NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:46 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:31 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

SUU had been passed over for a number of reasons by the Big Sky. Academics was a big one. And infrastructure for athletics was the other. But when it comes time for replacements, SUU will likely be the top target. There are just so few Big Sky options: Great/Big West schools like UC Davis and Cal Poly don't want in the BS for anything but football. And sure UND and USD would like the Big Sky for football, but would ideally want to be in a conference for other sports with NDSU and SDSU...which is why the Summit works so well.

But that would mean 4 schools to the Big Sky.

I guess it could still be an option if say, the Big Sky lost 1 school like Montana:

East: UND, USD, NDSU, SDSU, Montana St., NoCo
West: Weber St., Idaho St., NAU, Sac St., Port St., EWU

But right now, it looks like if the Big Sky lost 1 school, then SUU makes the most sense.

Denver to the Big Sky would be a longshot...and only to help solidify the footprint and potentially help the basketball side. The big Sky is pretty poor in hoops...Denver would do fine.

Back to the Dakotas...
It's interesting that while in the MVFC, you have to think that there is some benefit to NDSU and SDSU if the Summit added football.

You'd have: UND, USD, NDSU, SDSU, SUU and WIU. They would likely add Cal Poly and UC Davis as affiliate members.

But the only way this works is if all 6 members agree to remain in the Summit for an extended period. And that's the problem. You lose 1 school, it's over for all of them. So if the MVC invited SDSU and NDSU for all sports, game over. And that might happen. So instead, we now are about to see the Summit have 6 football schools in a conference, yet they won't be sponsoring football.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:17 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
Why pick a non-football school, when Southern Utah (right in the middle of the Big Sky footprint, and having a football team) has made it known that they would LOVE to be the 10th Big Sky team ?

There is even an expectation in the Summit League office that Southern Utah will leave (given half a chance) to rationalize their travel. The Summit League commissioner Tom Douple has said "Perhaps Southern Utah would be better served being in a more western conference"... GEES !!! You never make a statement about a member in good standing, unless they have one foot out the door !

The Big Sky commissioner has acknowledged that Southern Utah is right up at the top of the list if/ when the Big Sky considers expanding.

My scenario was that Montana or Sac St. went to the WAC so that the Sky would add S.Utah as #9 and Denver as #10. Who else is there with football that would join as #10? No one UND, USD, NDSU, SDSU wouldn't go unless all of them came as a package probably.

The only school w/ fb that could come on as 10 in that scenario would be C.Washington but they'd need to boost up their budget before a move to D-I

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:36 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

I agree, FSA. Makes sense. So few options for the Big Sky. Hell, even if they wanted to try to preserve the basketball bid if there were a mass exodus, they'd have very few options: Denver? Seattle? CSUB? UVU? I guess SUU, UVU and Denver would make things alright if they lost schools and really needed replacements.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:35 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Birmingham News blog article quoting Times Daily piece with update on possible UNA D-1 upgrade situation at http://blog.al.com/birmingham-news-spor ... e_shr.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:00 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Couple of FCS MB threads discussing above mentioned UNA D-1 study story at http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/ ... =4&t=16901
and at http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthr ... iv-I-Study

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:33 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Times Daily article with update on UNA D-1 move up situation.School apparently would like a conference invite from OVC or SBC by May 2011.Interesting to see what develops in that short of a time frame.Link at http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20100 ... move-Money

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:10 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I think it's pretty much OVC or bust for North Alabama-the Sun Belt just has too many programs available to pick from that are already in Division I. There is also the issue of potentially having an odd travel pairing unless if you bring in Jacksonville State with them. UNA's location in the northwest part of the state makes them readily accessible from Western and Middle Tennessee, where most of the OVC's schools are located.

The Big South might be willing to take a look at UNA, but they are a bit of a geographic outlier for an all-sports membership. Football-only, on the other hand, would make a ton of sense.

The Atlantic Sun would also not have a travel partner for UNA unless if one of the Nashville schools left.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:50 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Northern Kentucky University planning D1 upgrade:

http://collegesportsinfo.com/2011/04/08 ... 1-upgrade/

Gotta think the Summit is the top candidate to extend an invite...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:52 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Cincinnati Enquirer article with comments from NKU AD and others with clarification of NKU D-1 situation at http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2011 ... nav%7Chead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:57 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Cincinnati Enquirer article with comments from NKU AD and others with clarification of NKU D-1 situation at http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2011 ... nav%7Chead

I like that they are aiming for Horizon and look at the OVC as backup. Could happen, but the Summit will be sitting there are an option.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:12 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Article regarding Grand Canyon's desired move to DI / WAC... http://www.azcentral.com/sports/articles/2011/03/12/20110312grand-canyon-university-plots-become-basketball-power.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:32 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

GCUfan,thanks for the post.

WAC MB thread discussing GCU and FBS upgrade situation at http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f ... 393720&p=1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:44 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

freaked, I brought in GCUfan and CPSLOGrad(if he's using that name here) I think they could add some good input to the site.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:44 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

freaked4collegefb wrote:

WAC MB thread discussing GCU and FBS upgrade question for this situation at http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f ... 393720&p=1

Thanks, I have been participating in that discussion as well.

Things contiinue to percolate with GCU and the WAC. Hopefully there will be more to report soon. I know most don't give much thought to the possibility, but if activities at GCU since the article are any indication, GCU IS getting a closer look from the WAC.

I have a question for you all. In the event GCU is accepted by the WAC and the NCAA accepts their application, what happens next year to GCU athletes who are leigible by DII rules but not by DI rules. Are those athletes just out of luck?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:24 pm 
Senior
Senior

GCUfan wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:

WAC MB thread discussing GCU and FBS upgrade question for this situation at http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f ... 393720&p=1

Thanks, I have been participating in that discussion as well.

Things contiinue to percolate with GCU and the WAC. Hopefully there will be more to report soon. I know most don't give much thought to the possibility, but if activities at GCU since the article are any indication, GCU IS getting a closer look from the WAC.

I have a question for you all. In the event GCU is accepted by the WAC and the NCAA accepts their application, what happens next year to GCU athletes who are leigible by DII rules but not by DI rules. Are those athletes just out of luck?

That is one reason why there is the transition period of 5 years - so all of those athletes filter out. All new signees will have to meet DI standards, but DII eligible are not kicked out. Since a transitioning team is not post-season eligible, they are fine to stay

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next