NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:37 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:29 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Right on with Seattle. I wonder if the addition of Seattle would help their next TV contract.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:43 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Even if Gonzaga doesn't want expansion, who says the other 7 members don't. If I'm the others I want Seattle. Anything that would disrupt their recruiting a little.

That's when Gonzaga threatens to leave. If they're going to be in a 10-teamer, may as well be the WAC. The rest of the conference will not leak in those Wheaties. Pacific and Seattle do not (for now) trump Gonzaga.

If soccer becomes a huge moneymaker for the conference (as opposed to moderately OK), then the WCC could send Gonzaga off. Not likely, just about the only way I can envision a turn in this tale.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:52 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Wire story out of Utah discussing USU Athletic Department's "financial crisis" and the upcoming student athletic fee increase vote.Link at http://www.localnews8.com/Global/story. ... enu554_2_3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:45 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Pounder if the WAC stays how it is or expands it will probably be with a school that has football, they can't afford a non-fb school if the MWC raids them. Even if the commish says different. Also the Big Sky has a rule that you must have football. So if Gonzaga says we'll leave I'd say, go then. Have fun in the Big West, which Gonzaga won't join even if the WCC expanded.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:02 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article reporting that the USU students voted to increase their athletic fees.This should help USU to stay in the WAC.Link at http://www.standard.net/live/news/167947

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:10 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Pounder if the WAC stays how it is or expands it will probably be with a school that has football, they can't afford a non-fb school if the MWC raids them. Even if the commish says different. Also the Big Sky has a rule that you must have football. So if Gonzaga says we'll leave I'd say, go then. Have fun in the Big West, which Gonzaga won't join even if the WCC expanded.

Who's to say the MWC wouldn't take Gonzaga if they threatened to leave? That would DEFINITELY up their profile even more.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:12 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

They'd take Boise St. over Gonzaga. Gonzaga does nothing to help give them a BCS birth.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:02 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

bronco85 wrote:
finiteman wrote:
Check out the last post on that thread!

Seems like a pretty smart guy! :D

He may be pretty danged smart... :) I'll certainly give him his credit if it turns out he has discovered the expansion canddidate and not just some guy's typo.

Scout.com has gone a little flaky...If you didn't get a chance to see it, here is what was posted:

"When the NABC came out with there all district team I went to see how the districts came out to be. If you scroll to the bottom of the page you see who will be added to the WAC as soon as next year: Utah valley.

http://nabc.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s ... ctRealignm

btw I don't know why it says that, I hope it a misprint cause the team is rated by sagarin 194, same as the bottom tier of the conference.It would not benefit the conference. "

NABC = National Association of Basketball Coaches

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:40 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quinn wrote:
Right on with Seattle. I wonder if the addition of Seattle would help their next TV contract.

I am warming on the possibility of Seattle. It is more convenient than say Denver while bringing in similar TV impact --- Denver is the 18th DMA, seattle is the 14th DMA. Seattle lost the Supersonics, so there are a lot of trained basketball game attendees out there for grab and it isn't in an NBA killzone like Denver. I think this could very well be the school the WAC is considering. It screams short term add --- before the NBA puts another team in Seattle. It would work very well for Seattle, allowing them to really push their team to present it to the WCC.

That would also make a lot of sense why Seattle has put off accepting GW membership.

I am posting in the wikipedia WAC MAP to help people envision travel partners.

based off the conference bb schedules the current travel partners appear to be:
NMSU/LA Tech
SJSU/UH
UI/BSU
with the last three in flux a good bit.

Now if you added Seattle it could be:
NMSU/LA Tech
SJSU/UH
USU/BSU
FS/UNR
UI/Seattle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:28 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
They'd take Boise St. over Gonzaga. Gonzaga does nothing to help give them a BCS birth.

Gonzaga increases the tourney credits for the Mountain West. That's a more likely money-raiser than hanging for BCS. BTW, it's still not likely until the MWC can unhinge themselves from their current TV contract.

Boise State doesn't guarantee the MWC a BCS berth. USC does, but USC already has the schools they want on their coattails. (Obvioulsy, I'm ignoring the ridiculous nature of the argument at this point) What guarantees the MWC a berth is probably a localized nuclear conflict, or maybe the discovery of a massive oil deposit under the Great Salt Lake. Money talks, otherwise the BCS will continue to shift the boundaries to protect what the big schools want protected.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:12 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Articles out of Reno discussing financial problems for Nevada and other WAC school athletic departments at http://www.rgj.com/article/20090419/NEWS/904190346/1321

and at http://www.rgj.com/article/20090419/NEWS/904190359/1321

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:35 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

MWC MB thread discussing current state of WAC schools athletic department budgets at http://www.mwcboard.com/www/forums/inde ... opic=17848

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:38 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

finiteman wrote:
Quinn wrote:

I am warming on the possibility of Seattle. It is more convenient than say Denver while bringing in similar TV impact --- Denver is the 18th DMA, seattle is the 14th DMA. Seattle lost the Supersonics, so there are a lot of trained basketball game attendees out there for grab and it isn't in an NBA killzone like Denver. I think this could very well be the school the WAC is considering. It screams short term add --- before the NBA puts another team in Seattle. It would work very well for Seattle, allowing them to really push their team to present it to the WCC.

That would also make a lot of sense why Seattle has put off accepting GW membership.

I am posting in the wikipedia WAC MAP to help people envision travel partners.

based off the conference bb schedules the current travel partners appear to be:
NMSU/LA Tech
SJSU/UH
UI/BSU
with the last three in flux a good bit.

Now if you added Seattle it could be:
NMSU/LA Tech
SJSU/UH
USU/BSU
FS/UNR
UI/Seattle

I really wish things were different with Northern Arizona, Montana, and Montana St. The WAC would have a nice regional format with:

Montana
Montana St.
Idaho
Boise St.
Utah St.
Northern Arizona
Nevada
Fresno St.
San Jose St.
Hawaii

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:39 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The WAC should add UC Davis, Sacramento State, and Portland State as soon as they are ready to move to FBS. The Mountain West would likely come after Boise State, Fresno State, and Houston, who Louisiana Tech would replace in Conference USA.

Mountain West
Western - San Diego State, UNLV, Boise State, Utah, BYU, Fresno State
Mountain - TCU, Houston, Wyoming, Air Force, Colorado State, New Mexico

WAC
San Jose State/Nevada
Sacramento State/UC Davis
Portland State/Idaho
Utah State/New Mexico State
Hawaii

Long term, replace New Mexico State with Southern Utah (or Northern Arizona), or work on getting some more schools.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:36 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

WBYeager,thanks for the post.

WAC MB thread discussing column out of Fresno calling for the Bulldogs to jump from the sinking WAC ship at http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2368&t=5157343

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next