NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:20 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 94  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:23 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

seanbo wrote:
tute79 wrote:
I found answer to my own question.... this Thursday (May 24th)

http://www.theupsetblog.com/2012/05/ut- ... -2013.html

This will take the Sun-Belt to 10/12, although UTA MIGHT add football around 2016.
Wonder if Sun_belt will go further any time soon, maybe adding 2 more FB schools from: NMSU, Appy. State, Georgia Southern, Jacksonville State.....

I would love for them to take Appalachian State and Georgia Southern. I honestly believe they are the best 2 schools out there and they are great geographic fits.

I don't get why SBC doesn't want 12 fb and a title game. That's 1 more espn televised game for their bottom ranked conf. They could use the exposure, plus App and Ga Southern have great fan bases.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:32 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
I don't get why SBC doesn't want 12 fb and a title game. That's 1 more espn televised game for their bottom ranked conf. They could use the exposure, plus App and Ga Southern have great fan bases.

The CCG is a no brainer, Karl is dumb if he can't show the presidents that. The fb only options with Idaho and NMSU are easy, straight up adding NMSU is a hard sell.

App St seems to be a no brainer too, why not they have a better shot at being the next Boise than anyone that's upgraded so far...

GA Southern seems like a hard sell to me since they already have GA St on board. I don't think they're expanding in order to start a rivalry between those two or for the Savanna market...but if they go to 14 or 16 I could see the appeal.

I think the best bang for their buck will be a Texas school (I know I'm biased but how can you go wrong) like Lamar or Sam Houston St or possibly a Virginia school like Liberty or James Madison but that may stretch the footprint a bit too far for a league that still legitimately cares about its travel costs (NTM they may eventually end up in the MAC).

But seriously why not go to 14 full fb members to go with the 2 non fb ones for 16 and take Idaho/NMSU as fb onlys for 16.

WEST fb (bb quads) (UTA/Idaho, Texas St, Lamar, SHSU) (Ark St, UALR/NMSU, ULL, ULM)

East fb (bb quads) (WKU, MTSU, Troy, SO AL) (GA St, GA SO, FAU, App St)

Leaving out a few in the Carolina's this takes just about everybody that's worth taking in all the South in the FCS wants to jump, establishes clear divisions, and add some great markets.

Its not like the Arklatex schools actually care about playing the SE schools so why not split them up?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:44 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Lafayette discussing SBC expansion and this week's league meetings at http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20 ... /205220325

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:43 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Can't stress it enough, seems to me that App St. and GA Southern to the Sun Belt makes too much sense. App brings a new market, a good area for the SB and a program that in all areas can compete with the SB schools. GA Southern gives the SB even more presence in Georgia...a market CUSA has no presence. You'd have the SB with 2 schools, SEC with 1, ACC with 1.

Just do it already, get it over with.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:36 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Those 2 are solid FCS programs. Appy won 3 titles in a row recently (2005 - 2007).

I'm thinking Appalachian State and Jacksonville State (who has visions of a rivalry with Troy) had done some studies or prep to get ready for FBS.
My recollection is that Georgia Southern had looked into it, but was hesitant to make the jump.
To suddenly be asked to buck up for FBS and make the jump, without having done the necessary studies of how to finance it, leaves on in an awkward position....
(sort of like ODU was, with CUSA).

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:34 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
Those 2 are solid FCS programs. Appy won 3 titles in a row recently (2005 - 2007).

I'm thinking Appalachian State and Jacksonville State (who has visions of a rivalry with Troy) had done some studies or prep to get ready for FBS.
My recollection is that Georgia Southern had looked into it, but was hesitant to make the jump.
To suddenly be asked to buck up for FBS and make the jump, without having done the necessary studies of how to finance it, leaves on in an awkward position....
(sort of like ODU was, with CUSA).

Ga Southern is ready again. That was their last study, 5 years ago or so.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:22 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Bowling Green reporting that as expected the SBC has announced the addition of UT Arlington.Link at http://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/sun-b ... 963f4.html

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:54 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

SBC blog article discussing SBC realignment situation at http://www.arkst.com/?p=1788

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:08 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Any chance that if the SBC can't get Appy St and Georgia Southern interested in joining that they would offer football only invites to New Mexico St and Idaho to get to 12 and a title game? They seem to be without a conference at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:48 am 
All-Star
All-Star

There was speculation that Karl Benson (who was their conf. commissioner in the WAC, and has moved on the SunBelt) would make an effort to "take care" of those schools.

Recently he addressed the issue, specifically with regard to Idaho and NMSU, and said no more expansion AT THIS TIME.

My speculation is that IF Boise State, SDSU, and perhaps a 14th team from the West (current member of the MWC) go ahead with FB only in Big East,
then the MWC will be at only 9 FB members and might give one or both of thsoe schools a look as a FB only member. We'll see....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:29 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

GA Southern is really in a good strategic location and has an enthusiastic fan base for their level. They would be able to sustain themselves at the FBS level in a mid-major type conference. The problem is financial investment; having the big donors, alumni, and the continued elevation of student activity fees, for the upgrades/expanded facilities, salaries, and related cost factors such as offering additional scholarships, to make the jump. When additional monetary needs are sought from the University System of Georgia, it engages other institutions with power (namely UGA), and also becomes a taxpayer issue.

With the economy in a long lull, tuition is steadily going upwards, the State making certain educational cutbacks or curbing increases, and the troubling issues surrounding student loans, timing is bad for institutions to have residual and supplemental cash to finance a new level of sports by choice, rather than by necessity.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:48 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Dothan with comments from TSU Chancellor and SBC Commish regarding SBC realignment situation at http://www2.dothaneagle.com/sports/2012 ... ar-3985937

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:44 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Murfreesboro with comments from SBC Commish and others regarding recent SBC realignment negotiations and moves.Commissioner Benson also says that SBC is not currently in expansion mode.Link at http://www.dnj.com/article/20120708/BLU ... ons-league

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:47 pm 
Senior
Senior

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Murfreesboro with comments from SBC Commish and others regarding recent SBC realignment negotiations and moves.Commissioner Benson also says that SBC is not currently in expansion mode.Link at http://www.dnj.com/article/20120708/BLU ... ons-league

Still think the Sun Belt is foolish for not taking Appalachian State and Georgia Southern.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:35 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I agree--Appalachian St and Georgia Southern were no brainer additions. My guess is that Karl Benson and company are being cautious and waiting to see how things pan out in the Big East and the other conferences higher up on the food chain before making any additional moves.

Perhaps he is hoping for the Big East to collapse and its football schools raiding C-USA to create a new league and then the SBC would be in a position to propose a merger between whoever is left in C-USA and the SBC.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 94  Next