NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:42 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:03 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Thanks Finite for all your work on this.

Just wondering about the news that Carleton is looking at bringing back football. As of right now, they would probably be put in the OUA. That would boost that conference to 11 teams. Would they go to divisions then? Would the OUA change the amount of games played in a season?

I remember when Carleton dropped football. Ottawa and Queen's moved to the OUA and it made sense at the time. Plus, popularity of football was booming in Quebec and the feeling was more universities would pick it up, and they did. Sherbrooke and Montreal started football after Carleton dropped it and I have heard there is a possibility of other Quebec universities starting football programs. The problem could become AUS. With only four teams they almost seem isolated out in the Atlantic region. Plus, it creates an unfair advantage for a team like St. Mary's, who routinely wins the AUS and gets to go to the national semi-finals. They only have to better than three other teams, whereas it is quite probably that soon, an Ontario team must be better than 10 others to win their conference. Me thinks, something has to change there.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:37 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

in canada a college is what we in the states know as a junior college/community college. university is where the 4 year programs are. its not like how college & university are interchangeable terms here in the US.

according to SFU's wiki page, this is their 2nd season in Division 2 & were actually denied in the 90s for a transition from naia to ncaa. a few of my cousins are SFU alums so i actually remember hearing about this when they applied to the ncaa in 2009.

i like the idea of this thread because there are a lot of canadian universities near the border that could potentially move to ncaa conferences. university of windsor comes to mind.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:15 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

I think it is high-time for schools to seriously look at joining the NCAA for football. The CIS as it is cannot continue to support football the way it is going. Putting some money into re-doing stadiums to match American football standards and join Division II and see what happens. There are some schools that have moved up from D-II to FCS and then the FBS in our lifetime. Nothing says a school like Laval, that puts a lot of money in their football program, couldn't do the same given 15-20 years to move up the ranks.