NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:38 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 810 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 54  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:53 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Jackson with comments from USM President and AD regarding future C-USA expansion and tomorrow's scheduled MWC/C-USA meeting.Link at http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20 ... 7CHome%7Cs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:16 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
w/ your UL to the Big 12, AFA to the BE scenario. If MtUSA takes Temple it will be for fb only so they will have 16 fb, 14 all sports.

Or, if the Big 12 holds at 10, MW/CUSA could invite Temple for FB only and one other school for all-sports (North Texas, LA Tech, FIU, etc...) going with 16 all-sports/18 football (slide UTEP to west for FB). That way if they wanted to stick to 8 conference games, there doesn't need to be any cross-overs (until the championship game, of course).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:58 am 
All-Star
All-Star

As a future member of this thing, my 1st vote is 16/16 w/ Hawaii as a full member and if someone else leaves get another full member like FIU. 2nd would be be 14/16 w/ Hawaii and Temple for fb only. 3rd 16/18. I hate 15/16 or 16/17

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:03 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Philly reporting that Temple President and AD met with C-USA officials yesterday in Dallas.
BTW,no word yet on how yesterday's scheduled MWC/C-USA merger talks went.Stay tuned.Link at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/col ... rence.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:03 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Here's Mc Murphy's report on the realignment of MWC and CUSA:
http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/34822810

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:51 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

I'm unlocking the CUSA and MWC threads:

Note that ALL "merger" or "alliance" related posts should continue to be posted in the

CUSA & MWC Merger/Alliance Thread

Save the dedicated CUSA or MWC threads for NON-MERGER or NON-ALLIANCE posts. This will include straight up expansion at this point, like if CUSA adds FIU or North Texas, or the MWC adding Utah St. or SJSU.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:31 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I'd be vehemently opposed to a full merger between CUSA and MWC. I think it doesn't work for either side.

What would work for each conference would be turning on the other.

C-USA should invite UNLV, Nevada and New Mexico from MWC, North Texas, FIU and Charlotte.
West: UNLV, UNR, UTEP, New Mexico, Tulsa, Rice, North Texas
East: Tulane, So Miss, UAB, Marshall, ECU, Charlotte, FIU

MWC should invite UTEP, Tulsa, Utah St, San Jose State and North Texas
West: UNLV, UNR, FSU, SJSU, UNM, UTEP
East: CSU, AFA, WYO, USU, Tulsa, UNT

Survival of the fittest.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:07 pm 
Senior
Senior

JPSchmack wrote:
I'd be vehemently opposed to a full merger between CUSA and MWC. I think it doesn't work for either side.

C-USA should invite UNLV, Nevada and New Mexico from MWC, North Texas, FIU and Charlotte.

Survival of the fittest.

Agree 100%!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:10 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

JPSchmack wrote:

Survival of the fittest.

Why go all the way out to Reno and Vegas and leave out Fresno that's 5 hours away w/ an airport? Make 0 sense! Nevada has a good team but shitty facilities and no market.

You're just fulfilling SJSU's delusion that the core of the MWC would join CUSA and that CUSA would take crappier teams just to save a few hundred miles :roll: You might as well merge over leaving out the state of CA yet go all the way to the CA/NV border. AFA and CSU not good enough for CUSA either? AFA would be their best get.

The biggest point is no one is going to pay a big exit fee for a sideways move. Only UTEp w/ CUSA blessing(meaning they are still working together) would be allowed to move if they want.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:24 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
JPSchmack wrote:

Survival of the fittest.

Why go all the way out to Reno and Vegas and leave out Fresno that's 5 hours away w/ an airport? Make 0 sense! Nevada has a good team but shitty facilities and no market.

You're just fulfilling SJSU's delusion that the core of the MWC would join CUSA and that CUSA would take crappier teams just to save a few hundred miles :roll: You might as well merge over leaving out the state of CA yet go all the way to the CA/NV border. AFA and CSU not good enough for CUSA either? AFA would be their best get.

The biggest point is no one is going to pay a big exit fee for a sideways move. Only UTEp w/ CUSA blessing(meaning they are still working together) would be allowed to move if they want.

