NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:16 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 78  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:42 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

wbyeager wrote:
South Dakota (and North Dakota) becomes a Division I member at the start of the 2012-13 academic year. Nebraska-Omaha (the first Division II upgrade after the moratorium) becomes a Division I member at the start of the 2015-16 academic year. Once a school completes its transitional status, it becomes an active member unless if subject to a penalty under APR.

So if UMKC and ORU left:

North Dakota State (Active)
South Dakota (2012)
South Dakota State (Active)
Nebraska-Omaha (2016)
Western Illinois (Active)
IUPUI (Active)
IPFW (Active)
Oakland, MI (Active)

By the time UMKC left, South Dakota will count as an active member.

If further losses happen, here is the glass to be broken in case of emergency:

Chicago State (Active) - forced to resign from the Summit when it was the Mid-Continent, still very much near the center of the conference footprint
UTPA (Active) - dismissed from the Sun Belt in 1998 for failure to maintain certification with the NCAA
Houston Baptist (2011) - completed reclassfication from NAIA, now an active member of Division I
UALR (Active) - content as a member of the Sun Belt, but literally the odd school out in an FBS conference; may be on Southland's radar as well, and doesn't make much sense without ORU and UMKC
North Dakota (2012) - still has nickname issue to resolve, and would need a place to park its football program
Utah Valley (Active) - would prefer the Big Sky or WAC
Longwood (Active) - would probably be happy to be in a conference not named the Great West
NJIT (Active) - would be happy to get out of the Great West
Eastern Illinois (Active) - probably content in the OVC, but I'm sure MVFC membership (perhaps alongside North Dakota?) might be the motivation they need to leave the geographically tight OVC

If UMKC and ORU leave, adding North Dakota also screws up travel pairings, as Nebraska-Omaha would likely get paired with Western Illinois.

pretty good predictions here. the only thing i dont agree with are the schools that the SL would target. i dont see any of the texas schools being targeted if ORU/KC left. the SL has worked very hard to get rid of their outliers & wouldnt add schools even farther once the closest schools to texas would be leaving. i think the only viable candidates would be chicago state, north dakota, eastern illinois, northern kentucky & bellarmine.

i want to say i read somewhere that NKU was looking elsewhere for a home though. bellarmine also hasnt had any news lately about their wanting to transition up to d1. eastern illinois would only leave if they were able to join the mvfc with north dakota. unfortunately for north dakota, the powers that be in that state refuse to accommodate the wishes of the ncaa & might ultimately lose their post season(s) & conference home in the big sky. the SL wont even talk to north dakota until their legal issues are resolved. they would be a great addition, but not until they resolve their name issue. chicago state still hasnt really resolved any of their academic issues & would be a last resort for the SL to target again. they are a perfect market & right smack in the center of the SL's footprint, but were asked to leave.

but to be honest, i dont see ORU or KC going anywhere in the near future. if anything KC might bounce but some big things would have to shake up the d1 world to get ORU to leave.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:28 pm 
Senior
Senior

Posted by diabsoule in the Southland thread

ORU confirms talks with Southland Conference

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article. ... ss_lnk=440

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:31 pm 
Senior
Senior

If ORU left, that puts them at 9 (with UNO). Not really any good targets, unless they can convince MVFC to add UND and convince UND that the SL would be better for them than the Big Sky.

I suppose they could see if Chicago State has it's act together yet - they are a good bridge between east and west.

If the OVC doesn't take NKU, they would be a possibility, as would Bellarmine if they moved up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:54 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

dbackjon wrote:
If ORU left, that puts them at 9 (with UNO). Not really any good targets, unless they can convince MVFC to add UND and convince UND that the SL would be better for them than the Big Sky.

I suppose they could see if Chicago State has it's act together yet - they are a good bridge between east and west.

If the OVC doesn't take NKU, they would be a possibility, as would Bellarmine if they moved up.

Senior reports guy insists that NKU is going to the OVC. There is another that wants to be D-I. Bellarmine (aka Notre Dame of Louisville) who just won the D-II national title in bball last year would join the Summit if invited.

However I think someone should tell GVSU to move to D-I, they have 25,000 students and are great at fb and bball. N.Dakota, GVSU could join the MVFC for 12. Add all 3 as Summit members for 12, go E/W div.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:05 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

Senior reports guy insists that NKU is going to the OVC. There is another that wants to be D-I. Bellarmine (aka Notre Dame of Louisville) who just won the D-II national title in bball last year would join the Summit if invited.

However I think someone should tell GVSU to move to D-I, they have 25,000 students and are great at fb and bball. N.Dakota, GVSU could join the MVFC for 12. Add all 3 as Summit members for 12, go E/W div.

