NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:32 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:04 pm 
Senior
Senior

So I'm not sure if people will like this idea as much as I do, but I've always wanted a chart that listed how the conference felt about expansion/realignment (rather than us going on and on about whether A&M wants to leave). I've only done D-I (and it was a quick write up that I can add to later if people like it). Here it is:

FBS

ACC - Didn't appear proactive until Pitt and Cuse applied and were accepted to the conference. Increased exit fees making it less likely a school is leaving for the ACC (but don't rule it out just yet). Texas and Notre Dame are rumored for non football membership or the ACC could go to 16. Potential schools are:

Texas
Notre Dame
Rutgers
Connecticut
West Virginia
South Florida
Other Big East non football members should Texas stay in Big 12 and ND joins.

Big East - With the loss of Pitt and Syracuse, the Big East needs to move immediately. Currently at 7 members, the conference must invite at least one more school. Was considering 12 members but with limited options it seems unlikely. If the conference wants to survive, just about any school in C-USA is an option. Potential schools are:

Houston

UCF
Villanova

Navy/Army
Temple
UMass
East Carolina
Memphis
S. Mississippi
SMU

However, with Texas A&M leaving the Big 12, that conference's demise could be coming. The Big East could expand with Big 12 North teams. Baylor and Iowa State have reached out to the Big East should the Big 12 dissolve.

Alternatively: It is expected that many or all of the football playing members will be leaving the Big East soon. If so, the remaining basketball programs have the option of adding 2-4 non football members and going forth as a non football conference, or the conference could add FCS programs continue to sponsor football as a hybrid conference (no longer as an AQ conference however). If the latter option is chosen potential schools are:

Villanova (upgrade football)
UMass
Temple
Richmond
Charlotte
William & Mary
James Madison
Old Dominion
Delaware
New Hampshire

Big 10 - Stable. Would likely only expand if ND was available or if super conferences were formed. 
 Recently stated they are not looking to expand. If ND joined they would likely want Northeastern schools brought in rather than schools to the west like Missouri or the Kansas schools. It seems that these schools are no longer available for the Big 10.

Big 12 - Recent news that Texas A&M, unhappy with the new Longhorn Network, is leaving for the SEC. The conference may be forced to add one more school to keep the conference stable (BYU, TCU, or Houston are the likely candidates). However, it is possible that Big 12 North teams may look to the Big East for a home. If the conference does not implode, it could soon expand to 12 and have a conference championship game again (especially if BCS mandated it). Reports surfacing say that the Big 12 is eying AFA, BYU, and Houston. Other reports say that the Big 12 is looking to the Big East for replacement schools but Louisville and TCU seems to be the only remaining candidates to choose from. Potential schools are:

Air Force
BYU
Houston
Louisville
Boise State
TCU
UTEP
New Mexico
UNLV
SDSU

Pacific 12 - Stable. Likely will only expand if Texas and Co. are available or if super conferences form. However, Oklahoma and OSU have been in contact with the Pac 12 about joining and the conference has said they will consider 14. The question remains if this would push Texas to move west. Potential schools are:

Texas
Texas Tech
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Baylor
BYU (would likely be blocked by California schools)
Kansas
Missouri

SEC - Texas A&M has an invite to the SEC if the Big 12 agrees to drop any lawsuit against the SEC so it appears the SEC will need to wait for A&M (but they will join eventually, that is certain). If the conference wanted, it could consider going to 16 but this seems unlikely with the increased ACC exit fees. This makes WVU one of the most likely candidates. Potential schools are:

West Virginia
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas Tech
Florida State
Clemson
Louisville
Virginia
Virginia Tech
North Carolina
Duke
Georgia Tech
Texas

C-USA - Stable but members could be targeted by several other conferences. Could be forced to expand if members were lost. However, the potential losses are so great that the conference could lose as many as half of its members soon. It remains to be seen where in the pecking order C-USA would fall to. Potential schools include:

N. Texas (if SMU left)
Charlotte
Western Kentucky
Middle Tennessee State
Temple
Louisiana Tech
Troy
Florida Atlantic (if UCF left)
Florida International (if UCF left)

UMass
UTSA
Texas State
New Mexico State

Mountain West - Claims to be happy at 10 but rumors about adding two more for a conference championship have been on going for months. Could be waiting for another conference to push over the first domino and pick up whatever falls in their lap. Unfortunately, the Big 12 may be in position to raid the MWC soon. Potential schools include:

Houston
SMU
UTEP
Utah State
San Jose State
Idaho

Also, a Big 12 implosion could make the MWC the biggest winners in this round of expansion as Kansas and Kansas State could become available.