Except the "core" of the MWC you chose to join is playing in the Pac 12, Big 12, Big East, or independent in the future. More than half the schools will be former WAC schools in a couple seasons. You talk like Utah and Boise are still BCS busting for the MWC and will continue to do so for years to come.

I still agree it won't happen but one raiding the other makes a heck of a lot more sense than a merger. Now, I don't say go to Nevada (but I definitely see why adding UNLV would be nice), I say add UNM plus a school of their choosing to sweeten the deal. But as JP says, the MWC could make a similar offer to UTEP. Bring in UTSA and/or N. Texas to give them some more travel partners. The MWC does have slightly better basketball at this point.

Fact is these two conferences have been far too friendly with each other. Someone should have gone for the other's throat! Ensure they stayed the #7 conference in the nation.

What is interesting though is that the MWC wasn't even sure it wanted to go back into Texas after TCU announced it was leaving for the Big East but now are considering a coast to coast conference.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:17 am 
All-Star
All-Star

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
JPSchmack wrote:

Survival of the fittest.

Except the "core" of the MWC you chose to join is playing in the Pac 12, Big 12, Big East, or independent in the future. More than half the schools will be former WAC schools in a couple seasons. You talk like Utah and Boise are still BCS busting for the MWC and will continue to do so for years to come.

I still agree it won't happen but one raiding the other makes a heck of a lot more sense than a merger. Now, I don't say go to Nevada (but I definitely see why adding UNLV would be nice), I say add UNM plus a school of their choosing to sweeten the deal. But as JP says, the MWC could make a similar offer to UTEP. Bring in UTSA and/or N. Texas to give them some more travel partners. The MWC does have slightly better basketball at this point.

Fact is these two conferences have been far too friendly with each other. Someone should have gone for the other's throat! Ensure they stayed the #7 conference in the nation.

What is interesting though is that the MWC wasn't even sure it wanted to go back into Texas after TCU announced it was leaving for the Big East but now are considering a coast to coast conference.

Every conf. always has a core, the core may shift but there is a core. The BE core is now UL, Cin, Rutgers, USF, UConn. It was WVU, Pitt, Cuse, UConn, Rutgers. Where do I even talk about BCS busting? Fact is MWC has 3 good fb teams in AFA, Nevada, Fresno CUSA has the same in Tulsa, ECU, S.Miss. MWC has better basketball even w/ the departures. Sure they've been too friendly but no one makes much more money than the other and no one will leave if they have to pay 5 mill to do it. Now if they can get a 900K deal like Fresno and Nevada did, sure something could happen. The only school I see doing something like that is UTEP. But still it's a long shot.

And yes your version was geographically more logical than JPs not going west of UNM.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:44 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The 108th Market and this erector set shouldn't pass Fresno, AFA, on any conf list.
Nevada: Football 29,993, Basketball 11,536 built 1983

Fresno: Market #55, Football 41,031, Basketball holds 15,554 built 2003

AFA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:32 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Tulsa World article with comments from TU AD regarding probability that MWC/C-USA will be announcing "some type" of joint working arrangement in the near term.Link at http://tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/artic ... EGOO994833

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:39 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

FSA,

more about the BCS finish for the next formula than anything else. Although, at this juncture, waiting to see the shape of the next BCS contract is prudent.

I think that a full merger of the two leagues essentially acknowledges they are second class citizens in the land of FBS football.

There's NOT a lot of great options left for either side, but short of forming a new conference with the "best of," I don't see good solutions for anyone.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:43 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

JPSchmack wrote:
FSA,

more about the BCS finish for the next formula than anything else. Although, at this juncture, waiting to see the shape of the next BCS contract is prudent.

I think that a full merger of the two leagues essentially acknowledges they are second class citizens in the land of FBS football.

There's NOT a lot of great options left for either side, but short of forming a new conference with the "best of," I don't see good solutions for anyone.

I embraced that in 1984 when I started watching college fb. Nebraska was my team that could win a title and Fresno was my home town team. I also thought back then when Fresno was in the PCAA that, that was different from the NCAA and that one day Fresno could get in the NCAA :? :lol: . I was 7 so....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 810 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 54  Next