NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:45 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:03 am 
Senior
Senior

An interesting article a friend sent me recently. Not sure if it has been posted anywhere else yet but definitely something that would have an effect on multiple conferences.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/c ... 606.column

In it the writer says:

"According to Sentinel sources, the BCS board of directors has suggested that to continue operating, it needs six automatic qualifying conferences. That opens the door for the Mountain West and Conference USA to try and gather new friends and walk on in. Both have been on the outside looking in when it comes to the BCS party and would love to finally write their own invitation."

Many different scenarios come to mind. Knowing that the BCS will still have 6 conferences despite superconferences makes it possible that the BCS might keep the rule of 2 spots per conference in BCS games. That's bad news for for some schools that may be heading to big conferences that may find they are #3 of 16 instead of #2 of 12. On the flip side, this could encourage the Big 12 and Big East to find a way to rebuild and keep their AQ status. Who knows, maybe the Big 12 name is enough to lure the top MWC and C-USA schools even if UT and OU are gone. And a Big East raid of C-USA ensures that that the Big 12 is #5 and the Big East is #6.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:12 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Process has seemed pretty straight forward: If Big 12 folds, some members (now, likely ALL...5 remaining with 7 Big East = 12 total) join with Big East schools in either the Big East or the Big 12. Doesn't matter. Question becomes hybrid or no hybrid and if BE basketball schools are talking split, than I would think a BE FB move to Big 12 is the most logic.

And then the MWC takes over the BCS #6 spot. No need for a new game, new autobid. I FULLY expect the BCS to DROP within WEEKS of the Pac14 or 16, SEC 13 or 14, ACC14 the "2 SCHOOL MAXIMUM" for conference schools in the BCS. You'd have the 6 autobids and 4 at-large but it would mean that no longer would schools ranked #6, #8 etc being left out in favor of a lower ranked at-large. Of course, you'll still have low ranked Big East/B12, ACC and MWC (non BSU years) autobids making the games less appealing, where the at-large schools will be favored heavily over the autobirths. Just is what it is if the Big 12/BE power will be a Uconn or a Kansas, etc.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:37 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quinn wrote:
Process has seemed pretty straight forward: If Big 12 folds, some members (now, likely ALL...5 remaining with 7 Big East = 12 total) join with Big East schools in either the Big East or the Big 12. Doesn't matter. Question becomes hybrid or no hybrid and if BE basketball schools are talking split, than I would think a BE FB move to Big 12 is the most logic.

And then the MWC takes over the BCS #6 spot. No need for a new game, new autobid. I FULLY expect the BCS to DROP within WEEKS of the Pac14 or 16, SEC 13 or 14, ACC14 the "2 SCHOOL MAXIMUM" for conference schools in the BCS. You'd have the 6 autobids and 4 at-large but it would mean that no longer would schools ranked #6, #8 etc being left out in favor of a lower ranked at-large. Of course, you'll still have low ranked Big East/B12, ACC and MWC (non BSU years) autobids making the games less appealing, where the at-large schools will be favored heavily over the autobirths. Just is what it is if the Big 12/BE power will be a Uconn or a Kansas, etc.

There are 6 AQ spots now, there will be 6 AQ spots later. I'm not sure why you expect them to drop the 2 rule limit if the number of AQs isn't changing. Most likely a second Pac-16, SEC, ACC, and Big 10 team make it until the Big East or MWC reach their level.

Seems like UT and Co are leaving so yeah, you are probably right. But it seemed like a done deal before and they backed out, so I'll believe it when I see a handshake.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:52 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Quinn wrote:

There are 6 AQ spots now, there will be 6 AQ spots later. I'm not sure why you expect them to drop the 2 rule limit if the number of AQs isn't changing. Most likely a second Pac-16, SEC, ACC, and Big 10 team make it until the Big East or MWC reach their level.

Seems like UT and Co are leaving so yeah, you are probably right. But it seemed like a done deal before and they backed out, so I'll believe it when I see a handshake.

You realize that the big schools basically run the BCS, so why not drop that rule? If not they could start a new post season organization. Just add the Cotton Bowl as the 6th BCS game and we're good...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:54 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn wrote:

So then why would we need to merge w/ CUSA? why not just take 2 or 4 schools for 12/14?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:08 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Quinn wrote:

So then why would we need to merge w/ CUSA? why not just take 2 or 4 schools for 12/14?

Exactly. No need to if the 6th AQ spot goes to them. They can just get TCU back along with Houston, SMU, UTEP, USU, and SJSU (or leave out the last two and stay at 14)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:48 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Quinn wrote:

Exactly. No need to if the 6th AQ spot goes to them. They can just get TCU back along with Houston, SMU, UTEP, USU, and SJSU (or leave out the last two and stay at 14)

If they got an AQ BYU would rejoin...so thats 12 w/ TCU

If CUSA gets USF/Cinncy/ISU/KSU for 16 then I think USU/SJSU/Baylor/UTEP would be great (swap for LA Tech or UNT in CUSA)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:55 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

TCU would be in the BEB conf. w/ Houston, UCF, ECU for 12. We take BYU, SMU, maybe UTEP, Memphis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:26 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
TCU would be in the BEB conf. w/ Houston, UCF, ECU for 12. We take BYU, SMU, maybe UTEP, Memphis

As of today yes, but if the Big East loses WVU to the SEC and UConn and Rutgers to the ACC along with ND and another non football member, forget about it. TCU is out of that mess which would probably have to include Temple, ECU, Memphis, a Nova upgrade, SMU and heck, maybe they'll need a Western Michigan (ok, maybe not that bad).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:31 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

As of today yes, but if the Big East loses WVU to the SEC and UConn and Rutgers to the ACC along with ND and another non football member, forget about it. TCU is out of that mess which would probably have to include Temple, ECU, Memphis, a Nova upgrade, SMU and heck, maybe they'll need a Western Michigan (ok, maybe not that bad).

