NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:12 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:38 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Dont' think there is a starting point for this conference...so here it is.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:26 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I'd be surprised if it sees much traffic. Other than Army and Navy I don't see any candidates for Ivy League expansion. They (the Ivies) don't care about the money, and they have no plans for post-season play.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:37 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

It looks that way. There was chatter at one point about Northwestern, but the BTN put an end to that. CMU in Pittsburgh is another interesting option if they moved to D1. But the best fits might be Amherst and Williams if they upgraded.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:56 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I am a Williams grad and have heard nothing about upgrading. They won't even add a ninth game so they can play all opponents in the NESCAC nor allow their FB team to enter post season play.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:47 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

D-3 upgrades to the Ivy or the Patriot are pretty unlikely IMHO. The only "expansion" to the Ancient Eight that I see as even remotely feasible would be if the Patriot opts to remain non-scholarship in football. Might Fordham, Colgate and maybe Holy Cross look elsewhere while Lehigh, Lafayette, Bucknell and Georgetown form a NESCAC arrangement with the IVY? Even then, would it only be for football?

The Ivy (and Patriot) are very unique leagues, more in common with each other, which don't have very many candidates for expansion available.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:01 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

You're correct UNH. The Ivy had some talk a decade ago of Northwestern joining. But the $$$ growth of the Big Ten makes that a dead issue. There could be D3 schools that upgrade one day to the Patriot, and maybe decades from now they'd be attractive to the Ivy. But not now, nor in most lifetimes.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:26 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

You could not move from D-III to D-I before and you can't now.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:50 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
You could not move from D-III to D-I before and you can't now.

FSA,
What was meant about schools in D3 like Amherst and Williams has been the standard process: upgrade to D1, eventually join the Ivy. It was not intended to convey an idea by which they would bypass the NCAA rules in any way. But if a conference expressed interest in a school, that conference would wait until a school was ready to go. Not any different than say, the A-Sun and some of the schools they now have. They had discussions before ever upgrading to D1.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:02 pm 
Senior
Senior

The Ivy League is fine as it is. No schools are coming or going in the foreseeable future.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:17 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Rice should be in the Ivy League its just too far away...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:15 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I guess if for some reason the Ivy League had to go beyond eight (i.e., to qualify as a Division I Conference), it might be easier for them to merge with the Patriot League and play as the Ivy "Division".

Probably the only thing we'll see out of the Ivy League is sponsorship of hockey if it works out for the Big Ten-the Ivy has enough schools sponsoring both Men's and Women's hockey.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:48 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

wbyeager wrote:
I guess if for some reason the Ivy League had to go beyond eight (i.e., to qualify as a Division I Conference), it might be easier for them to merge with the Patriot League and play as the Ivy "Division".

Probably the only thing we'll see out of the Ivy League is sponsorship of hockey if it works out for the Big Ten-the Ivy has enough schools sponsoring both Men's and Women's hockey.

Well, you're right that it would take something of a real longshot like an NCAA rule forcing a membership number.

But really, I think it would be just as easy for the Ivy League to pick and choose who they want. So maybe they do look at the Patriot, but they'd only need a couple schools, not all of them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:35 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Just throwing this out there but...how competitive is the Ivy League in FCS football or DI basketball? It seems that the world of collegiate athletics is passing them by. Wouldn't it make sense for them to downgrade to DII in order to have some sort of chance at equal competition? They could still play some sports at the DI level like rowing or hockey but I assume if I was a Harvard basketball player I would like to have a chance at actually winning a national title....thought?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:53 pm 
Senior
Senior

tkalmus wrote:
Just throwing this out there but...how competitive is the Ivy League in FCS football or DI basketball? It seems that the world of collegiate athletics is passing them by. Wouldn't it make sense for them to downgrade to DII in order to have some sort of chance at equal competition? They could still play some sports at the DI level like rowing or hockey but I assume if I was a Harvard basketball player I would like to have a chance at actually winning a national title....thought?

The Ivy league schools focus on the academic side of things. The do not offer sports or any type of scholarships i think same goes with the patriot league. The schools have supporters with deep pockets. A national title isn't really on the list usually. If it was They would have thier football teams go to the FCS playoffs.

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:50 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I get all that but that why I said they could be more competitive and even win titles in basketball. When we talk about divisions we are typically talking about football and basketball for the most part but as you point out they don't participate in the FCS post season and only play 3 out of conference games (mostly against local or other non-scholarship team) so I'm not really talking about fb. Maybe I should have made it more clear but I think downgrading to DII would help their basketball and give them a chance to win some title which they DO compete in.