Sun Belt - Currently at 10/11. Could force out last remaining non football member then go to 12. Also could pick up schools if WAC folds. Most members are not targets by other conferences but a few could be considered by C-USA if there was enough movement.

WAC - Amazingly enough the WAC lives. Looking for two more football playing members. Lamar wants to move but conference is looking west first. Potential schools include:

Montana
Montana State
Lamar
Sam Houston State
Stephen F. Austin

If the WAC is really lucky, the trickle down from the SEC and ACC could effect the Sun Belt more than the WAC and the WAC could swoop in and pick up N. Texas and/or some of the Louisiana schools. Or if C-USA West loses three members, the remaining three could join the Southwest based WAC, instead of staying in an expanded C-USA (which may look east for future members isolating their western members).

FCS

Big Sky - Stable. N. Dakota nickname resolved. Jokingly invited WAC schools but could land them if WAC folded.

Big South - Could be looking to move to 12. Unclear where schools would come from as conference is not high up on the feeding chart.

Colonial - Needs to try to appease Northern football only members or could face loss of more members. Likely will try to add 2 or more football only members depending on what happens with Nova and the Big East.

Ivy League - Stable, will not change.

Mid-Eastern - Historically Black College and University (HBCU) schools. Currently at 11/13 members which is odd. Could look to add one full member that plays football.

Missouri Valley - Football conference stable. Chose not to add N. Dakota when S. Dakota was invited which would have given the conference all 4 Dakota schools. Could be because no 12th school materialized as likely candidate Nebraska-Omaha dropped football when they moved to D-I. Olympic sport side could grab two schools if the A-10 was picked apart by a Big East split.

Northeast - Could try to grab Maine and New Hampshire in football if the schools cannot stay in the Colonial. Would offer reduced scholarships and travel but would be a huge downgrade.

Ohio Valley - Rumored to be courting N. Alabama and N. Kentucky which would give them 10/14. Conference would split very nicely into north/south divisions if members wanted that.

Patriot League - Stable. Fordham could leave if the school wanted to begin offering scholarships in football.

Pioneer League - Non Scholarship football conference. Additions of Mercer and Stetson give the conference 12 members.

Southern - Very stable conference. Would likely only consider expansion if a member (Appalachian State) moved to FBS.

Southland - Has lost many members to the WAC and could lose more in the future. Would need to look to D-II’s Lonestar or Gulf South conferences for replacements. Conference has publicly stated there is support for a 10th school.

SWAC - HBCUs that struggle to compete in D-I. Invited Tennessee State but no response. Conference could be forced to move down as a whole because many schools have struggled to make it financially in D-I.

Non-football

American East - Stable. Nine members, could consider going to 10.

A-10 - Many teams could be courted by a split Big East. If so, conference could lose many members. For now, stable.

Atlantic Sun - Currently 9 schools. Member schools have added football or are considering it which could make them more attractive to other conferences in the future. Should schools leave NJIT and/or Longwood would become the most likely targets at the D-I level or the conference could turn to D-II for upgrades.

Big West - Expanded to 10 members and seems content. UCSD applied for membership along with CSU-Bakersfield but both were denied membership. Should things get crazy in California or budget problems became worse, SJSU and/or Sac St could consider membership.

Horizon - Stable at 10. No member appears to be leaving anytime soon.

Metro Atlantic - Stable at 10, no expansion imminent.

Summit League - Has reduced conference footprint greatly. Happy at 10 members but Oral Roberts could consider leaving for more regional Southland conference.

WCC - Stable at 9 members. Seattle University would jump at membership but conference is not interested.

Great West - Conference likely won’t be around much longer. Texas Pan American and Houston Baptist could join the Southland conference. Would only leave Chicago State, NJIT, and Utah Valley. Conference would then add independents Longwood and CSUB if still available. All schools would jump at any opportunity to leave.

Last edited by SJSUFan2010 on Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:10 am, edited 12 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:51 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

IMO the Atlantic Sun is in the greatest long-term danger:

Lipscomb is now the conference's only member in Nashville, and would long to be reunited with Belmont.

Once Kennesaw State adds football, the Big South or Southern Conference could take them (the latter really only being likely if Georgia Southern upgrades). Even a depleted Southland or OVC could add them.

If ETSU restarts football, they are most certainly gone.

South Carolina-Upstate is safe for now, but sits in the footprint of too many other conferences that can affect the A-Sun.

Mercer will likely never be an attractive candidate unless if they add scholarships to their football program.

Jacksonville and North Florida are safe, unless if the SoCon winds up with a bunch of vacancies.

