NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:41 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 661 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 45  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:34 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
Not just OVU (according to the article) but Davis and Elkins, and Alderson-Broaddus (which has been reported in another thread as a done deal).

That would create a new home for all of the abandoned members of the former WVIAC, except Bluefield State.
It said that Bluefield State was reconsidering or "pulling out" of the deal to join the GMAC - where the hell do they plan on going ?
Maybe they think they'll be assured of getting the WVIAC auto-bids to all of the D-II championships until the conference is de-certified by the NCAA... (how sneaky !)

Here's the done deal from a couple days ago
http://www.gobattlers.com/news/archives ... e-we-come/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:59 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
tute79 wrote:
Aha - Didn't know they are an HBCU. FYI- a USCAA member school called Virginia Univerity of Lynchburg had been eyeing membersip in he CIAA.

Found this article, stating that UP-J and Seton Hill to PSAC becomes official today... (some of the details regarding the WVIAC break-up aren't exactly correct...)

http://www.wjactv.com/news/sports/colle ... 013/nRGLZ/

Problem is CIAA has all fb schools, even Va-Lynchburg has it. So they go 12/13 or 13/14? Conf Carolinas lost a couple of members and Bluefield St. is geographically close if the CIAA thing doesn't pan out.

I had thought that too but it seems to me expansion in HBCU conferences is less about even numbers and football and more about helping each other out. Just look at the MEAC with it's 11/13. But I would assume if they are backing out they have a plan.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:18 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The MEAC was shooting for even numbers, and they were somewhat committed to inviting North Carolina Central and Savannah State to get to 12 / 14.

Then Winston-Salem State had "issues" and had to drop back to D-2. So they are stuck with 11/13.

Very much like the Big Sky. Big Sky invited SUU, South Dakota and North Dakota as a threesome. At the last minute South Dakota got an offer from Summit / MVFC
and so Big Sky wound up with 11 schools + 2 football affiliates.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:26 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
tute79 wrote:
Aha - Didn't know they are an HBCU. FYI- a USCAA member school called Virginia Univerity of Lynchburg had been eyeing membersip in he CIAA.

Found this article, stating that UP-J and Seton Hill to PSAC becomes official today... (some of the details regarding the WVIAC break-up aren't exactly correct...)

Problem is CIAA has all fb schools, even Va-Lynchburg has it. So they go 12/13 or 13/14? Conf Carolinas lost a couple of members and Bluefield St. is geographically close if the CIAA thing doesn't pan out.

I had thought that too but it seems to me expansion in HBCU conferences is less about even numbers and football and more about helping each other out. Just look at the MEAC with it's 11/13. But I would assume if they are backing out they have a plan.

You'd think but the CIAA never let UDC in, they ended up joining the ECC who needed members bad at the time. UDC was Indy forever

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:12 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

So Bluefield State must have SOME plan (or idea...). What is it ?

Post subject: MOUNTAIN EAST CONFERENCE
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:45 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The presidents of twelve universities, nine in West Virginia, two in Ohio, and one in Virginia,
jointly announced the formation of a new all-sports collegiate athletic conference to be named
the Mountain East Conference.

The new twelve team league's charter membership will include:
Concord University (W.Va.),
Fairmont State University (W.Va.),
Glenville State College (W.Va.),
Notre Dame College (Ohio),
Shepherd University (W.Va.),
The University of Charleston (W.Va.),
The University of Virginia's College at Wise (Va.),
Urbana University (Ohio),
West Liberty University (W.Va.),
West Virginia State University (W.Va.),
Wheeling Jesuit University (W.Va.),
West Virginia Wesleyan College (W.Va.).

"We are extremely pleased to announce the formation of the Mountain East Conference,"
stated spokesperson Reid Amos on behalf of the twelve presidents of the new alliance.
"The goal of this effort has been to align like-minded institutions with similar budgets and
goals across a regional footprint. We strongly believe that our charter membership creates
a solid foundation that provides mutual benefit and secures the athletic future for our
institutions. We will collectively make every effort to provide a high-quality experience for
our student-athletes in Mountain East competition."

http://wesleyanbobcats.com/sports/fball ... 082000gn0n
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mountain- ... 1153422779

Last edited by bige on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:06 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
tute79 wrote:

You'd think but the CIAA never let UDC in, they ended up joining the ECC who needed members bad at the time. UDC was Indy forever

