There's so much I like about the CAA...you can catch me on the forums there too.
for instance, I love the revenue split from the NCAA tourney. it's along the lines of 60% to all schools, and the other 40% split for those worthwhile. So schools that commit and success like VCU, GMU, ODU get a reward. In recent years, it's meant that these types of schools get 3-5x more than the bottom feeders.
I like that too.
The SEC has always been "one for all, and all for one" which breeds unity in a power conference, but breeds mediocrity in a small conference.
The A-10 is "make it, take it." Which breeds Xavier, Dayton, Temple and Rhode Island, St. Joe's with great or new good facilities, and Duquesne, St. Bona, LaSalle and Fordham playing in crappy gyms.
For the non-football schools in the CAA, I do see a huge advantage in GMU and VCU joining the A10...for the schools too… if you're GMU/VCU and you have 4 schools in UD/JMU/ODU and GSU considering FBS (leaving the CAA), wouldn't it make more sense to be proactive and join something that will always be basketball first?
Sure, the A10 would be there in the future...but both schools would be wise to look earlier.
I also think it's the other way around. In 2003, when the ACC raided the Big East, the A-10 was proactive:
They added Charlotte and Saint Louis because they anticipated the Big East splitting after five years and taking Xavier and Dayton.
Hasn't happened yet, but with conferences being discussed at 14 or 16 members, the idea that Xavier, Dayton, Saint Louis, and Richmond could all join the Big East Hoops Group seems more probable.
Temple is being talked about for all sports because of their FBS program.
UMass looking to upgrade to FBS, so they wouldn't be long for the league.
Charlotte adding FCS, so they can upgrade to FBS, and they can leave.
That's seven of your 14 teams that could be leaving in the near future, or down the line. (And those seven have 53 of the A-10's combined 68 bids since Xavier and UD joined the league).
Meanwhile, in the A10, even the bottom feeders are in a better spot: Fordham, at the very bottom, hired away Hofstra (of the CAA) coach (and Duquesne hired NU coach Everhart a few years back). St. B is in a tough spot, at the bottom. But after FU and StB, the "bottomfeeders" end up being programs like UMass and URI, whom have been in the Final Four and Elite 8, ranked #1 in the country before (UMass) and URI ranked high as well. Not bad history for a current bottomfeeder. Think Hofstra, Towson, NU, W&M, Drexel, UNCW, etc will be at that level one day?
Hey Hey Hey Hey Hey! LaSalle (2) and St. Bonaventure (1) combined have been to more Final Fours than Temple (2) and Xavier (0) combined! Better knock out that "bottomfeeder" talk before Bob Lanier's Size 22s hit you in the hindparts!
I for one like the idea of a 16 school A10 with 4 scheduling pods:
UMass, URI, St. Bonventure, Temple
Charlotte, Richmond, *VCU, *GMU
GW, St. Joes, Lasalle, Fordham
Duquesne, Xavier, Dayton, St. Louis
That'd be silly. They're way better off with 16 conference games. Play everyone once, and one extra game with:
DAY-XAV, TEM-SJU, LAS-FOR, SBU-DUQ, SLU-CHAR, RICH-VCU, GMU-GW, MASS-URI