GVSU would be a good travel partner - both large state schools in Michigan

GVSU-OU
IUPUI-IPFW
USD-SDSU
UND-NDSU
UNO-UMKC

Only non-paired in that scenario are WIU and Bellarmine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:17 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Been prepping for some time now that ORU would leave the Summit for the Southland. It's always made sense. And it could be a positive for the Summit too. They would really tighten that footprint with ORU gone. It's odd because at this level of college sports, that's often a positive as it decreases travel costs and helps build the conference brand. There are talks of the tourney moving to Ohama, but I think a swap between Omaha and Sioux Falls is safe enough to keep the identity: the Summit IS the conference for this region of the country.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:36 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Quinn wrote:
Been prepping for some time now that ORU would leave the Summit for the Southland. It's always made sense. And it could be a positive for the Summit too. They would really tighten that footprint with ORU gone. It's odd because at this level of college sports, that's often a positive as it decreases travel costs and helps build the conference brand. There are talks of the tourney moving to Ohama, but I think a swap between Omaha and Sioux Falls is safe enough to keep the identity: the Summit IS the conference for this region of the country.

it would be a bit sad to see ORU leave TSL but there are pros for both sides. travel is definitely a benefit for both. other then omaha, iupui & oakland could also host TSL tourney at lucas oil stadium, the palace of auburn hills, ford field or the renovated silverdome after its completion.

now that UND's naming situation is taken care of, it would be in TSL best interest to push for a split UND membership between TSL/MVFC. solidifying the northern midwest should be priority #1 for douple & getting to 12 schools #2.

i would love the idea of GVSU transitioning up to D1, but as mentioned earlier in this thread i dont think ive heard ANYTHING about GVSU changing their mind on being a big fish in a small pond in D2. im also a big fan of NKU & bellarmine but it looks as if NKU is going to the OVC & no news out of bellarmine in months about a transition.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:26 pm 
Senior
Senior

I have no idea if either school would look to move up to Division I in the near future, but I think it is worth noting that Minnesota-Duluth and St. Cloud State are the two Minnesota schools in the NCHC. That puts them above the rest of the D-II Minnesota schools, and if they ever wanted to move up the Summit would be their natural home. Fellow NCHC member Nebraska-Omaha will already be there if they decided to make the move.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:35 am 
All-Star
All-Star

GVSU is not looking to move, I was just saying it would be nice for them to and UND could move to the Summit/MVFC w GVSU.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:00 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
GVSU is not looking to move, I was just saying it would be nice for them to and UND could move to the Summit/MVFC w GVSU.

im right there with you. i would be a huge fan of GVSU moving up, especially to TSL.

dafoeberezin3494 wrote:
I have no idea if either school would look to move up to Division I in the near future, but I think it is worth noting that Minnesota-Duluth and St. Cloud State are the two Minnesota schools in the NCHC. That puts them above the rest of the D-II Minnesota schools, and if they ever wanted to move up the Summit would be their natural home. Fellow NCHC member Nebraska-Omaha will already be there if they decided to make the move.

the problem with minnesota state duluth/mankato & st. cloud state is all 3 schools have football programs. i would rather have mankato than duluth. the owner of the timberwolves is a mankato alum & donated a huge chunk of money for their new basketball stadium. also the academics of the 3 schools, mankota & st. cloud state are miles ahead of duluth.

ever since simon fraser moved to D2 from the CIS, i always thought windsor would be a great addition to the ncaa. only 30 minutes away from oakland without border crossing & when we played them this year, they were extremely competitive. ive been told theyre 1 of the top 3 basketball programs in the CIS. its probably a pipe dream but would love to have them as a travel partner/regional rivalry.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:41 am 
Freshman
Freshman

heres a picture of the taylor center (minnesota state mankato athletic facility) that glen taylor (timberwolves owner) helped build earlier this decade.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:30 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Any word on Wisconsin-Milwaukee starting football? I know the new AD said back in April that it was on the radar, but haven't heard anything sense. Adding UWM would allow North Dakota to join the MVFC, as the latter would move from 10 to 12:

MVFC North - North Dakota, North Dakota State, South Dakota, South Dakota State, UWM, Northern Iowa
MVFC South - Missouri State, Wesern Illinois, Illinois State, Southern Illinois, Indiana State, Youngstown State

Missouri State and UWM could be swapped for West and East Divisions, not that divisions mean much at the FCS level. UWM would of course keep its other sports parked in the Horizon League, while North Dakota would replace Oral Roberts in the Summit League should ORU leave for the Southland.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:55 am 
Senior
Senior

wbyeager wrote:
Any word on Wisconsin-Milwaukee starting football? I know the new AD said back in April that it was on the radar, but haven't heard anything sense. Adding UWM would allow North Dakota to join the MVFC, as the latter would move from 10 to 12:

MVFC North - North Dakota, North Dakota State, South Dakota, South Dakota State, UWM, Northern Iowa
MVFC South - Missouri State, Wesern Illinois, Illinois State, Southern Illinois, Indiana State, Youngstown State

Missouri State and UWM could be swapped for West and East Divisions, not that divisions mean much at the FCS level. UWM would of course keep its other sports parked in the Horizon League, while North Dakota would replace Oral Roberts in the Summit League should ORU leave for the Southland.

I actually go to UWM for grad school, and I haven't heard anything about starting football here. There's not really a viable stadium that would work. We have a nice on-campus soccer stadium, but it has only about 1,000 seats and is bordered by classroom buildings on three sides. I've watched a few games from the study room in my building.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:29 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/O ... alRo356632

SLC & ORU brass met today.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:41 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

KJS, good thing you're keeping up with the little guys, all the movement at the top has put the little guys on the back burner, when they are usually the only ones doing anything.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 78  Next