NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:34 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:15 pm 
Senior
Senior

Maybe, maybe not? Its not a situation I would like to see NDSU in. Under the same circumstances Poly was left on the bubble the year before and probably more desrving that year than last. Its not a plus to be sure.

It isnt the only reason we should take a GFC invite but certainly belongs on the list.

Last edited by 11jbb11 on Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:13 pm 
Junior
Junior

I agree in 2008 NDSU and SDSU will probably go to the gateway, and the GWFC will be left with 6. But can still get the autobid with 6. Unfortunatley, SUU is a candidate for the big sky.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:22 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

With the Great West Football Conference in trouble, I'd like to see the league (and it's working relationship with the Mid-Con) consider some options for the future.

I'd like to see the Mid-Con change their name to the Great West and expand to 14, continuing to sponsor football.

GREAT WEST:
North:
North Dakota
South Dakota
NDSU
SDSU
Oakland
IPFW
IUPUI

SOUTH:
Western Illinois
Centenary
Oral Roberts
UMKC
Texas-Pan American
Southern Utah
Utah Valley St.

FOOTBALL:
* North Dakota
* South Dakota
* NDSU
* SDSU
* Western Illinois
* Southern Utah

FB-Only Members:
*Cal-Poly
*UC Davis

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:21 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I think NDU and SDU to the Mid-Con will eventually happen. The Mid-Con may even be in discussions with those schools, but nothing will likely happen until they are fully eligible D-I programs. The Mid-Con has to start thinking whether they want to go to 12 (and take in 2 schools that would seem to fit well for the long haul), or wait until there are some openings.

SUU could one day be invited to join the Big Sky (they would not hesitate). Western Illinois might garner some interest from the OVC. I don't think there is anywhere for Centenary to go for the foreseeable future. But an opening or two could hasten Mid-Con invites for NDU / SDU.

On the football front, I think NDSU and SDSU could hardly be happier with their upcoming ove to the Gateway. Geographically, the Gateway is about the best fit possible. Should the Gateway get a vacancy or two (Youngstown State might eventually move up to the MAC, Western Illinois to the OVC - who knows), North and South Dakota U's would seem to be top candidates for the next Gateway expansion.

If your football scenario somehow came to pass, it might have some unintended consequences. The conference might seem stable enough to lure Sac. State to leave the Big Sky for the Big West / Great West football. Suddenly a vacancy appears in the Big Sky and SUU gets the invitation. And they leave the Mid-Con. There is a certain instability to this mess until there is some geographical rationalization, such that everyone get settled into a conference that works for them long-term.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:33 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
Should the Gateway get a vacancy or two (Youngstown State might eventually move up to the MAC, Western Illinois to the OVC - who knows)

There have been rumors of YSU wanting to move up ever since they had Tressell and won 4 NCs in the 90s (Interestingly they beat Boise State in 1994 for the NC). I just think the MAC doesn't want them because they already have Akron and Kent (both Akron and Kent are less than 1 hour drive from Youngstown) unless some unforseen circumstances causes the MAC to add them.

This is why I always thought that their location both hurts and helps them. It would be better if a North East 'Sun Belt' conference were started with Buffalo moving east and some CAA schools moving up - YSU could join that group.

Last edited by panthersc97 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:15 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Before yesterday's Stony Brook to Big South announcement, I was hopeful that perhaps the American East might sponsor football.

This is a bit different (a new FCS (Div I-AA) conference, rather than FBS (I-A) like you were discussing, granted, but I thought it might attract Youngstown State and others.

ODU's adoption of football in 2009 will mean 7 CAA schools in CAA football, and with 6 guest schools, sombody might be looking to move elsewhere. Since 2 (Maine and New Hampshire) are AE, and Stony Brook (AE) went to full 63 scholarships and Albany (AE) MAY do the same, AE football seemed like a possibility.

I DO NOT think the possibility of AE football is dead. Stony Brook signed a 4-year deal which bridges the Big South until Presbyterian is fully eligible. In the meantime, the Big South will presumably look to add some more southern FB schools (ETSU may be a possibility if they resume football). Stony Brook can exit painlessly after 4 years, if Albany has their act together by then and the AE FB moves forward.

I can't see a Div 1-A (FBS) new northeast FB conference happening very soon, since it would seem to require a massive move-up at one time. At the FBS level now, you have Army, Navy, Temple, and perhaps Buffalo would leave the MAC. Maybe this could be coordinated with ECU's thought of breaking off the CUSA East ? But I don't see too many eastern FCS teams poised to jump to FBS soon, YSU might be one of the few in position to pull it off...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:00 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:

I can't see a Div 1-A (FBS) new northeast FB conference happening very soon, since it would seem to require a massive move-up at one time.

Me either... but certainly there is a place for one. There is a 'lower tier' 1A confernce in the Midwest, South, and West. There should be one in the Mid Atlantic/North East too.

Quote:

At the FBS level now, you have Army, Navy, Temple, and perhaps Buffalo would leave the MAC. Maybe this could be coordinated with ECU's thought of breaking off the CUSA East ? But I don't see too many eastern FCS teams poised to jump to FBS soon, YSU might be one of the few in position to pull it off..

The original ideas are posted in the BE forum.

http://collegesportsinfo/forum/viewtopic.php?t=639

I was thinking in more terms of Maine, UNH, URI, Stony Brook, Delaware, UMass, JMU. I just think YSU won't be admitted to the MAC because of its location to Akron/Kent.

Costs are really starting to increase significantly with increasing tuition costs, etc. UMass lost $3 million. The only way to increase revenue is from paydays for playing 1A teams, TV, and attendance. I just think some fans won't watch unless they see their schools as 'big time'. Will that change if they are Bowl division vs. Champ. Division or does it depend on how well their team does? Who knows?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:08 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Rapid City with comments from USD AD regarding possible future move out of Great West FB at http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/sports/ ... 03286.html