Only Stetson and FGCU are safe, simply because there is nowhere else to go. Each school would probably have to be willing to move to FBS to get a look.

If the WAC could grow to 14-16 in football, a depleted Atantic Sun could reinvent itself by inviting the southern contingent of the WAC, who could have access to Florida for Olympic sport recruiting.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:19 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Great stuff, guys. When there's more feedback from others added, I'll create a page on the CSI main site with everyones contributions. Seems like a page that was meant to exist there too as well as here in the forums!

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:12 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

in favor of the idea.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:42 pm 
Senior
Senior

Updated for recent movements

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:21 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Some notes:
ACC will never add USF. Miami and FSU (if they're still around) would never allow it. The Big 3 have no need for a big 4 in Florida. Also, they are horrible academically.
I don't see the Big East ever stooping to the level of ECU. If it comes to that, the BBall schools will split and the Big East will probably dissolve.
Big 12 - Same as with Big East involving SDSU. If they ever come to that, the conference will just be a shell of its former self already.
Pac 12 - Baylor? Also, I might add BYU to that list.
CUSA - Troy offers little to nothing

Also, you mentioned the A-10 as stable. They are about as stable as the Balkans in 1913. Thing is ready to blow up the second the dominoes begin to fall.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:38 pm 
Senior
Senior

ACCSeminole wrote:
Some notes:
ACC will never add USF. Miami and FSU (if they're still around) would never allow it. The Big 3 have no need for a big 4 in Florida. Also, they are horrible academically.
I don't see the Big East ever stooping to the level of ECU. If it comes to that, the BBall schools will split and the Big East will probably dissolve.
Big 12 - Same as with Big East involving SDSU. If they ever come to that, the conference will just be a shell of its former self already.

Also, you mentioned the A-10 as stable. They are about as stable as the Balkans in 1913. Thing is ready to blow up the second the dominoes begin to fall.

ACC- That's just the point, with FSU gone there could be a push for another Florida school (so each division has a Florida school again). While the schools I list are generally in no particular order, the ones I put last are the longer shots.

Big East- If the ACC does what I (and Fresnoalum) think and preemptively strike the Big East and grab 3 schools then yes, ECU is very much on the table. I don't know why you think the Big East wouldn't. Look at how C-USA from 10 years ago is being reformed in the Big East. But the basketball schools won't be doing the splitting off. ND wouldn't go with them and it's the football schools that are the good basketball schools as well. They're learning that they don't run the show anymore.

B12- Same point as above. But I agree, the conference would probably fold before it went all the way to SD. Only reason I think it happens is if SDSU continues its recent success and Texas wants to keep the conference around for non football sports when it goes indy. Would be better than the Southland.

C-USA- This conference is in a ton of trouble. When the trickle down hits them AT LEAST 1 school (maybe as many as 3) are headed to the Big East. At which point 2 schools in the West are probably headed to the MWC. That puts them at 7. I've heard rumors that Houston could end up in the B12 as well. At which point Tulane, Tulsa, and Rice have to decide if they want to continue in C-USA (which will add more eastern schools) or go for the new Texas based WAC. Regardless of if they do, I doubt Troy wouldn't make the short list of candidates. But I'm going to throw in UTSA and Texas St to this list.

Pac-12- Good call, I'll throw them in there. But Baylor is only there if Texas chooses to go Indy AND Tech and Baylor are a package deal. If Tech would go alone then definitely BYU. Baylor to C-USA could be good for that conference too.

A-10- That's why it says "Stable, for now." This is from the point of view of the conference. The conference is not expanding right now, nor does it need to. It will only expand if they lose members to the Big East or C-USA. If there is no Big East split (which frankly seems unlikely to me now) there is no danger to the conference. At worst Charlotte to C-USA, this is hardly a game changer.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:53 am 
Freshman
Freshman

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
ACCSeminole wrote:
Some notes:

ACC- That's just the point, with FSU gone there could be a push for another Florida school (so each division has a Florida school again). While the schools I list are generally in no particular order, the ones I put last are the longer shots.

Big East- If the ACC does what I (and Fresnoalum) think and preemptively strike the Big East and grab 3 schools then yes, ECU is very much on the table. I don't know why you think the Big East wouldn't. Look at how C-USA from 10 years ago is being reformed in the Big East. But the basketball schools won't be doing the splitting off. ND wouldn't go with them and it's the football schools that are the good basketball schools as well. They're learning that they don't run the show anymore.

B12- Same point as above. But I agree, the conference would probably fold before it went all the way to SD. Only reason I think it happens is if SDSU continues its recent success and Texas wants to keep the conference around for non football sports when it goes indy. Would be better than the Southland.

