NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:31 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1038 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:29 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

No MAC team will get into the BCS bowls. Not enough fan support or travelers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:15 am 
All-Star
All-Star

davids wrote:
That is bull on your part. I would be more excited to see Ball State into a BCS bowl than I would see very sorry teams in the Big East, ACC, PAC 10 and the Big 10.

John Q public doesn't agree with you. The Sugar and Fiesta bowls had their worst TV ratings when their was a non-BCS team in the game.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:54 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Bronco country discussing possible ways for BSU to avoid another BCS snub to include joining the MWC at http://www.tri-cityherald.com/1412/story/399044.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:09 am 
All-Star
All-Star

As the article stated, Boise State has been courting the MWC for several years now (since at least the chaos of 2003). They have been very overt about it, almost to the irritation of their WAC brethren. At this point, the ball is in the court of the MWC, not Boise State....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:01 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79,thanks for the post.
Yes,a MWC invite to BSU is pretty much up to the MWC if they can come up with enough presidential votes on a reasonable financial offer.This is one of the rubs because the MWC tv deal has some glitches that probably need to be fixed somewhere down the line.
Also,the current BCS non-BCS conference autobid scheme demands perfection.Will another powerful MWC school help or hurt at THIS juncture?

It would probably be in the best interests of BSU to meet TCU or BYU in a Bowl game this post season and WIN,Win,Win.

This is an interesting story that could get more interesting next June(MWC President's meeting) if the economic climate and other issues improve a little.

However,it is more likely that MWC expansion will be "a can that gets kicked down the road".
Time will tell because it always does.

Thanks
Freaked

Last edited by freaked4collegefb on Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:39 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Well, since it seems my MD Terps are headed to Boise to play on the "Blue Tundra", I guess I'll watch. Maybe there will be some discussion of the BSU - MWC situation.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:28 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Freaked -

I agree with you...

Is it even rational for the MWC to expand with Boise State ?

Let's think about it... it would only make some financial sense if it meant a guarantee of an automatic BCS berth for the conference champ (and the associated $$$ - curently $17+ million to be split among the conference members, the number is certainly due to rise withe new ESPN-BCS contract).

Failing a BCS guarantee, you've just made it THAT MUCH HARDER for a conference member to go undefeated / un-tied and get a BCS at-large. For example.... this year assume Utah gets the only BCS at-large slot made available to a non BCS-conference team. By adding Boise State, suddenly the MWC has dramtically incresed the likelihood of "fratracide", where the top MWC teams deal each other at least one loss.

Suddenly, the expansion has the effect of the MWC shooting itself in the foot (no Plaxico Burress reference intended....).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:43 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79,thanks for the post.Is the question of whether a conference possibly having too many good teams for it's BCS health another example of what's wrong with the BCS?That is a question that the BCS and the MWC will need to wrestle with.

The other side of the coin is whether BSU truly would be a MWC power.That question has been raised by Craig Thompson.BSU and TCU may well meet in the Poinsettia Bowl this year to help settle that particular issue.Article from Bronco country that discusses whether a BSU win over TCU could help get a MWC bid for BSU.Link at http://www.tri-cityherald.com/1412/story/405208.html

Last edited by freaked4collegefb on Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:15 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Followup to last post with article out of Bronco country with comments from President Kustra regarding the Poinsettia bowl and possible MWC expansion. He says he has spoken to several MWC officials and school presidents regarding a possible future MWC invite to BSU.He says he was told that they,"feel like they're knocking right on the BCS door and we might be able to join them and kick the door right down".Link to blog article(scroll down) at http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2008/1 ... coach_pete

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:02 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I think there is a way BSU gets in without it guaranteeing a BCS bid... which it won't, BTW.

It's a mathematical solution, naturally. We are talking colleges here.

If "per school TV revenue with Boise State" > "Per school TV revenue without Boise State", then there will be an expansion with BSU. Your local Decision Science department may not put good odds on that one. That's why I still like Fresno's chances better than Boise's.

The funny thing is that this might happen when TV revenues fall. I can't see CBS College or Versus or anyone paying the same amount the Mountain West gets in their current contract. Of course, I still can't wrap my mind around the MWC getting THAT contract. I'm guessing the amount will drop. Boise State might have more impact on that contract... depending on what they do next. Last night didn't help. Anyway, nothing happens before the end of the current TV contract IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:38 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Another blog article suggesting that the MWC should expand at the expense of the WAC and get a BCS autobid at http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9756 ... ng-the-wac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:48 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Opinion piece(posted in another thread) out of San Diego suggesting that SDSU drop FB because of the cost and join the Big West.(Not sure if this would happen short of California economy dropping into the Pacific.)But if it did happen,I would feel sorry for the SDSU Fb fans but happy for the replacement school.Hello, Boise State and BCS autobid?Link at http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/ ... o-headline

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:26 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

[quote="freaked4collegefb"]Another blog article suggesting that the MWC should expand at the expense of the WAC and get a BCS autobid at http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9756 ... ng-the-wac[/quote

Seems like the talk increases each year about this. The WAC would be in a jam with only the Sunbelt and CUSA to look at. Could be a trigger for the CUSA east/west split we've heard so much about if the MWC ever made a move as such.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:52 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Response(previously posted on another thread) from SDSU Prexy to previously posted article suggesting that SDSU drop their FB program and move to the Big West Conference. Link at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28471687

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:58 am 
All-Star
All-Star

MWC commish says 'no' to Boise State

http://www.2news.tv/sports/38250319.html

By Troy Oppie

SALT LAKE CITY - Mountain West Conference commissioner Craig Thompson said in an interview with Salt Lake CBS affiliate KUTV that Boise State was not being considered as an addition to the MW conference.

Thompson was asked directly if the conference wanted to add Boise State and responded, "We've talked about it as a league, but right now we're in a good position to do what we need to do: play quality competition, beat quality competition and win BCS bowl games. The Mountain West via the University of Utah arguably is 2-0 and has the highest BCS winning percentage in BCS history. I don't think it's the pressing issue in the league because right now, we have proven with nine institutions [that] what we're doing is the right thing."

The Mountain West was ranked 7th-best at the end of the 2008 season by the Jeff Saragin computer rankings. Saragin rankings are a component of the BCS-rankings system.

Other computer rankings put the Mountain West Conference as high as 5th-best in the nation.

Those numbers are likely a confidance booster for the Mountain West, showing that it is strong enough as-is to send a team to the BCS every year.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1038 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next