NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:15 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 78  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:57 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

So are you saying they won't take a Private school now? They'll take who they can get, and like it. Bellarmine>UTPA or Chicago St.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:58 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

oakland may be a commuter school but they are far & wide the flagship school of the summit without ORU not any of the dakota schools, south dakota hasnt even played 1 game in TSL yet. LOL

Last edited by Kim Jong Skillz on Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:00 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
So are you saying they won't take a Private school now? They'll take who they can get, and like it. Bellarmine>UTPA or Chicago St.

Who knows what they would take - desperation makes strange bedfellows.

And yes, Bellarmine is better than those two options. NKU or GVSU would be better :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:09 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

gvsu isnt going anywhere for the foreseeable future. NKU would be a great addition but are being courted very heavily by the OVC. chicago state used to be in the TSL when it was the mid con, so if theyve cleaned up their act they MIGHT get an invite back. UND has resolved their name problem so the hybrid TSL/BSC is possible. UND can also leave the BSC without the exit fee for now.

st cloud state & minnesota state mankota/duluth could be d2 targets but both have the football problem. windsor could be a target as well but also have the problem of switching to the NCAA & then they also have a football program too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:31 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

dbackjon wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Who knows what they would take - desperation makes strange bedfellows.

And yes, Bellarmine is better than those two options. NKU or GVSU would be better :)

according to senior reports NKU to the OVC is a lock, and GVSU doesn't want to move to D-I. They like being bigger than Fresno St. and picking on D-II schools.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:21 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

western division
nd
ndsu
sd
sdsu
omaha
kansas city

eastern division
western illinois
fort wayne
iupui
oakland
bellarmine
grand valley state/northern kentucky/windsor/chicago state/eastern illinois

i would love to see this happen. really, TSL needs to add some more schools on the east side to balance out travel & divisions as all western members are along the i-29 corridor.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:27 pm 
Senior
Senior

ND might be a good option, but I see EIU and WIU joining the MVC in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:29 pm 
Senior
Senior

Unless you can solve the football issue by either:

1) Adding SL football
2) Convincing the MVFC to expand
3) MVFC is depleted by move-ups, needs to expand

you will not see UND or EIU in the Summit

OVC is a better basketball league than the Summit - and tighter geographically, even with EIU as the northernmost member.

No need to move to another conference for EIU.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:10 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

TSL wont add football. the mvfc would invite ND if they had a partner to move up with, or if youngstown state ever decided to bounce which has been rumored before. if ND had a partner to move up with, that would put them at 12 & could have separate divisions. IE nd & st cloud/minnesota state-mankota/minnisota state-duluth/windsor/grand valley state. all 5 of those schools have a fb program & are in division 2 or the CIS.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:44 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

With the OVC passing on expansion, and NKU's first choice being the OVC, I completely expect the Summit to extend an invitation to NKU and for NKU to accept. Makes too much sense when you look at their needs, what they bring to the table, and the Summits need for a new school. In the perfect world, there would be a football school to join the MVFC and for UND to make the switch to the Summit/MVFC, but that isn't gonna happen. But NKU would give the Summit a Cincy presence to add to the footprint without pushing it too far.

http://collegesportsinfo.com/ncaa-map/

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:16 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Cincinnati(previously posted in another thread)with comments from Summit League official and others regarding possible expansion with a school like NKU.Link at http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2011 ... ejects-NKU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:13 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Would the following expansion work / be feasible:
Northern Kentucky (no FB)
Southeast Missouri State (FB, from OVC)
North Dakota (FB, from Big Sky) ?

That would give 12 schools, and have 2 more for the MVFC to go to 12.

SUMMIT:
West -ND, NDSU, SD, SDSU, UNO, UMKC
East - SeMO, WIU, NKU, IUPUI, IPFW, Oakland

Would the MVFC be willing to expand to 12 ?
I honestly think that 12 w/ divisions might be sold well, in that travel could be reduced dramatically.

MVFC:
West - ND, NDSU, SD, SDSU, Northern Iowa, Missouri State
East - SeMO, WIU, SIU-C, Illinois State, Indiana State, Youngstown State

I think the guys in both divisions would prefer this, since it's less travel by eastern schools to the Dakotas....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:03 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

tute79 wrote:
Would the following expansion work / be feasible:
Northern Kentucky (no FB)
Southeast Missouri State (FB, from OVC)
North Dakota (FB, from Big Sky) ?

That would give 12 schools, and have 2 more for the MVFC to go to 12.

SUMMIT:
West -ND, NDSU, SD, SDSU, UNO, UMKC
East - SeMO, WIU, NKU, IUPUI, IPFW, Oakland

Would the MVFC be willing to expand to 12 ?
I honestly think that 12 w/ divisions might be sold well, in that travel could be reduced dramatically.

MVFC:
West - ND, NDSU, SD, SDSU, Northern Iowa, Missouri State
East - SeMO, WIU, SIU-C, Illinois State, Indiana State, Youngstown State

I think the guys in both divisions would prefer this, since it's less travel by eastern schools to the Dakotas....

Only thing is...the MVFC has the same pool now they had before. So they could have made a home for UND them and added a school like you mentioned for #12. But they didn't. So that means either the school wasn't interested or the MVFC wasn't.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:18 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn -

Yeah (referring to UNO, joining the Summit, and abruptly dropping football and wrestling).

I think Trev Alberts had a vision for them getting to the D-1 level, and the Nebraska legislature wasn't prepared to suddenly provide additional funding for everything.
I had HEARD (but maybe this is crap) that UN-Lincoln is THE D-1 football school, and it was known that the state wasn't going to fund competing FB schools within the state.
Alberts seemed to have decided that UN-Omaha would then establish itself by becoming THE D-1 hockey school in the state,
and made a big splash coaching hire, jumped to the WCHA, and then to the new NCHC.

So I'm not certain whether UNO explored MVFC membership, or the school internally decided to drop FB and re-allocate financial resources.
UNO moved so quickly (we didn't even know discussions were taking place) that I'm not sure there was time to lobby the MVFC.
I haven't seen any evidence as to which was the case. If you've come across any specifics, please post.

Tute

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:23 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

So if one of IUPUI, IPFW, or Oakland takes Butler's spot in the Horizon League, how would the Summit League react?

The remaining schools woud be:
2 of IUPUI/IPFW/Oakland
WIU/UKMC
Nebraska-Omaha/South Dakota
South Dakota State/North Dakota State

If the Summit could get the MVFC to add North Dakota (Big Sky) and Eastern Illinois (OVC), it would keep all of the I-29 corridor schools paired togehter, and give WIU a better in-conference rival.

Bellarmine would likely want to go to the Atlantic Sun with Northern Kentucky, who just joined that conference.

Minnesota State (Mankato), Minnesota-Duluth, and Saint Cloud State would probably be interested, but all would need to figure out what to do with their football programs as well. The SL might not want to take on any more upgrades from Division II as well.

If the conference is ready to make amends with Chicago State, they could work instead of Eastern Illinois, but that would complicate North Dakota's football situation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 78  Next