NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:44 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: SoCon Expansion
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:43 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

tute79 wrote:
Does anybody have any thoughts regarding whether UNC-Wilmington (no football) would be happier in a southern-based conference (like perhaps the SoCon)
instead of being something of an out-lier in the CAA ?

UNCW is happy with the current membership of the CAA although they would like a more local rival like CoC or Coastal. With Georgia St leaving, Coastal is likely the slide into that role which would definitely make life better for UNCW.

With GMU staying I don't really see a need for UNCW to pursue the SoCon especially since Coastal is likely to be added. The only reason UNCW became interested in the SoCon was because it looked like VCU, GMU, and ODU (UNCW's peer schools in the CAA) were all leaving. Now that at least GMU is staying, and JMU and WMU are likely to stay put too, if Coastal can be added to fill in for Ga St, UNCW will have no real reason to leave. VCU staying would just be icing on the cake. Stealing CoC in an effort to get to 14 would be even better!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:37 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Charleston with comments from SoCon Commish regarding his league's realignment situation at http://www.postandcourier.com/article/2 ... 229&slId=2

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:41 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Andy Katz blog article(previously posted in another thread)with comments from SoCon Commish regarding possible CAA raid on the SoCon at http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... basketball

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:50 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

If SoCon wants to continue its 9/12 model and loses Davidson and Charleston then Campbell, Winthrop, UNCA, and even ETSU would be solid non football replacements. If football schools are wanted Coastal and Kennesaw would be great public schools while Gardner Webb would be a good private school pickup. FCS Private schools though are slim pickings

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:29 am 
All-Star
All-Star

SI article discussing Davidson/CAA situation at http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... =cb_t11_a0

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:24 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Burlington(previously posted in another thread)discussing CAA attempt to raid the SoCon at http://www.thetimesnews.com/sports/conf ... mpact.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:36 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Article reporting SoCon is giving "The SoCon Three" a 7/4 ultimatum to commit or declare.

I'm thinking the schools either announce something tomorrow or Tuesday by end of business day.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:37 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
Article reporting SoCon is giving "The SoCon Three" a 7/4 ultimatum to commit or declare.

I'm thinking the schools either announce something tomorrow or Tuesday by end of business day.

I read that this morning and almost shared. But then I realized it might be factually completely off.
The SoCon has a straightforward exit fee structure: $300k if given 2 years notice, $600k for 1 year notice.
So why would a 7/4 deadline mean a thing? If the schools want to leave with 1 year notice, then it means they are willing to pay the $600k. Since the news out of UNCW are for a xmas timetable for an announcement, then it would seem like these schools wouldn't join until at least 1 year later.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:33 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn -

I think you could be right about this being false.

a) why would you set a Holiday as a dead-line ?
b) the NCAA dead-line for making changes effective July 1,2013 is June 30, 2012, so if they REALLY want to join the CAA for 2013,
they would need to declare their conference affiliation to the NCAA by this Saturday.

If a school tells the SoCon office, "We are still proud members of the SoCon, until further notice", what's the conference going to do ?

I can only see the CAA issuing ultimatums regarding "We need an answer by this date !" in this situation.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:01 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Has SoCon shot this down yet? Was the CAA "formal invite" to those three ever confirmed? CoC supposedly responded with "no comment," making me wonder if this is all just one big fishing trip.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:20 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The big picture is that the SoCon seems like there's a very good shot that the schools will leave, why else would they get all huffy?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:31 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

SoCon shoots down the 7/4 ultimatum.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:08 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

If the SoCon loses Davidson and College of Charleston I wonder who they will replace them with? Liberty, Coastal Carolina, and Jacksonville St seem to be the logical choices but which of those 3 gets left out?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:15 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
If the SoCon loses Davidson and College of Charleston I wonder who they will replace them with? Liberty, Coastal Carolina, and Jacksonville St seem to be the logical choices but which of those 3 gets left out?

I don't think the SoCon wants 11/12 by adding 2 fb. I think UNCA could be 1 of the 2. Of course Elon could go too, so you could take 2 fb and 1 bball. Also App St. and Furman could go, seems unlikely.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:12 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Charleston(previously posted in another thread)with comments from C of C AD regarding possibility of his school leaving the SoCon in the near future.Link at http://www.abcnews4.com/story/19097682/ ... caa-school

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next