NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:36 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:28 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

UTPA was kicked out after 1998 for major violations like Chicago St. and the Mid-Con.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:35 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
UTPA was kicked out after 1998 for major violations like Chicago St. and the Mid-Con.

Chicago St. left the Mid-con on their own...they weren't forced out.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:38 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

really, I thought they were told to leave. I remember reading about them leaving the Mid-Con on here first. UTPA was kicked out or asked to leave as far as I know.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:26 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Here ya go from April 2006:
http://news.collegesportsinfo.com/2006/ ... nt_20.html

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:16 am 
All-Star
All-Star

wow what a dumb move, the Chicago St. president should have been fired over that. GWC with no auto-bid over the Summit? WTF.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

There was more to the story than this.

Chicago State was about to get whacked hard for NCAA violations in multiple sports, and there were probably a lot of discussions about this behind the scenes (among the other 7 conference member schools).

IPFW, North Dakota State, and South Dakota State were all lined up as expansion candidates, so if Chicago State left (and the Summit [referred to as the Mid-Continent Conference at that time] were temporarily down to 7), they were in position to expand to 10 with these three schools in short order (which they did).

I'm fairly certain that no AD / President would voluntarily take their school independent, but it was arrranged that the Press Release would state this (without explanation) to allow the Chicago State administration to "save face".
I have to believe the other schools were about to use the NCAA violations as a reason to boot Chicago State out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:21 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Blog article discussing blurb in Reno paper with comments from WAC Commish regarding the possibility that the WAC may add a BB only school to help with travel costs.Link (scroll down)at http://parsingthewac.blogspot.com/2009/ ... ction.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:24 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

WAC MB thread discussing the above article regarding possible WAC expansion to 10 teams.Link at http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2368&t=4079547

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:38 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

freaked4collegefb wrote:
WAC MB thread discussing the above article regarding possible WAC expansion to 10 teams.Link at http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2368&t=4079547

Check out the last post on that thread!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:57 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Check out the last post on that thread![/quote]

Seems like a pretty smart guy! :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:58 pm 
Senior
Senior

tute79 wrote:
There was more to the story than this.

Chicago State was about to get whacked hard for NCAA violations in multiple sports, and there were probably a lot of discussions about this behind the scenes (among the other 7 conference member schools).

IPFW, North Dakota State, and South Dakota State were all lined up as expansion candidates, so if Chicago State left (and the Summit [referred to as the Mid-Continent Conference at that time] were temporarily down to 7), they were in position to expand to 10 with these three schools in short order (which they did).

I'm fairly certain that no AD / President would voluntarily take their school independent, but it was arrranged that the Press Release would state this (without explanation) to allow the Chicago State administration to "save face".
I have to believe the other schools were about to use the NCAA violations as a reason to boot Chicago State out.

Totally right Tute, I was at IUPUI at the time and the Mid-Con caught ChiState with some serious violations, especially in Women's Hoops (unfortunately I can't find anything online from those reports). There was never anything on record as to the Mid-Con schools talking about the possibility of removing them from the conference, but as you said, I'm sure there was discussions. At the time Chicago State made the announcement, there wasn't any discussion over the Dakota States as a replacement. This was caused by Valparaiso leaving for the Horizon, which left the MCC (now Summit) at 7 schools, prompting them to look at expanding. Looking back, I'm sure IUPUI was against IPFW joining, otherwise they would have been there already to even the league out. Also, as the Great West FB league was administered by the Summit at the time, had the Dakota States been an option at that point, the league might have stipulated that they stayed in there for football, as adding the Dakotas would eventually make that a 7-league team able to earn an autobid into the I-AA tournament.

What I'm not sure of is how Chicago State avoided NCAA sanctions, which does lead me to believe it was Mid-Con officials who investigated the program... however that's speculation on my part, I just know that they were in some serious trouble which caused them to go independent.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:10 am 
Senior
Senior

Some of those choices on that Scout WAC board were pretty amusing... Weber State? I'm not trying to knock the Wildcats, but I seriously don't think they're ready to add some sports and go I-A. As it goes, I think Denver and Seattle are the main choices. I doubt UALR would be interested in leaving the Sun Belt to go West, and I doubt Pacific is that anxious to get out of the Big West.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:02 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article with discussion of Utah State Athletic department's financial situation.A no vote by USU students for a possible athletics fee increase on 23-24 March "may"put department in some type of budget jeopardy.Link at http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2009/03/16/4060410.htm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:20 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I'll say this again- Gonzaga LOVES the WCC. As is.

8 teams, minimum for the automatic bid, similar in philosophy... and maximizes Gonzaga's out-of-conference opportunities. They are not jumping to (or causing) a conference with any more than 8 teams. It's that simple.

Someday, they'll suck again, and by then, the WAC wouldn't want them anyway.

Seattle U has Elgin Baylor, an actual hint of basketball history, and they seem to have a wee bit of grease behind this latest effort. It's also in a prime basketball talent region at the moment (Brandon Roy comes to mind immediately, the numbers they send out of state are quite impressive).

Still, the WAC has to have the will to pull this off and do something with it. I'm not going to sound the "nothing to see here" alarm, but the temptation exists.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:17 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Even if Gonzaga doesn't want expansion, who says the other 7 members don't. If I'm the others I want Seattle. Anything that would disrupt their recruiting a little.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next