NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:01 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 820 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 55  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:02 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

I could see UTEP to the MW and Georgia State to the C-USA...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:58 pm 
Senior
Senior

parke044 wrote:
I could see UTEP to the MW and Georgia State to the C-USA...

Without Boise and SDSU, is a MW with no Texas teams more attractive to UTEP than a conference with 3 Texas schools, UTSA, Rice and North Texas?

I would think they would be more interested in a CUSA division with UTSA, Rice, North Texas, Tulsa, Tulane and LT over a MWC division with New Mexico, Air Force, Colorado State, Wyoming and Utah State.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:26 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

UTEP could go either way.
Look where El Paso is on the map, though... WAY over under New Mexico in the Mountain Time Zone.
They are more "Rocky Mountain" than Texas proper.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:37 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

C-USA scored a huge victory in the brinkmanship that is college football alignment this spring. Their additions of North Texas, and more importantly UTSA, effectively built a wall around Texas keeping UTEP in and the MWC out. Had the MWC gained a foothold in Texas by picking up those two schools not only would they have Texas tv dollars but an attractive lure for the UTEP Miners as they enjoy playing away games in front of their alumni in East Texas. Unless the MWC can get Boise and San Diego St back C-USA will be the wealthier of the two conferences.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:43 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
C-USA scored a huge victory in the brinkmanship that is college football alignment this spring. Their additions of North Texas, and more importantly UTSA, effectively built a wall around Texas keeping UTEP in and the MWC out. Had the MWC gained a foothold in Texas by picking up those two schools not only would they have Texas tv dollars but an attractive lure for the UTEP Miners as they enjoy playing away games in front of their alumni in East Texas. Unless the MWC can get Boise and San Diego St back C-USA will be the wealthier of the two conferences.

Not according to the TV contract and proposed contract. MWC is looking at between 2-4 mill per school, I'm thinking more on the 2 side. CUSA makes 1.3 mill per school? 3rd and 4th schools in the state don't seem to be worth as much a 1st & 2nd schools in the state even if the states have smaller populations, minus CA.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:12 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I stand corrected on the finances of C-USA and the MWC but I still think that the MWC would have been stronger with the Texas schools than it will without them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:40 am 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
I stand corrected on the finances of C-USA and the MWC but I still think that the MWC would have been stronger with the Texas schools than it will without them.

Not just you, I believe that is a fact. UTEP and pick any other Texas school name out of a hat to put us at 12 is better than what we have. UTEP and UTSA>NMSU and Idaho

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:58 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Probably right, but MWC was holding onto hope for BSU / SDSU.

I sort of doubt they will hold at 10 for FB.
Maybe the MWC will get active once BSU is in BW and gone for good....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:49 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

Not just you, I believe that is a fact. UTEP and pick any other Texas school name out of a hat to put us at 12 is better than what we have. UTEP and UTSA>NMSU and Idaho

Personally, I would go for Tulsa, UTSA, and UTEP full time (12 full members) and bring in either NMSU or Idaho as football only (for balance purposes only).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:15 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

Personally, I would go for Tulsa, UTSA, and UTEP full time (12 full members) and bring in either NMSU or Idaho as football only (for balance purposes only).

I'd make Hawaii a full member, take the 3 CUSA schools you have and UNT, but I'm not in charge and CUSA stole texas from us pretending that they were our friends.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:57 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I have agree with tute. They are hoping the Big East-West experiment fails and Boise and San Diego St come limping back. It would be a real added bonus if when they came back they brought Southern Methodist and Houston with them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:48 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Looks like ODU football is having a LOT of trouble making a schedule for 2013. Right now, they have ONE game booked for the 2013 season.
http://hamptonroads.com/2012/08/impendi ... bling-book

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:54 am 
All-Star
All-Star

An interesting article, Jeff. Some transitional schedules can look very unusual, with extremes in both directions.
Wonder if Stewart has contacted Idaho and/or NMSU? Idaho is certainly struggling to develop next year's fb schedule. It would not be profit-focused for either, but if one needs games and pickins' are so slim, better to have a "game(s)" than "no games" to offer.

I wonder if these AD's and fb coaches of FBS & FCS schools have some kind of internal clearinghouse or system at their disposal to know what schools have near future open dates, what they are looking for, what levels are acceptable, and their degree of flexibility to make schedule changes, etc.?
Having to call and re-call a 100 or more schools to find next year's opponents is very time-consuming with considerable pressure, and the vast number of contacts end up being frustrating.

The nice thing about being an established member of a very stable conference is there are few headaches in putting together schedules. Sometimes a bump does happen with well-established conference schools. When WVU left for the B12 and had to cancel a game with FSU; FSU ended up adding Savannah State. FSU already had Murray State scheduled as an OOC softie. But that's just one game to deal with, not an entire schedule for the next year.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:58 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

From the Virginian-Pilot, ODU will play a full CUSA schedule in 2014, a year early:
http://hamptonroads.com/2012/09/odu-wil ... edule-2014

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:44 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Hampton Roads with comments from ODU AD and ECU AD regarding possible impact on C-USA from future BE realignment at http://hamptonroads.com/2012/11/confere ... ad-company

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 820 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 55  Next