glance at the Div I landscape shows that there are relatively FEW OPTIONS out in the Rocky Mountain region. Cast in point - Denver is geographically isolated in the Sun Belt, since Idaho, Utah State, and New Mexico State jumped to the WAC. Denver is trying to find a new conference home out west, yet they are not finding any takers right away, partly because they have no football program to offer. Air Force (with the football program independent) might find themselves in the same situation.....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:44 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

While unlikely, you'd have to think that if the NCAA ever forced conferences to expand to 12 in order to remain in the BCS, that the PAC-10 would at least consider Air Force. I know they are at the bottom of the list, but worth a look solely for academic purposes. Again, a real stretch.

and you have to think that the WCC would be a step down for Air Force non-football sports as well.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:32 am 
All-Star
All-Star

There are "crazy talk" whispers among the BYU faithful contemplating leaving the Mountain West due to the TV contract situation. The BYU AD would clearly fall in line with what the Air Force AD did, mind you... but the TV situation is enough of a sore point that BYU is probably looking at ways to either bypass the contract or claim a breach.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:04 am 
Senior
Senior

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,5143,695211866,00.html

http://www.fanblogs.com/boise_state/007147.php

http://www.fanblogs.com/boise_state/007162.php

Though from last September, perspectives on Boise State and pondering MWC expansion.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:56 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

People have so many amazing views about what conferences will do, or even can do.

The e-mail posted on another thread here regarding Tom Hansen's response to a BYU fan says EVERYTHING you need to know. It's about the money. If you expand for the sake of expansion (using the Pac-10 as the example), then the citizens of four states will throw you into a lake for potentially costing THEM money. Virtually every scenario where a smaller market Pac-10 expansion is involved does exactly that... at least for the time being. If Boise State gained Notre Dame-like stature and ratings, things change.

The Mountain West... what are their realistic options? Hawaii doesn't change much IMO, nor Boise. Fresno's in the middle of 5 million people in what is already Pac-10 country, but I think they deliver enough of their potential market to add value to a contract... their past vastly accumulated baggage is the prime issue. Does Tulsa complement TCU? Does anyone else here think anyone else ADDS VALUE?

What happens with the next TV contract? I'm willing to bet they lose value from it. I think CSTV overpaid, and they probably know it. That, to me, is a more interesting question... it would be more pressing if the end of the contract wasn't 5 years off.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:08 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The BCS announced the 6 "autobid" conferences for the next four year period this week.This was mentioned in an article by Steve Weiberg from USAToday which I previously posted in the BCS articles section.
Interestingly,there is a discussion on the MWC board as to whether further MWC expansion beyond 9 schools would help that conference gain an BCS autobid.Link at http://www.mwcboard.com/www/forums/index.php?showtopic=12622&st=0

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:13 am 
Freshman
Freshman

I think Fresno State really is the answer. They deliver a healthy chunk of a (for a WAC school) market close to the PAC Ten. They provide the MWC more access to the rich recruiting/exposure of California. Also, Fresno State already has a healthy rivalry with San Diego State. The school already has MWC level facilites and an athletic budget which is more than most MWC schools.

I think outside of Fresno, I would look for a school close to TCU. Of the former SWC schools now in C-USA, I think Houston is the cream of the crop. The school has no immediate FBS [sans rice]competition, is absolutley huge, and has had great success in C-USA since its restruturing. I think the fan support needs some improvement, but the bad football support can be somewhat attributed to Houston's location in a NFL killzone.

Other than Houston, SMU may look really good a few years down the road. The school has a similar makeup to TCU, but is really loaded with money from Alumni. I think the hiring of June Jones is proof SMU has the cash to be a powerhouse in non-AQ FBS. I don't think they'll return to 80's form, though.

Other than that? I think Boise really loses it luster over the next few years. UTEP brings a solid academic program, North Texas has loads of potential and brings a huge alumni base, UNR has a great basketball program, but the market and football attendance leave something to be desired. I think the MWC would be best to add one school and wait and see how the next few years turn out.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:59 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St, Houston or UTEP, and Boise St. That's it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:43 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The topic of possible MWC expansion to obtain a BCS autobid has been previously discussed on this thread.
Given the good performances by top MWC and WAC schools so far this year that topic will probably continue to be addressed.
Here is discussion of that subject on BYU MB at http://www2.cougarboard.com/nologin/message.html?id=4046627

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:08 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article discussing possibility of MWC expanding to obtain BCS autobid at http://www.fanblogs.com/bcs_poll/007779.php

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1038 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next