NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:19 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: GREAT WEST Expansion
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:06 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Auto bid w/ NJIT, Chicago St., UTPA, Utah Valley :lol: HBU gone to the SLC, UND gone to Sky, USD gone to the Summit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:06 pm 
Senior
Senior

Maybe the NCAA will grant them some sort of temporary AQ status, but allow them to invite programs from D-II. Keeping AQ status long-term would then be contingent on having a minimum number of teams in the conference.

The problem is that each of the four remaining schools (NJIT, UTPA, Chicago State, Utah Valley) are all in a different part of the country - where do you build from?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:33 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

They could add Longwood and CSUB who passed on this mess already. Grand Canyon from D-II wants to be D-I so does UNA. UNA has better options w/ SLC, Big South, A-Sun. Longwood will probably hold out forever for A-Sun, Big South invite. CSUB would rather be Indy and just play the whole Big West w/o actually counting as a BW member. Incarnate Word will be joining the SLC when they move up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:23 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article from UVU paper with comments from GWC Commish regarding this Wednesday's meeting with the NCAA to try and get that league designated an NCAA multi-sports conference.They are apparently hoping to parlay that status into attracting expansion candidates like Longwood and CSUB.Link at http://www.uvureview.com/2012/01/09/the ... ce-shuffle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:16 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The only way this conference survives is if they get the ability to invite D2 upgrades. But, as stated earlier, with 4 schools standing from Utah to New Jersey and from the Texas Panhandle to Chicago, can you really build from that? Plus the NCAA just worked out a new TV contract, are they really going to allow the Great West to screw up their delicate alignment of the "First Four?" I just don't see this happening nor do I really think it should.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:31 pm 
Senior
Senior

accseahawk wrote:
The only way this conference survives is if they get the ability to invite D2 upgrades. But, as stated earlier, with 4 schools standing from Utah to New Jersey and from the Texas Panhandle to Chicago, can you really build from that? Plus the NCAA just worked out a new TV contract, are they really going to allow the Great West to screw up their delicate alignment of the "First Four?" I just don't see this happening nor do I really think it should.

They are still years away from an auto-bid, even if they are granted multi-sports status

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:36 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Rio Grande Valley with comments from GWC Commish,UTPA President,CSUB AD and others regarding NCAA multi-Sports designation status for the GWC at http://www.themonitor.com/sports/west-5 ... tatus.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:29 pm 
Junior
Junior

accseahawk wrote:

If C-USA and the Moutain West merge or form a league then there is room to add the Great West as an all-sports conference and has zero affect on the number of auto-bids...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:19 pm 
Senior
Senior

mizzoufan1 wrote:
accseahawk wrote:

If C-USA and the Moutain West merge or form a league then there is room to add the Great West as an all-sports conference and has zero affect on the number of auto-bids...

True, but a merged C-USA/MW might also invite some more schools including current WAC members. Maybe the WAC could absorb the Great West or just the teams they would want (Utah Valley, UTPA if the WAC stays in Texas, potential Great West target CSUB).

I don't think any of this will affect the NCAA Tournament or First Four. From what I know, NCAA tournaments need to have at least half of the available spots reserved for at-large berths. This would give the basketball tournament 31 automatic bids and 37 at-large bids, and technically mean that the NCAA could allow 3 more conferences to be created if they wanted to.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:30 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

I have a gut feeling that the Great West will get that automatic bid and that it will allow them to pickup schools that want to move to D1 status. I just dont a conference merger happening. Also here is the blog link to UTPA's sales pitch to the NCAA http://broncs.themonitor.com/2012/01/12 ... need-this/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:45 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

That would be nice for the D-II schools that want to move up but all it takes is the WAC swooping in and ending them. Or the MWC adding 2-4 WAC schools if they don't merge w/ CUSA. WAC back fills w/ CSUB, UVU, UTPA.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:30 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
That would be nice for the D-II schools that want to move up but all it takes is the WAC swooping in and ending them. Or the MWC adding 2-4 WAC schools if they don't merge w/ CUSA. WAC back fills w/ CSUB, UVU, UTPA.

Poor NJIT and Chicago St, no respect...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:24 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

NJIT just has to wait until the AEC invites a NEC school like CCSU. Then they can slide in at #12. Chicago St. has to beg the Summit for forgiveness and hope they can get back in.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:22 am 
Freshman
Freshman

If I am running the NCAA, I would either A.) Kill this conference and tell the remaining schools along with the conferences to pick them up or B.) Allow them to be a conference and wait three years to actually compete for automatic bids in order to recruit new schools.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:08 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

With the MWC/CUSA merger, they should go back to a 64-team basketball tournament.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next