NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:35 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 929 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 62  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:30 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Maybe I'm dreaming, but since the Big XII champ may go to a semi-final, and their #2 go to this Champs Bowl (wherever that is),
would the Fiesta (when not hosting a semi-final) consider the MWC Champ vs. CUSA Champ match-up ?
Would that fill up a 64,000 seat stadium and draw a decent TV audience (I think most years, they'd have 2 decent teams).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:30 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Whatever that core conference was named, what is currently named "Mountain West" has been strong. It's just never been able to get a good TV deal to save its life.

Not even Boise, SDSU, BYU, AND UTEP/Tulsa could get more than a couple sets on one of the ESPN third-tier channels or weeknight relegation. It's not the quality of the product. It's the unfortunate location.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:21 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

BCS denied a request by MWC for a exemption to gain an automatic BCS berth for its champion in the 2012 and 2013 seasons.

So Boise St. likely make their MWC departure a formality.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:57 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Not sure BSU to BEFB is now a certainty, but this makes it more likely.
BE will still have that AQ in 2013, and BSU may think it'll be easy pickins.
However, what is the revenue sharing formula within BE FB ?
Equally-shared ? Or do the more successful teams earn a disproportionate share for their school ?

Today's action removes the possibility that BSU could miss out 2 big paydays as a result of making 2 BCS Bowls as a member of MWC.

Not sure when BSU expects a decision from the Big West.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:19 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I don't consider the AQ thing the final straw for Boise. The system goes away in two years, and when it does, the Big East and MWC will be indistinguishable from each other on paper. Both will become "have-not's."

But should Boise decide to make this BEF "mistake" anyway, I fully expect them to announce renewing their ties with the Big Sky. For Boise, this last-second finagling is all about getting something better from the Big West, or (and yes, I mean this) an all-sports invite to the Big East.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:31 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
I don't consider the AQ thing the final straw for Boise. The system goes away in two years, and when it does, the Big East and MWC will be indistinguishable from each other on paper. Both will become "have-not's."

But should Boise decide to make this BEF "mistake" anyway, I fully expect them to announce renewing their ties with the Big Sky. For Boise, this last-second finagling is all about getting something better from the Big West, or (and yes, I mean this) an all-sports invite to the Big East.

I agree wholeheartedly that the Boise/SDSU in the Big East thing is dumb, and that Boise State's presence decides which conference is better.

However, the areas the Big East is more attractive for Boise State:
-- Slightly better competion (CIN, USF, UCF in final BCS rankings five times in last five years; NEV, HAW in BCS rankings twice in last five years)
-- An East Coast conference means more TV dollars. Regardless of the difference in product, the Big East can offer basically four time slots to TV: 12/1 ET, 3/3:30 ET, 7/8 ET, 10/11 ET (at SDSU, at Boise). The MWC can offer three.
-- Bowl Tie Ins.
Big East (SEVEN) Orange (status TBA), Russell Athletic (Orlando), Pinstripe (NY), Beef O'Brady's (St. Pete), Liberty (Memphis), Compass (Birmingham), Belk (Charlotte).
MWC (FOUR): Las Vegas (Duh), Poinsettita Bowl (SD), Armed Forces Bowl (Ft. Worth), New Mexico (Albuquerque)

And they'll be attractive as at-larges for the Fiesta and Idaho Potato (with the WAC being toast) either way.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:43 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

JPSchmack wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly that the Boise/SDSU in the Big East thing is dumb, and that Boise State's presence decides which conference is better.

However, the areas the Big East is more attractive for Boise State:
-- Slightly better competion (CIN, USF, UCF in final BCS rankings five times in last five years; NEV, HAW in BCS rankings twice in last five years)
-- An East Coast conference means more TV dollars. Regardless of the difference in product, the Big East can offer basically four time slots to TV: 12/1 ET, 3/3:30 ET, 7/8 ET, 10/11 ET (at SDSU, at Boise). The MWC can offer three.
-- Bowl Tie Ins.
Big East (SEVEN) Orange (status TBA), Russell Athletic (Orlando), Pinstripe (NY), Beef O'Brady's (St. Pete), Liberty (Memphis), Compass (Birmingham), Belk (Charlotte).
MWC (FOUR): Las Vegas (Duh), Poinsettita Bowl (SD), Armed Forces Bowl (Ft. Worth), New Mexico (Albuquerque)

And they'll be attractive as at-larges for the Fiesta and Idaho Potato (with the WAC being toast) either way.

You forgot Hawaii bowl and Humanitarian would stay if BSU did.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:40 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I don't think it's just the money that makes this jump a mistake, but more rather the drop in quality Boise's other sports will befall, and the public embarrassment the program is receiving for not appearing to have executed this jump without due diligence.

Yes, the TV money is always going to favor the Big East as long as there are metropolitan schools in that conference, but the MWC is more stable and serves a much-needed upgrade for Boise's ollies. This is a program that sees itself as someday being a PAC-12 school. Do you get that through the Big West, Big Sky, or Summit, or doing good work in the Mountain?

Boise needs to show signs of life in other sports rather than just football.

Did anyone catch what McMurphy reported, only for CBS to retract regarding Boise missing the deadline? He confirms SDSU has the penalty-less withdrawal clause on their contract!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:15 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Boise discussing BSU/MWC situation at http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/06/3 ... se-st.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:09 am 
All-Star
All-Star

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2012/0 ... ntain_west

The deed got done... with under two hours to spare.

Drama queens, the lot of 'em. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:46 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I have to get a little chuckle out of this one. Thank you, Big West, for not indulging the Big East and ESPN.

My fascination with Boise has run its course. If you ever want to know how a college athletic program shouldn't do business, Boise could write that book for you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:48 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Hope they enjoy the trips to Storrs and Piscataway.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:28 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Andy Katz article(previously posted in another thread)discussing BSU/MWC situation at http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... ntain-west

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:39 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Boise State seems like the pretty girl who is never satisfied with who she is dating... always having an eye out for something better.

They pined away so long for membership in the MWC - who can forget Kustra sending a bouquet of roses a few years back, while BSU was still in the WAC ?
Now they are leaving, 2 years after being invited to join.... 2 years must be a lifetime to Kustra.

No word yet from the Big West, I take it.... I feel they should make some accomodations for a school like CSU-Bakersfield, but not at all for Boise State.

Love to see MWC turn around and invite Idaho and NMSU, and have the BE experiment turn out badly for BSU.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:00 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
No word yet from the Big West, I take it.... I feel they should make some accomodations for a school like CSU-Bakersfield, but not at all for Boise State.

Oh, I think the Big West was living this up. Or, at least, their social media guys were. Did anyone else see the now-retracted tweet commenting on the volume of traffic Big West's site and the number of followers last night? They were just milking this Hawaii thing up for all its worth, and to actually field something about the Boise matter, laughing about it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 929 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 62  Next