It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:29 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:58 am 
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome ... +-+1-11-01

Any NAIA or D-III would have to spend 8 yrs in D-II before moving to D-I
So a conf. would have to invite you from D-II in order for you to move up now? What about the Great West, do they have to wait 7 years to invite people(isn't that how long it takes. It was 6 core members for 5 years. they wouldn't have that until 2017) But I read that rule is gone.

So will the Great West count as long as the have 8 members? Or will they never count. That really kills a lot of move ups if they will never count.

ASC, OVC, Summit, Big South, AEC, NEC, Big West, SLC, MEAC are conference that have added D-II members the last 10 years. I don't see any other conf. looking at D-II members. I figure some of these conferences will try and add the 6 GWC schools left and the 4 Ind. schools. N.Dakota will join the Summit soon, the GWC will be down to 5.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:34 pm 
Senior
Senior

What i get out of it the great west can invite any division 2 school as long as they have been in division 2 for 5 years. Then it will take them 5 years to become classified as division 1. Some conference might get new division 2 members because as far as i see nothing is stopping schools in becoming independents or changing conferences during reclassifying. Right now it seems that the great west is considered a conference. Worst comes to worst they can get Savannah state just long enough to become their eighth member and be able to get their core members.(as it seems the great west could care less to become a more geographic fit for now at least) The main question would be when does North Dakota leave. They might be looking for another southern school since there already losing south Dakota in a year.

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:13 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
Eliminate the designations of “core” and “continuity” for Division I institutions and create a more meaningful definition of a multisport conference, including a minimum number of active members, minimum sport sponsorship, officiating and compliance program rules.

The elimination of any continuity requirements, such as the "6/5" rule for basketball, could actually help some of Division I's weakest conferences get on stronger footing much more quickly.

For example, if you look at these two conferences and their lineups as of 2011:

Great West - North Dakota, Utah Valley, UTPA, Houston Baptist, Chicago State, NJIT
Summit - South Dakota, Southern Utah, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, UMKC, Oral Roberts, Western Illinois, IPFW, IUPUI, Oakland

These two conferences could have some opportunity to consolidate geographically, but right now under the current rules each conference has to keep six members together for five years, and that's even assuming the Great West can pick up at least a couple of Independent schools and/or Denver from the Sun Belt. If there were no continuity requirement, then the two conferences could look like this:

Great West - North Dakota, South Dakota, Southern Utah, Utah Valley, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Denver (from Sun Belt), Seattle (from Independent), Houston Baptist, UTPA
Summit - UMKC, Oral Roberts, Western Illinois, IPFW, IUPUI, Oakland, Chicago State, NJIT, Savannah State (from Independent), Longwood (from Independent)

As more Division II schools come on board east of the Mississippi, the Great West could invite UMKC and ORU from the Summit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:07 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

It won't happen. No one will leave for the GWC because they don't have an autobid and the Summit does. What can happen is the GWC can recruit Grand Canyon, Dallas Baptist, Bellarmine, UM-St.Louis from D-II. N.Kentucky, W.Florida, N.Alabama, Lincoln Memorial should find homes in the OVC, ASC, Big South.

Another thing the GWC could do is offer spots to Seattle, CS Bakersfield, Savannah St., Longwood without an exit fee that way they can join until the conferences they have been waiting to join invite them. None of them want to join now because they don't want to pay a fee in a couple of years thinking they'll get invited to the WCC, Big West, MEAC, ASC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:27 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Houston Baptist did not have to go though the 7 year transition period like all NAIA to D-I and JC to D-I. Think they do 5 like all the D-II to D-I.