NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:31 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:55 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I posted somewhere on here that all the Gulf South presidents signed something saying they would stay D-II. That eliminates W.Georgia, N.Alabama, W.Florida, Delta St.

I hope the Big West adds CS Bakersfield before UCSD applies. If not the Big West would add UCSD and leave CSUB in the cold. More of a chance they go to 11 if UCSD wants in after CSUB is added. Plus id the WCC talks expansion again UOP would be at the top of their list. That would open another spot in the BW. If UOP left for the WCC that would give them 4 schools in Nor Cal.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:04 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
I posted somewhere on here that all the Gulf South presidents signed something saying they would stay D-II. That eliminates W.Georgia, N.Alabama, W.Florida, Delta St.

I hope the Big West adds CS Bakersfield before UCSD applies. If not the Big West would add UCSD and leave CSUB in the cold. More of a chance they go to 11 if UCSD wants in after CSUB is added. Plus id the WCC talks expansion again UOP would be at the top of their list. That would open another spot in the BW. If UOP left for the WCC that would give them 4 schools in Nor Cal.

I recall the same about the Gulf South.

As for the Big West, I think the Big West would be fine at 11 with both CSUB and UCSD. CSUB made the move up assuming they'd be in the Big West, so I hope it plays out that way.

As for the WCC, I know Pacific has been a rumored candidate. But based on what Seattle has done since upgrading back to D1, they've been an impressive candidate. I'd LOVE to see Seattle in the WCC. The other school I'd like to see there is Denver. Not just because it's NOT the Sunbelt, but because in this instance, I like the idea of a like-minded school like Denver joining the WCC. It's also the Denver market which is easy enough to travel to. Of course, it's more likely that the WCC would expand with 2 school rather than 3. But even if the the WCc made a bold move to 11 with Seattle, Denver and Pacific, I think they'd be in good shape.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:34 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

When the WCC was talking expansion they said 10 they wanted an even #. Either way I hope they do with Seattle and 1 of those other 2.

Plus if the BW went to 11. They could alway pull #12 out of the CCAA or wait for UC Merced to start sports and spend 5 years in D-II.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:06 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Cincy reporting that the NKU administration announced today that they were shelving any plans to move to NCAA D-1 for several years due to financial concerns.Link at http://news.cincinnati.com/article/AB/2 ... ivision+I+

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:46 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of San Diego reporting that UC-San Diego has hired a consultant to conduct a feasibility study to determine whether it is possible for UCSD to move to NCAA D-1.Link at http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010 ... -i-upgrade

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:41 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Thanks, freaked. Good to see UCSD is still pushing forward. I wonder if the BW would go to 11 by taking them and CS Bakersfield or if that's why CSUB hasn't been invited because they want only 10 w/ UCSD. UC's are more highly regarded in CA.

UC Santa Cruz D-III & UC Merced (No sports yet) would be the only non D-I UCs if UCSD moves up. UCSF is a grad school so they don't count.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:45 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Bakersfield discussing possible CSUB move from D-2 to D-1.They are apparently waiting on NCAA management council to make and announce final move up decisions on about 14 schools,perhaps by the end of this month.Link at http://www.bakersfield.com/news/sports/ ... ord-on-D-I

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:23 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Freaked -

Do you know if CSUB has a pending application to join the Big West ?
I have assumed so, but maybe the conference told them to wait until their move up was approved, before they start that process....

Thanks,
Tute

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:41 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Gotta figure it would be good to see a few shifts to solidify the region:

Denver from Sunbelt to WAC (longshot)
Pacific and Seattle to WCC (longshot)
CSUB to Big West to replace Pacific (possible)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:45 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Tute79,thanks for the post.
CSUB has been saying publicly for some time that their goal is to join the Big West conference.When they had to cut sports earlier this year they were careful to keep the 7 BWC "priority"sports.Although I cannot find confirmation of it I believe that CSUB has "applied" to the Big West in tandem with their NCAA D-1 application.Not sure whether the Big West has conditionally agreed to grant them membership upon final D-1 approval.Link to earlier article regarding financial and conference membership situation at http://www.bakersfield.com/news/sports/ ... CSUB-teams

Looks like we should know something before the end of summer.

Thanks
Freaked

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:35 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Better idea for the west

Montana or Cal Poly or UC Davis or Sac St. or Portland St. to the WAC
S.Utah to the Big Sky
CSUB to the Big West
Denver to the WCC or Big Sky
Seattle to the WCC

Big Sky would need to change the fb requirement, OVC did it so it's possible. If the WAC took a BW school that opens the door for UCSD to move up like that want to along with CSUB to get to 10.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:41 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Thanks for the info, Freaked.

I second Fresno's proposals... let's move away form hybrid conferences !!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:58 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

I've always loved the idea of Denver and Seattle to the WCC...always wanted that to happen...but the WCC seems less interested in Denver than even some of the football conferences like the WAC.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:05 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Big Sky should add a non fb. Denver or UVU as the 10th member works for them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:41 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Why pick a non-football school, when Southern Utah (right in the middle of the Big Sky footprint, and having a football team) has made it known that they would LOVE to be the 10th Big Sky team ?

There is even an expectation in the Summit League office that Southern Utah will leave (given half a chance) to rationalize their travel. The Summit League commissioner Tom Douple has said "Perhaps Southern Utah would be better served being in a more western conference"... GEES !!! You never make a statement about a member in good standing, unless they have one foot out the door !

The Big Sky commissioner has acknowledged that Southern Utah is right up at the top of the list if/ when the Big Sky considers expanding.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next