NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:18 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 956 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 64  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:32 pm 
Junior
Junior

I WISH the Big 12 schools would stand up to Texas and say we are INVITING Louisville and Cincinnati to the League NOW and you will LIKE it. That way they could finish off the BE and Mizzou could go to the SEC.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:44 am 
All-Star
All-Star

mizzoufan1 wrote:
I WISH the Big 12 schools would stand up to Texas and say we are INVITING Louisville and Cincinnati to the League NOW and you will LIKE it. That way they could finish off the BE and Mizzou could go to the SEC.

In the B12 Conference, does voting have to be unanimous to add a school or is Texas somehow rendered veto power? It would seem logical that if Texas is the only barrier to further adding, the other B12 schools could out-vote them. But if the case, is there fear and intimidation if votes go against Texas' wishes, the Longhorns will leave themselves, or exercise leverage by other means? I don't know the details and extent if such is the case; but if Texas is indeed in such a position to wield disproportionate power (and of course evidence has been shown of this in related matters), it is up to the other conference members to show backbone. That happened in releasing the immediate ex-commissioner of his duties.

I don't know how much of this, though, is holding up Mizzou's formal announcement. That said, the whole affair has its entanglements.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:42 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

sec03 wrote:
mizzoufan1 wrote:
I don't know how much of this, though, is holding up Mizzou's formal announcement. That said, the whole affair has its entanglements.

Missouri has to make sure their departure doesn't make them liable for any damages to the Big 12 (i.e. falling from 10 to 9 and violating the ESPN contract).

So they have to make sure WVU can replace them seamlessly. The Big East 27-month thing is holding up WVU, which is holding up Missouri.

Keep in mind, the Missouri to the SEC hasn't yet taken as long as Texas A&M to the SEC did.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:26 pm 
Senior
Senior

Sporting News reports that the SEC will announce Mizzou as it's 14th member early next week.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-footba ... -next-week

The hold up has been the SEC's desire to maximize the LSU-Alabama hype. They did not want the Mizzou announcement to possibly distract from that publicity. It's my feeling that the Mizzou/Big XII buyout was settled when the SEC website accidently announced Mizzou as the SEC's 14th team. The Big XII then invited WVU after considering Louisville. Apparently, the Big XII dropping to 9 members while waiting for the WVU/Big East exit negotiation had nothing to do with Missouri's delayed announcement. This makes sense considering the BIG XII did not mention Mizzou as playing next year in their conference. They could not have omitted that if they were still in negotiation with Mizzou.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:59 am 
All-Star
All-Star

St. Louis Newspapers reporting that Mizzou-to-SEC Press Conference scheduled for today...

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/ ... f6878.html

The author states that it is unclear how talks between SEC and Missouri were inititated, however I'm fairly certain that the
head of the SEC Presidents (Bernie Machens of U of Florida) used to be in teh administration at St. Louis U., so he probably has some Missouri contacts.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:05 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Welcome to the SEC, Missouri.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:34 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Just glad we can shut the door on the SEC for awhile. I dont' see them making any moves for quite3 a long time. Lets face it, the onyl schools that would improve this already great financial group would be Texas and Oklahoma. Others certianly could like VA Tech. But with the new-footprint-only-schools issue in effect, it means very few options.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:27 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I think at this point it has been determined that for now Missouri will join the SEC East.
Some talk (by sportscasters who may or may NOt know what they are talking about) suggests that Mizzou and A&M will become each other's cross-division rival...
We'll see, That will have to be figured out rather quickly, as it plays into creating the 2012 football schedule, and both schools will be playing FB in the SEC in 2012.

The conference should be able to function with 14 members for the indefinite future.

One gets the impression that the SEC doesn't feel any urgency about jumping up to 16, but 16 will likely be the ultimate number, and happen when the Big XII implodes in 6 years.
The SEC will be looking for some big time programs when they do go to 16.
If OU / OSU were to become #15 / 16, they could both be added to the SEC West, Missouri would move to the west, and Alabama / Auburn could both slide East for 8E + 8W.
But that's for another day...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:49 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn wrote:
Just glad we can shut the door on the SEC for awhile. I dont' see them making any moves for quite3 a long time. Lets face it, the onyl schools that would improve this already great financial group would be Texas and Oklahoma. Others certianly could like VA Tech. But with the new-footprint-only-schools issue in effect, it means very few options.

Quinn, I am pleased too the SEC expansion matter is over. Texas A&M and Mizzou are great additions, and I hope that holds for a long while. I think it is a positive that the ACC was not bothered in the process. Let's all face it, the B12 and BE had internal disunity, with quality schools wanting to move. The changes ultimately may be best for all concerned per the long-term.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Nashville with comments from Vanderbilt Vice- Chancellor for athletics regarding his belief that the SEC will have 16 schools within the next few years at http://news.vanderbilt.edu/2011/11/bot- ... -fall-2011

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:34 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I saw that comment (16 teams) too, but I don't buy it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:26 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

westwolf wrote:
I saw that comment (16 teams) too, but I don't buy it.

Absolutely agree. And the Vandy Veep is contradicting what several other SEC Presidents have said.

The Texas A&M addition was in the works for years and the right opportunity occurred to add them. Mizzou was wanting to leave the B12 and was an excellent and available choice to round out to 14.

I don't see the SEC wanting to raid the ACC anytime soon, and frankly the ACC looks pretty bonded, themselves. The B12 looks to be reaching for new stability, and OU w/ OSU apparently intend to hang together.

Unless the PAC12 and/or Big10 expand to 16, I doubt that the SEC will be motivated to expand further. The ACC could be the first BCS conference to go to 16 if UCONN and Rutgers (maybe ND) were added. Whether that would prompt any of the ACC's teams to look to go to the SEC is unclear. But the ACC would have a grasp on each current member's sentiment before embarking on further expansion.

Vandy may actually want to further diversify SEC competition from the traditional SEC powerhouses. As the SEC's only private institution, I can understand that perspective. But they will not have such comfort, because Rice and Tulane will not be on any near future search list of the SEC.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:47 pm 
Senior
Senior

Texas A&M emails discussing Texas and ESPN. Gives motives for move to SEC.

http://www.mrsec.com/2011/11/newly-rele ... ed-to-sec/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:46 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

For bb, the SEC, post-expansion, shall move to an increase of 2 conference games, with selected permanent divisional rivals and a rotation sequence.

http://www.thestate.com/sports/

click 14-team SEC will lead to unbalanced slate (12/28/2011)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:27 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

On my phone so no links but I'm reading on twitter that the SEC fb schedule is year to year for now since they want more time with all 14 members to review the possiblities of changing permanent rivalries (Ark/Mizzou A&M/SC), expanding to a 9 game conference slate, and obviously further expansion to 16...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 956 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 64  Next