KU, KSU, Mizzou, Baylor, ISU, UL, UC, USF and an AQ>MWC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:45 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:

1st Kansas and Mizzou will go somewhere and it won't be the BEB12, ACC or B1G (or SEC for MU)

Didn't they leave a conference w/ UL, UC, USF, UCF, UH, SMU, Memphis, and ECU to join the MWC?

MWC w/ TCU, Baylor, BYU > CUSA 2.0

But yeah its all about how the AQ thing shakes out...after reading this it sounds like there may not be a BE/B12 conference, the BCS may grant CUSA/MWC an AQ to expand the number of schools in the BCS and they would take the leftovers...if a BE/B12 forms then CUSA is basically SB 2.0 and they may also take BYU while poaching Boise Air Force and a few others from the MWC to make 5th almost but not quite AQ worthy conference but it would ruin the chance of a 6th AQ conference from ever starting and merging the remaining MWC/CUSA schools won't do the trick. They'd be like the MAC.

If the TCU decides to just stay in the MWC (since they haven't officially moved yet) then they could appeal to BYU/Baylor/UTEP/USU/SJSU to join (nice footprint) while CUSA adds the good teams in the East like USF, Cinncy, Iowa St, K St, Temple/LA Tech. That's the only way it'll be possible to have 6 AQ after the super conference Armageddon of 2011...or 2012 (o crap the Mayan's were right!)<<<if this carrier over till 2012 you know you'll hear this

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:34 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

That's nice and all but they have an AQ and we don't. Give me your break down? where does KU go. They just said as long as there are 5 left in the B12 they'll bring in others and carry on. :? :lol: The best part is where NU and CU will regret leaving.

ACC would take Rutgers and UConn, SEC stops w/ Mizzou or WVU. B1G stay at 12? Show ND the sky fell? Pac take you 4. TT gets hustled out of the last spot by KU?

http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node ... z1YSaPZxdr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:10 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
That's nice and all but they have an AQ and we don't. Give me your break down? where does KU go. They just said as long as there are 5 left in the B12 they'll bring in others and carry on. :? :lol: The best part is where NU and CU will regret leaving.

ACC would take Rutgers and UConn, SEC stops w/ Mizzou or WVU. B1G stay at 12? Show ND the sky fell? Pac take you 4. TT gets hustled out of the last spot by KU?

http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node ... z1YSaPZxdr

If ND is truly off the table and tell the B1G and ACC that they are staying Indy and in the BE bball redux conference in all sports then I see the ACC grabbing UConn and Rutgers, if the SEC grabs Mizzou this stops since Kansas/WVU aren't that valuable to the B1G, but if Mizzou is sitting in limbo because the SEC goes with WVU then I think the B1G will start the year long process of triple checking with ND again if it's okay to add them and nobody wants 13 so KU fits in as a natural 14, and you have two 16 conferences and two 14s waiting to raid the ACC.

Then again I think the SEC wants to go to 16, and quick, they don't like being a follower. They saw the pac16 last year and have already approved these moves with the conference during the A&M talks. The ACC was a slap in the face to them so taking a school even if it's Clemson will sooth their ego and with Mizzou and WVU begging to get in that makes an easy 16. Then Kansas takes the final ACC spot (geography be damned) unless they start worrying about travel then Nova/Temple/Lville could slide in nicely but the AAU thing would mean a lot to the ACC plus they are obviously going after Bball teams so it works.

Plus if the B1G raids ten for BC/Cuse/Rutg/Maryland they could go west after Lville/ISU/KSU for a nice western pod. So Kansas will go somewhere, may e not right away but sooner rather than later, if everyone renegotiates their TV contracts but the B1G you know they'll want to expand to do the same. If the PAC16 happens then KU is safe....eventually.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:26 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I don't know if I posted it on here but Andy Katz said and it's going on the bottom line right now that ND prefers Indy/BE but if they HAVE to join a conf. they want the ACC over the B1G. So how long does the ACC wait until they say look we are taking UConn and Rutgers now unless you want one of the spots.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:35 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
I don't know if I posted it on here but Andy Katz said and it's going on the bottom line right now that ND prefers Indy/BE but if they HAVE to join a conf. they want the ACC over the B1G. So how long does the ACC wait until they say look we are taking UConn and Rutgers now unless you want one of the spots.

Tomorrow and then Rutgers is out in the cold...UConn/ND sounds good, basketball will be sick...

KU/MU to B1G w/ Rutgers and....????? Iowa St (AAU)