UVL is not even a NCAA member so the CI is not look at them
and they have already rubbed some CI folks the wrong way
UDC is a mess and have been for years CI would not touch them with a ten foot pole

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:08 am 
All-Star
All-Star

bige wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
tute79 wrote:

UVL is not even a NCAA member so the CI is not look at them
and they have already rubbed some CI folks the wrong way
UDC is a mess and have been for years CI would not touch them with a ten foot pole

Va-Lynchburg isn't even NAIA, but their goal is D-II CIAA, there was an article on it. If they rub them the wrong way then they'll probably never get in.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:18 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I wonder if Notre Dame College will be bringing its football to the Mountain East of they can arrange to stay in the GLIAC for the sport. They have a nice set up for football as it is--playing 7 Ohio schools (and 2 Michigan ones) a year and having 11 football playing members in the MEC is awkward--adding UVA-Wise and Urbana and letting NDC stay where they're at makes a lot of sense.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:27 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Followup article out of Parkersburg regarding NCAA D-2 GMAC expansion story involving OVC and others at http://www.newsandsentinel.com/page/con ... l?nav=5063

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:31 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Texas with comments from NCAA D-2 Lone Star Conference Commish regarding his league's realignment situation at http://ketr.org/post/lsc-commissioner-w ... in-unified

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:22 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

OVC, Davis & Elkins, Alderson-Broaddus officially to the GMAC. So the Bluefield State mystery moves to the forefront.

Lone Star Conference (after Abilene Christian officially departs) will consist of:
Eastern New Mexico
Cameron (Oklhoma)
6 Texas co-ed schools
Texas Women's College.

I would expect them to start lining up some replacement schools from:
D-3 American Southwet Conf. (ASC) & Sothern Collegiate Athletic Conf. (SCAC)
and / or
NAIA Red River Conf. & Sooner Athletic Conf.

The D-2 Great American Confernece (GAC) now consists of 6 Arkansas schools and 5 Oklahoma schools. Expect them to add a 12th school from Oklahoma within a year....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:13 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
I wonder if Notre Dame College will be bringing its football to the Mountain East of they can arrange to stay in the GLIAC for the sport. They have a nice set up for football as it is--playing 7 Ohio schools (and 2 Michigan ones) a year and having 11 football playing members in the MEC is awkward--adding UVA-Wise and Urbana and letting NDC stay where they're at makes a lot of sense.

All sports in the MEC for all the schools. Wheeling doesnt have fb.

Central St. is the only fb only option in the GLIAC in their footprint, they could go out of it and take Ky Wesleyan or wait for someone else to move up to the GMAC and take them. However w/ the GMAC having 4 fb schools when G'town joins, they'd just need 2 more for it to be a conf sport. The Mid South has lots of schools to choose from. MEC has a goal of 14 fb schools. They're looking into Pikeville, Frostburg St., Bluefield, G'town(they could jump from the GMAC before they ever get there, like Va-Wise)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:21 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
OVC, Davis & Elkins, Alderson-Broaddus officially to the GMAC. So the Bluefield State mystery moves to the forefront.

Lone Star Conference (after Abilene Christian officially departs) will consist of:
Eastern New Mexico
Cameron (Oklhoma)
6 Texas co-ed schools
Texas Women's College.

I would expect them to start lining up some replacement schools from:
D-3 American Southwet Conf. (ASC) & Sothern Collegiate Athletic Conf. (SCAC)
and / or
NAIA Red River Conf. & Sooner Athletic Conf.

The D-2 Great American Confernece (GAC) now consists of 6 Arkansas schools and 5 Oklahoma schools. Expect them to add a 12th school from Oklahoma within a year....

McMurry is D-II fb indy and Heartland member, Wayland Baptist is starting fb and I bet they want to move up to D-II. I heard on the D-II board that Mary-Hardin Baylor will probably move up from D-III when their 8-10K seat stadium is done.

OPSU seems to want to stay Indy for fb. So the other options for the LSC are Heartland bball schools in Tx.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:15 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Gotta say I was a little disappointed to hear that Urbana and Notre Dame will be going to the Mountain East. I envisioned that someday there would be a great all-Ohio Buckeye Conference at the D-II level consisting of:

Lake Erie College
Notre Dame
Ursuline (women's sports only)
Walsh
Malone
Ashland
Tiffin
Findlay
Mount Vernon Nazarene (no football, currently NAIA)
Ohio Dominican
Urbana
Cedarville (no football)
Central St

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 661 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 45  Next