Senior
Senior

ND network

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entr ... 8/29941344

Post subject: Re: ND network
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:09 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Ok, so BYU already has their own network, and will actually be able to put their sports on it this year after leaving the MWC.

The University of Texas is starting their own network this upcoming season.

Now Notre Dame may be starting their own network, could all three wind up being in the same conference?

BYU is widely considered to be one of two teams invited into the Big 12 if (when) they expand back to 12 teams. I remember seeing something a while back from I believe the AD at Texas that Notre Dame would be welcome for Olympic sports in the Big 12. I don't think this would happen unless the Big East split and Notre Dame found itself needing a better conference then either of the two halves after the split.

Obviously the Big 12 would prefer all sports from Notre Dame, but would the actually allow Notre Dame's Olympic sports to join and maybe give a football only invite to someone like Boise State? Would Boise be able to find a home for its other sports if that happened? Who knows, maybe I'm just dreaming a bit to much.

Isn't there a Sooner Network in the plans too?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:01 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ctx48c wrote:

Is the Big East going to allow Notre Dame to schedule varsity sports that play in the Big East on the Notre Dame network? Soccer, baseball? If not , how and what material will Notre Dame use to fill up 24 by 7 cable. Football reruns? If the OWN is having issues filling up a 24 x 7 network, how, are the U of Texas and Notre Dame going to manage this feat?

The Big 12 is allowing Texas to schedule its own network because the school continues to play a full Big 12 football schedule

I would assume the Big East TV contact has all rights to Notre Dame non conference basketball schedule and other non football varsity sports as well with the exception of football.

This is the first time that Notre Dame could actually impact and hurt the non basketball schools. A Notre Dame cable network is just not about football any longer!

Would the Big East basketball only school permit Notre Dame to have its own network and have the benefits to continue to play as an all sports member.

Maybe Notre Dame is getting ready to take the Big 12 up on on its special offer to join that league.

The Big East is moving away from special deals and to more of a social type revenue sharing similar to ACC, Big Ten, Pac 12, and SEC.

The Big 12 is moving more to a capitalistic type of revenue sharing similar to how the Big East use to be with Miami and Notre Dame got special deals.

Notre Dame to the Big 12? Maybe this is the reason the Big 12 is not expanding with more football schools and is retaining its Big 12 name. Could BYU be the 12 school to join for all sports except football?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:34 pm 
Junior
Junior

lash wrote:
ctx48c wrote:

Is the Big East going to allow Notre Dame to schedule varsity sports that play in the Big East on the Notre Dame network? Soccer, baseball? If not , how and what material will Notre Dame use to fill up 24 by 7 cable. Football reruns? If the OWN is having issues filling up a 24 x 7 network, how, are the U of Texas and Notre Dame going to manage this feat?

The Big 12 is allowing Texas to schedule its own network because the school continues to play a full Big 12 football schedule

I would assume the Big East TV contact has all rights to Notre Dame non conference basketball schedule and other non football varsity sports as well with the exception of football.

This is the first time that Notre Dame could actually impact and hurt the non basketball schools. A Notre Dame cable network is just not about football any longer!

Would the Big East basketball only school permit Notre Dame to have its own network and have the benefits to continue to play as an all sports member.

Maybe Notre Dame is getting ready to take the Big 12 up on on its special offer to join that league.

The Big East is moving away from special deals and to more of a social type revenue sharing similar to ACC, Big Ten, Pac 12, and SEC.

The Big 12 is moving more to a capitalistic type of revenue sharing similar to how the Big East use to be with Miami and Notre Dame got special deals.

Notre Dame to the Big 12? Maybe this is the reason the Big 12 is not expanding with more football schools and is retaining its Big 12 name. Could BYU be the 12 school to join for all sports except football?

I thought the point of getting to 12 teams was to get the conference championship game back. Getting the championship game brings you a lot of money. By adding two teams but not on the football side causes you to have more mouths to feed but not a lot of more money.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:35 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I'm having a hard time with this... As I did with the Longhorn Network.

The problem is amount of content. Unlike Texas, ND is a true independent in FB, but they are well-paid for hte games they own the rights to by NBC (maybe that moves to NBC Sports or Universal Sports or whatever).
To the extent they are a member of the BE, doesn't content in BE-sponsored sports (BB in particular) get tossed into the pot for the BE BB contract (currently CBS / ESPN) ?

So are people going to tune in to watch crap like Fighting Irish Volleyball ? Or Knute Rockne highlight films at 4 am when they have insomnia ?

To fill up a TV schedule 365 / 24 takes a lot of content, or a lot of repitition. Maybe you get enough rabid fans to DEMAND this crap from their cable provider, but it's hard to envision a whole lot of viewership.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:18 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

hickory_cornhusker wrote:
lash wrote:
ctx48c wrote:

I thought the point of getting to 12 teams was to get the conference championship game back. Getting the championship game brings you a lot of money. By adding two teams but not on the football side causes you to have more mouths to feed but not a lot of more money.

hickory_cornhusker,
You would think so, yet it was the U of Texas mouthing off about Notre Dame could join the Big 12 if they wanted too without football. If Notre Dame football program is not joining the Big Ten, it will never join the Big 12.

To me the U of Texas has way too much power in the Big 12 right now and when one team has too much power it tends to end up in a disaster for a conference. The Big East for years had too much dependencies on U of Miami and the school leaving for the ACC nearly imploded the league.

I believe Air Force and BYU would make a very good replacement in the north division of the Big 12 for the loss of Colorado and Nebraska,

The issue is the U of Texas does not want a Big 12 football championship game. We all know "what Texas wants Texas gets in the Big 12".

I tend to believe the Big 12 took over the Big East place of providing special benefits to teams which is not what a conference is meant to do and the Big East became more like the normal conferences where everyone shares revenue more equally. Notre Dame is more like the Big 12 and less like the Big East these days and would be a good fit in the Big 12.

You should be so happy your school fled the Big 12 and got into the Big Ten.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:49 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I have received the B10 network on the Comcast package since its inception. That involved 11, now 12 schools. During fb season, it covers a B10 game, and usually not the most prominent game of the week involving the B10. Covering classic games of the past is a big feature. Where I see real value, is the B10 is able to get televised so many Olympic-style sports coverage: volleyball, swimming, gymnastics, etc. Plus, each school in the B10 gets features on a multitude of topics, some not directly action sports.

What is questionable is how a network, based on only one school is going to have very extended programming year-round and for most of the day? This could get boring fast. And very prominent fb and bb games are apt to be carried on another network instead.

BYU may be a little different. They can integrate their theological orientation, such as missionary work, into their features.