NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:56 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 929 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 62  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:18 am 
All-Star
All-Star

From the MWC board

UTEP's press release about the five new C-USA schools.

"Conference USA has added five outstanding institutions," said UTEP Director of Athletics Bob Stull. "This is a great move to increase the stability of our league. We are particularly excited about the additions of North Texas and UT San Antonio. C-USA will continue to have a footprint state-wide and our alumni in Houston, Dallas and San Antonio will have the opportunity to watch our teams play. In today's ever-changing college landscape, Conference USA is proactively seeking opportunities to grow, including engaging in continued discussions with the Mountain West Conference."

Conference USA and the Mountain West will continue to discuss a future affiliation that could begin as early as 2013. Both Conferences agreed that adding membership at this time was important and have carefully coordinated new membership plans. Additional expansion remains a possibility."

CUSA and MWC have carefully coordinated new membership plans

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:37 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Congrats to my Frienemy SJSUfan2010, for his Spartans joining in the MWC yesterday. :D

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:21 am 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Congrats to my Frienemy SJSUfan2010, for his Spartans joining in the MWC yesterday. :D

Thank you sir. I just hope you guys don't jump ship as soon as we come aboard. At the very least the rivalry is scheduled to resume again in 2014 no matter what, but hopefully now we'll have 2013 as well.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:32 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Thank you sir. I just hope you guys don't jump ship as soon as we come aboard. At the very least the rivalry is scheduled to resume again in 2014 no matter what, but hopefully now we'll have 2013 as well.

If the WAC lives w/ BSU or AFA is happy in the Summit they'll go to the BE.

I don't know what route the BE would go if Louisville ever ends up in B12 and if it would be w/ BYU or alone or the B12 settles for Cincy, Rutgers

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:32 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Reno with comments from Nevada AD and MWC Commish regarding possibility of BSU and SDSU returning to the MWC at http://www.rgj.com/article/20120506/SPO ... 60082/1018

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:17 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Article out of Boise talking about discussing where all-sports instead of football could go and if Boise could be heading back to the Mountain West.

http://www.kivitv.com/news/topfive/150386415.html

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:21 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Suppose Boise St. gets into the BW for its Oly sports, and decides to follow through with this God-awful Big East football-only arrangement, and SDSU follows suit.

Would the MWC offer Idaho and NMSU a defined-term several-year contract to be a MWC football-only member, which would get them to 12 FB members and a CCG ?
(I'm envisioning an agreement that could be terminated after [say 3 years] by the MWC if the MWC were to have better options at that time in the future).

Perhaps this could be MWC's fall-back position.
As long as Boise / SDSU are still in play, the MWC would officially express "no interest" in Idaho and NMSU.....

Right now, MWC, Sun-Belt, and Big XII are only conferneces that haven't planned to get to 12 football mmebers, and Sun-Belt and Big XII are seriously considering it.
I picture MWC and CUSA wanting to each have a CCG on some Saturday before Christmas, and then set the winners up to face each other in a semi-major Bowl game
as close as possible to New Year's Day.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:39 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

tute79 wrote:
Suppose Boise St. gets into the BW for its Oly sports, and decides to follow through with this God-awful Big East football-only arrangement, and SDSU follows suit.

Would the MWC offer Idaho and NMSU a defined-term several-year contract to be a MWC football-only member, which would get them to 12 FB members and a CCG ?
(I'm envisioning an agreement that could be terminated after [say 3 years] by the MWC if the MWC were to have better options at that time in the future).

Perhaps this could be MWC's fall-back position.
As long as Boise / SDSU are still in play, the MWC would officially express "no interest" in Idaho and NMSU.....

Right now, MWC, Sun-Belt, and Big XII are only conferneces that haven't planned to get to 12 football mmebers, and Sun-Belt and Big XII are seriously considering it.
I picture MWC and CUSA wanting to each have a CCG on some Saturday before Christmas, and then set the winners up to face each other in a semi-major Bowl game
as close as possible to New Year's Day.

all depends on the CUSA alliance issues.

They've got 24 schools right now, so that's a factor. For all we know, they have some sort of plan IF the alliance works out, that would send UTEP and say UTSA to the MWC with Rice and UNT in CUSA.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:35 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

That's a possibility, but it would have to wait until AFTER UNC-Charlotte and ODU are geared up for FBS football (supposedly in 2015).

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:06 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

tute79 wrote:
That's a possibility, but it would have to wait until AFTER UNC-Charlotte and ODU are geared up for FBS football (supposedly in 2015).

yes, but it's when not if: both will have CUSA FB. If the MWC does anything that means 26 schools. 13/13 less ideal

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?zgc2jq

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:38 am 
All-Star
All-Star

CBSSports blog article with comments from MWC Commish regarding the future of his league at http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... nce-future

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:11 am 
All-Star
All-Star

So, about Boise's withdrawal...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:53 am 
Senior
Senior

See above post...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... t-millions

If I'm the MWC, I would pay the whole 5 mill to the Big East and welcome Boise back.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:24 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/ ... w-from-mwc

Andrea also thinks that this Saturday June 30th is decision day for Boise State.
Either they forge ahead with BE commitment (and Oly sports will at least temporarily be in the depleted WAC), or they do some re-trenching.

Their decision would be helped by knowledge of whether or not they will get invitation to Big West,
and whether or not MWC will get a "temporary AQ to BCS for 2012 / 2013" before all AQ's are scheduled to go away (word on this could possibly come this Tuesday,
but that may be overly optimistic.

The BE will likely continue to maintain their own AQ through 2013, however that only helps BSU in 2013, since they are in MWC FB for 2012.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:02 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

We'll likely know in a few days what's up with Boise St.

But I must say, based on the playoff developments, I'm starting to think the MWC might be a better option. If the criteria for getting in the playoff is being in the Top 4 of some kind, with a committee selection, one has to think that winning the MWC, which might be easier, and finishing undefeated, would be more probable than doing so in the Big East. Boise St. has less travel in the MWC for football, so travel won't take it's toll as much. The MWC, if it kept Boise St. and SDSU could even have a championship game, making it harder, but giving Boise St. that extra game to beat a higher ranked school for SOS purposes.

The benefits of the Big East are known...a higher valued TV contract. And rightly so due to the region and the BE brand.

But in a path to the playoff, the MWC might be the best bet for Boise St. at this point.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 929 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 62  Next