C-USA- This conference is in a ton of trouble. When the trickle down hits them AT LEAST 1 school (maybe as many as 3) are headed to the Big East. At which point 2 schools in the West are probably headed to the MWC. That puts them at 7. I've heard rumors that Houston could end up in the B12 as well. At which point Tulane, Tulsa, and Rice have to decide if they want to continue in C-USA (which will add more eastern schools) or go for the new Texas based WAC. Regardless of if they do, I doubt Troy wouldn't make the short list of candidates. But I'm going to throw in UTSA and Texas St to this list.

Pac-12- Good call, I'll throw them in there. But Baylor is only there if Texas chooses to go Indy AND Tech and Baylor are a package deal. If Tech would go alone then definitely BYU. Baylor to C-USA could be good for that conference too.

A-10- That's why it says "Stable, for now." This is from the point of view of the conference. The conference is not expanding right now, nor does it need to. It will only expand if they lose members to the Big East or C-USA. If there is no Big East split (which frankly seems unlikely to me now) there is no danger to the conference. At worst Charlotte to C-USA, this is hardly a game changer.

ACC - The elite academic schools (UNC, UVA, Duke, Wake, BC, GT, etc.) in the ACC will never let such a bottom-feeder in the ACC. They have too much pride to let a directional school with nil credibility in the conference.

Big East - You obviously don't understand how far down ECU is in prestige. They'd fast track Charlotte to D1-A before they let in ECU. ECU brings nothing.

Big 12 - If the Big 12 gets bad enough to consider SDSU, it seems to me that the MWC would be just as good or even better than the Big 12. That is how bad the Big 12 would have to get to consider this. If your SDSU why leave the MWC where you have great regional rivalries from some mediocre teams in Texas and the plains?

CUSA - The scenario above makes more sense than Troy. Dissolution comes before Troy. But, half the Sun Belt teams come before Troy as well. They may dominate the SBC, but its the SBC. Who cares? The only reason to reach down there is for the markets and troy can't compete with FAU, FIU, MTSU, or N. Texas in that aspect.

Pac 12 - I'll agree with that, but I think Tech would be smart to abandon Baylor. If this super-conference stuff comes about, it seems to me Tech is in the Pac -?? anyway. Why handcuff yourself to a school almost everyone agrees never deserved the Big 12 (thanks, Ann Richardson) anyway and risk your chances at staying in a BCS conference.

A-10. I guess it's all how you look at it. For now, yes they are stable, but I was seeing this from a post-super conference realignment and I think this conference is ripe for change.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:02 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

USF in ACC is as likely as Cincy in the Big Ten. ACC can loose 3 schools like FSU, Clemson, GA Tech and STILL cherry pick from any other non P12/B10/SEC conference.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:53 pm 
Senior
Senior

ACCSeminole wrote:
SJSUFan2010 wrote:
ACCSeminole wrote:
Some notes:

ACC - The elite academic schools (UNC, UVA, Duke, Wake, BC, GT, etc.) in the ACC will never let such a bottom-feeder in the ACC. They have too much pride to let a directional school with nil credibility in the conference.

Big East - You obviously don't understand how far down ECU is in prestige. They'd fast track Charlotte to D1-A before they let in ECU. ECU brings nothing.

Big 12 - If the Big 12 gets bad enough to consider SDSU, it seems to me that the MWC would be just as good or even better than the Big 12. That is how bad the Big 12 would have to get to consider this. If your SDSU why leave the MWC where you have great regional rivalries from some mediocre teams in Texas and the plains?

CUSA - The scenario above makes more sense than Troy. Dissolution comes before Troy. But, half the Sun Belt teams come before Troy as well. They may dominate the SBC, but its the SBC. Who cares? The only reason to reach down there is for the markets and troy can't compete with FAU, FIU, MTSU, or N. Texas in that aspect.

Pac 12 - I'll agree with that, but I think Tech would be smart to abandon Baylor. If this super-conference stuff comes about, it seems to me Tech is in the Pac -?? anyway. Why handcuff yourself to a school almost everyone agrees never deserved the Big 12 (thanks, Ann Richardson) anyway and risk your chances at staying in a BCS conference.

A-10. I guess it's all how you look at it. For now, yes they are stable, but I was seeing this from a post-super conference realignment and I think this conference is ripe for change.

ACC- As we've said many times on this forum (and you say this a couple paragraphs later), it's markets and dollars that drive expansion. It probably won't be academics that drive expansion this time around. If the ACC lost 2 and went to 14 or 16, I'd put money on USF.

