NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:39 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:03 pm 
Senior
Senior

With the MWC most likely going to 12 and the remaining WAC schools trying to get into the Sun Belt if it happens, all of the non Big 6 conferences will likely be holding a championship game soon. If nothing else changes, only the Big 12 and Big East will be without championship games.

My question for the group, does anyone else think that this will force the hand of the Big 12 and/or Big East? Without championship games, they may be perceived as the weakest conferences near the level of the MWC (which is where the Big East is basically already at). The conference championship can often make or break a case for a shot at the National Championship.

So if the BE can't find a way to get ND full time the split may finally come (the football schools are the better basketball schools anyway, they don't need the other half). From there UCF, East Carolina, Memphis, Houston, Temple and maybe Southern Miss or Buffalo would be considered. Depends on Nova, but I think UCF, Houston and Memphis would fill out a south division nicely.

The Big 12 would likely add BYU and then one of the following: Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, Boise State, Air Force, and maybe UNLV or New Mexico (long shots being SMU, Houston, and TCU I suppose). Since those are Red States on election day, I like Air Force.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:30 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Since the MWC is remaining at 9/10 and not expanding, this threat is now moot. That said, it's not the MWC/CUSA/MACs that will have any say in that. If the Pac-10 and Big Ten push the issue along with the ACC and SEC, it could be an issue: must be 12/have championship game to be in BCS. Leaves only Big East and Big 12.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:59 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quinn wrote:
Since the MWC is remaining at 9/10 and not expanding, this threat is now moot. That said, it's not the MWC/CUSA/MACs that will have any say in that. If the Pac-10 and Big Ten push the issue along with the ACC and SEC, it could be an issue: must be 12/have championship game to be in BCS. Leaves only Big East and Big 12.

I'm not sold with the MWC yet. They did the same thing with Boise earlier invite, no invite, invite. But yeah, I wonder if the other BCS conferences will push for championship games in the near future. You're right though, this sorta became a moot point now the MWC backed off.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:03 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I think the MWC backed off because the candidates out there were less than impressive (no offense to your Spartans, but you were 1-12 and are 51-114 vs FBS since joining the WAC).

Basically, it makes zero sense to go after Utah State and San Jose State before the Big East finishes their expansion. If the Big East takes UCF, Houston and UTEP might re-consider.

If the Big East takes UCF for #18 and then adds Houston for #12 football... the MWC can get UTEP and one of SJSU/USU.

If the SEC does something, the MWC could end up with some current Big XII teams. Not to mention that the stronger the MWC is as a whole, the better the chances of current members getting Big XII invites.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:39 am 
Senior
Senior

JPSchmack wrote:
I think the MWC backed off because the candidates out there were less than impressive (no offense to your Spartans, but you were 1-12 and are 51-114 vs FBS since joining the WAC).

Basically, it makes zero sense to go after Utah State and San Jose State before the Big East finishes their expansion. If the Big East takes UCF, Houston and UTEP might re-consider.

If the Big East takes UCF for #18 and then adds Houston for #12 football... the MWC can get UTEP and one of SJSU/USU.

If the SEC does something, the MWC could end up with some current Big XII teams. Not to mention that the stronger the MWC is as a whole, the better the chances of current members getting Big XII invites.

I completely agree (and no offense taken, I actually used to be a Hawaii Warriors fan, but now I go to school here at SJ). I too had been saying wait on the Big East and see if C-USA loses some teams before expanding. March is probably when we might see some action.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:37 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
JPSchmack wrote:

I completely agree (and no offense taken, I actually used to be a Hawaii Warriors fan, but now I go to school here at SJ). I too had been saying wait on the Big East and see if C-USA loses some teams before expanding. March is probably when we might see some action.

the good news for the SJSU fans is that they made the radar this round, something nobody thought would happen.

If the Big East does ever expand to 10 with UCF or 12 with say Houston and maybe a 3rd CUSA school, things could change. But CUSA could replace those lost schools with options from the region, like North Texas, UTSA, Texas St., App St., GA State, JMU, Delaware, Temple, UMass, etc.

There will be a good chance that UTEP would be in the MWC mix if CUSA lost 2 schools. But then again, it would likely be UTEP and Utah St. if Houston ended up in the Big East. And even if CUSA lost only UCF, it's still doubtful Houston and UTEP would leave...the changes to CUSA would be minimal with UCF only leaving.

SJSU just needs to hope that there is room in the inn and that CUSA schools remain happy.

I know SJSU and Utah St. don't look as attractive as Houston and UTEP. And while it's not as good financially, I do think it's a benefit to the overall conference. Something good about all 3 Cal State schools in the same conference while all the Cal FBS schools are in 1 conference. And the MWC is really strong in Utah due to BYU and Utah. With them gone, Utah St. makes sense.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.