Assuming that IUPUI, IPFW & OU leave for the Horizon; the following radical realignment is the best I think the SL could go to (a lot of pieces to fall in place):
1. Add Chicago St. (yes, I know their past history), but at least it adds a school in the Chicago market.
2. Add UND, gives you a FCS FB school, gets UND in a conference with its neighbors and gets the BSC to 12 members.
3. Add Denver with the demise of the WAC
4. Raid the OVC for SEMO, SIUE & EIU for FCS FB schools and to round out the conference.
New Alignment would be:
West (Plains) Division
East (Prairie) Division
The conference remains geographically sensible, has some large city markets (Chicago, *STL (SIUE), KC & Denver), is/maintains a competitive balance with some state universities, regional/directional state universities, etc. Finally, it creates a FCS FB League.
SL FB Conference =
5. UNO *Bring the program back, does this require State of Nebraska approval?
9. Valpo *Associate Member: I believe non-scholly FCS conferences/teams are now eligible for the playoffs. Valpo remains in Horizon for all others.
MVC FB would then become:
1. Drake (Same reason as Valpo)
7. YSU (Becomes full MVC Member w/ SLU for 12 Team Conference)
8. Butler - Assoc. Member (Same reason as Valpo, remains in A10 for others)
9. Dayton - Assoc. Member (Same reason as Valpo, remains in A10 for others)
The rest of the MVC members would be (Divisions TBD):
Horizon would then be:
Dare I say thoughts?
Dare I say dream conf. thread is where this belongs.
Why would OVC schools leave for the Summit that just lost 3 members according to you, and add more travel? They wouldn't
The MVC will never allow the Summit to sponsor fb. They'd add a couple of Summit members just to make sure it would never get off the ground. Valpo is non scholly can't afford to have 63 schollies.