NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:06 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:42 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

dbackjon wrote:
cnj wrote:
Quinn wrote:
cnj wrote:
Quinn wrote:
Some 70% of UMass total alumni live in the Boston area. So listing the Springfield market is a bit off.

I did check to see if it was listed under "colleges and universities in metropolitan Boston". Of the 52 institutions included, UMass-Amherst was not one of them.

In some cases, one needs to use logic, but that logic will be derived from experience.

I think you're adding subjectivity to a list that was never intended to be subjective. Which is good, since it was meant to generate discussion. But I stand by the data.

Point is, using just the local market may not be accurate.

App State has a market far larger than just Boone. App State has more of the Charlotte market than Charlotte does, especially in football.

Yes, App St. is a much better example than Houston is.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:45 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

you guys are over thinking it. UTEP already thinks they are moving to the west. Which is better than building a bridge between Nevada and Utah. If you put UTEP back in the east, their closet rival is Rice. You could fit NM and Ariz in that gab across TX. FIU is in a much better recruiting area, and there is always eastern bias. If they want to cave and add a bigger market that SJSU, UNT, USU, FIU don't bring anyway then just settle for UNT over FIU.

going beyond 18 is just adding for the sake of adding. If the SBC expands and they take SJSU, Idaho, NMSU, USU, they are adding just to add, they don't need any of those and are better off w/o them. If you aren't good enough for the SBC, you're not good enough for us.

Going to more than 18 will kill any cross over games basically becoming 2 conf. that agree to play a bowl game. I want to see us play ECU, So.Miss and Tulsa. Otherwise why be in a "conference" w/ them. If they just wanted to go w/ a fb only alliance then it makes more sense to have 20 and just play a championship.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:48 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Tulsa World article with comments from Tulsa AD regarding recent C-USA AD meetings concerning future conference realignment at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/a ... emphi84452

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:10 am 
Senior
Senior

List of 11 schools that has contacted the new league

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... mwc-league

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:44 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

seanbo wrote:

"The schools that have been in contact with either league are: Idaho, Louisiana Tech, New Mexico State, San Jose State, Texas State, Texas-San Antonio and Utah State from the WAC; Florida Atlantic, Florida International and North Texas from the Sun Belt; and Charlotte from the Atlantic 10."

Charlotte is the most interesting, and I'm shocked that UMass, Buffalo, Ohio, and Miami OH haven't been contacted...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:56 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Maybe because the WAC schools called the CTBA not the other way around?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:57 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

tkalmus wrote:
seanbo wrote:

"The schools that have been in contact with either league are: Idaho, Louisiana Tech, New Mexico State, San Jose State, Texas State, Texas-San Antonio and Utah State from the WAC; Florida Atlantic, Florida International and North Texas from the Sun Belt; and Charlotte from the Atlantic 10."

Charlotte is the most interesting, and I'm shocked that UMass, Buffalo, Ohio, and Miami OH haven't been contacted...

I think with Temple out of the mix, there is less interest in the northeast nor the midwest. Since ECU and Marshall are still in, a Florida presence does indeed make plenty of sense. I'd still think that UNT would be high on the list due to the Dallas presence, as well as Utah St. for SLC. But the northeast might be a stretch. UMass would make sense...but only with Temple in as well. Because if you are going to stretch all the way north, you need that rivalry to make it worthwhile. No Temple, no need to go north. Would think Ohio would be a decent fit as well with Marshall nearby.

For Charlotte, it makes sense. Granted, it's not the same league they left since most of CUSA is in the Big East now. But they have football, need a home, CUSA/MWC makes sense.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:03 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Charlotte is really the only hope of a FCS/Start up that would have a chance because of their relationship w/ CUSA and being a former member.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:20 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Charlotte is really the only hope of a FCS/Start up that would have a chance because of their relationship w/ CUSA and being a former member.

And their presence in the Charlotte market, even if it is limited. This time, it's more about markets then even market penetration. FIU/FAU, Utah St. etc are similar examples as none have the market penetration of their other in-state rivals yet remain high candidates.

But you can't really rule out UTSA, a startup, as well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:04 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I still see #1 FIU, #2 UNT. Then be done for a while. If/when the BE picks the #14 western schools that they say they'll do, it will open up a spot. Which will need to be west. #3 Utah St.(unless it's fresno that leaves and they feel that CA needs to be back in the CTBA then SJSU gets it) Rumor says BE hits up BYU again, then AFA again, then Fresno, Fresno would probably say yes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:11 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
I still see #1 FIU, #2 UNT. Then be done for a while. If/when the BE picks the #14 western schools that they say they'll do, it will open up a spot. Which will need to be west. #3 Utah St.(unless it's fresno that leaves and they feel that CA needs to be back in the CTBA then SJSU gets it) Rumor says BE hits up BYU again, then AFA again, then Fresno, Fresno would probably say yes.

That would be the bare minimum on expansion setting up a 9/9 split, if they are trying to get a big TV contract they have to at least go 10/10 with Utah St (or SJSU) and FAU (or LA Tech for fb strength).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:45 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

That would be the bare minimum on expansion setting up a 9/9 split, if they are trying to get a big TV contract they have to at least go 10/10 with Utah St (or SJSU) and FAU (or LA Tech for fb strength).

I think you stop at 9/9 so you can get 1 cross over game. If you have 10/10 no cross over. Might as well just be 2 conf. part of the fun is actually getting to play the CUSA in a conf. game. Really after 18 what does it add. Are 2 more schools like USU and MTSU going to bring in more $$$ per school than 18 w/ UNT and FIU?

MTSU is probably one of the best on the field other than Troy that the SBC has to offer. It would get us back into Tenn. if 20 is a must. FAU & La Tech aren't needed since we will have Fla (FIU) and already have Tulane in La.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:55 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I agree with you for the most part but I think LA Tech is the best fb school not in the Big 6, MAC, MWCUSA. The turnover in the SBC is too crazy to say anyone is solid in fb year in year out but LA Tech has been pretty good for a while now not consistently #1 in the WAC (like last year) but typically in the top half.

FAU would just double the Fl presence and help the SE schools with recruiting the state.

I like MTSU as well, don't think Troy has a shot, Ark St would be a better fit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:41 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
I agree with you for the most part but I think LA Tech is the best fb school not in the Big 6, MAC, MWCUSA. The turnover in the SBC is too crazy to say anyone is solid in fb year in year out but LA Tech has been pretty good for a while now not consistently #1 in the WAC (like last year) but typically in the top half.

FAU would just double the Fl presence and help the SE schools with recruiting the state.

I like MTSU as well, don't think Troy has a shot, Ark St would be a better fit.

I think only UNT, FIU, FAU have a shot if 18. But yeah, if La Tech is more solid, f*ck the market, like I've been saying all along when we get down to this level, if you have a good market like UNT, but suck and have Texas, Texas A&M, TCU, SMU, Oklahoma and OSU ahead of you in that market for fandom, then just give me a better school like La Tech who's in Ruston/Shreveport area. So.Miss and ECU have far better football programs than the 1 hit wonder SDSU and fill the stadium. But since SD is big they get to go to the BE. USC, UCLA have more fans in SD than SDSU.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:02 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

In 2013 there are projected to be 16 C-USA and Mountain West members in 2013.

18 and a 9/9 split is the best scenario for them:

East: ECU, Marshall, FIU, FAU, UAB, So Miss, Tulane, Rice, Tulsa
West: UNLV, Fresno, Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado St, Air Force, Wyoming, (Hawaii), UTEP

You could invite Denver for Hawaii's slot in the other sports.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next