Big East- I don't know what you're not getting here. If I flip Memphis and ECU and reiterate that the long shots are listed at the end will you be happy then? They are definitely a potential school if the Big East loses 2-3 schools.

Big 12- The answer to your question seems obvious. SDSU would leave because the Big 12 would be an AQ conference as long as it has Texas. And the money is way better in even a Big 12 forced to add BYU, AFA, UNLV, SDSU ect ect.

C-USA- I admit, C-USA is in no particular order because it's way too early to guess how the trickle down will hit them. N. Texas only joins if SMU leaves. FIU and FAU only join if UCF leave. I can guess what the conference might look like in a few months, but there are plenty of scenarios that put C-USA between 7-12 members. Now, there are options in the NE like Temple and UMass, or along the Atlantic Coast like Charlotte or the Florida schools, but if C-USA loses 3 Texas schools and goes that far East, Tulane, Rice and Tulsa could join the WAC.

With what C-USA stands to lose, Troy is very much on the table. The C-USA name brand alone is worth too much to let the conference fold. But I'll add MTSU and WKU. I don't know why I didn't put them.

Pac-12- Agreed but that's the reality Tech may face.

A-10- Yup, they certainly could be the biggest losers when this is done.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:08 am 
Freshman
Freshman

The Big East, ACC & Big 12 are meeting to discuss realignment. Before the bigger conferences tear them apart, maybe they should just merge into two big conferences:

Atlantic East Conference
North Division
Boston College
Connecticut
Maryland
Rutgers
Syracuse
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
South Division
Clemson
Duke
Florida St.
Georgia Tech
Miami
North Carolina
North Carolina St.
South Florida

Big Midwest Conference
North Division
Cincinnati
Iowa St.
Kansas
Kansas St.
Louisville
Missouri
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
South Division
Baylor
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Christian
Texas Tech
Houston (from Conference USA)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:39 pm 
Senior
Senior

flasah wrote:
The Big East, ACC & Big 12 are meeting to discuss realignment. Before the bigger conferences tear them apart, maybe they should just merge into two big conferences:

Atlantic East Conference
North Division
Boston College
Connecticut
Maryland
Rutgers
Syracuse
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
South Division
Clemson
Duke
Florida St.
Georgia Tech
Miami
North Carolina
North Carolina St.
South Florida

Big Midwest Conference
North Division
Cincinnati
Iowa St.
Kansas
Kansas St.
Louisville
Missouri
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
South Division
Baylor
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Christian
Texas Tech
Houston (from Conference USA)

I have been wondering if that's the plan too. That or they've all agreed to only raid C-USA and the MWC so that the 6 BCS conferences stay on top as the only AQ conferences.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:23 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

First draft is up and running...

http://collegesportsinfo.com/conference ... ment-grid/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:00 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quinn wrote:

Looks sharp, I dig it. Glad you liked the idea.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:04 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn wrote:

Nice work guys, I have a few suggestions...

ACC- Appeared stable until the recent Big 12 realignment and SEC expansion developments. If the ACC were to lose schools to the SEC or Big Ten, the likely replacement would come from the pool of Big East schools including Syracuse, UConn, Rutgers, Pittsburgh, WVU, Louisville, and even Temple as a longshot.

Big East- Is actively looking to expand to 10 football members, could consider football expansion to 12, but would prefer football only candidates. If the SEC expands, there will likely be trickle down with the Big East losing schools to ACC, SEC, Big 12, and the Big Ten.

There is also a possibility that the Big East football schools could leave and form a new all sports conference leaving the non-football Big East yo expand by adding 2-4 members such as Xavier, Dayton, Richmond, Charlotte, St. Louis, etc.

CUSA - Stable but members could be targeted by several other conferences such as the Big East (Houston, UCF, Memphis, ECU), Big 12 (Houston, SMU), and the Mountain West. Should CUSA need to add replacements, potential candidates include North Texas, Temple, Charlotte, MTSU, Louisiana Tech, ULL, Troy, UTSA, Texas St., New Mexico St., FAU and FIU. CUSA could also be a landing spot for many of the Big East and Big 12 leftovers after the super conferences form including Kansas, K St, Iowa St, Baylor, TCU, USF, Cinncy, and Louisville.

MAC - Western Kentucky, Iowa St, MTSU as longshot options... could also be a home for Villanova football if they ever upgrade to FBS without a Big East invitation.

Sun Belt- Currently at 10 football members and 11 for all sports. Could consider current WAC members Louisiana Tech and New Mexico St or FCS upgrades like App St if they look to expand to 12 football members. UNCC could join as a football only member after completing their upgrade to FBS, keeping all other sports in the A10 like Temple and UMass.